Jim Rutherford "likely out in Pittsburgh"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
How do people expect Pittburg to win with Letang, Erhoff, Pouliot, and Maaata all injured?

It's not his fault. I think the pens would actually be leading the series right now if aty least 2 of those guys were healthy. The inability to generate offense from the back-end is so evident when watching the games.

roboninja

EYG
Aug 3, 2006
Rutherford was never a good GM. I was shocked when he got the job in PIT and am not surprised things have not worked out.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
JR might be done after one year but he hasn't done a bad job. I think he has done ok with the cards he was dealt. No GM is going to look good with the injuries to the defense. Rossi is a hack, always has been.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
He should've never been hired?

He's been terrible for years and everyone knew it.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
My role is to provide opinion.

“Well, your opinion is (expletive),†Rutherford said

This sounds like a line from Step Brothers. What a little man child *****.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
everyday? has he been doing it everyday or was this the first time?

Dejan Kovacevic said "Things like this happen all the time in this business." However, he was referring to the relationship between people covering the business and those actually involved. This is the first time a spat between the two has gone on record.

Edit: and it might even be that big of a deal.

He should've never been hired?

He's been terrible for years and everyone knew it.

Except those from the "look at what he did in 2006" crowd.

evermix*

Fire JR, hire Chiarelli. Fire the coach, hire Babcock or McLellan.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
False. The Pens have a 2.33 GAA through their first three games against the Rangers, and that is with an injury-depleted defense.

EDIT: although, he didn't necessarily have to build one. His only alterations were flipping a couple of players (Despres/Lovejoy, Bortuzzo/Cole), and those moves haven't really improved the team.

This, however, is what he has "failed miserably" at.
The Pens won the Cup relying on the forwards and a one-legged Gonchar for offense, throwing out Orpik/Gill-Scuds/Eaton, and daring the other team to shoot through them. That blueprint is in the garbage, even though Letang is an obvious Gonchar replacement and Maatta is a growing two-way guy.

The Pens defense is obviously better when it's not injured, but it also contains too many offensive players (especially when multiplied by not-great defensive forward support) to really get me hyped about its potential in the playoffs.

Last edited:

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The Pens won the Cup relying on the forwards and a one-legged Gonchar for offense, throwing out Orpik/Gill-Scuds/Eaton, and daring the other team to shoot through them. That blueprint is in the garbage, even though Letang is an obvious Gonchar replacement and Maatta is a growing two-way guy.

The Pens defense is obviously better when it's not injured, but it also contains too many offensive players (especially when multiplied by not-great defensive forward support) to really get me hyped about its potential in the playoffs.

And that's just your opinion. Try waiting to see a healthy defense before categorizing it as a failure.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Most sports columnists would get banned for message boards for being opportunistic trolls.

I'm not fan of Rutherford (he did an awful job in Carolina and got extremely lucky one year), but Rossi's criticisms are way off. Take two top 4 d-men off of ANY team and they're going to struggle. The Neal trade was a decent return and getting Ehrhoff on a 1 year deal was a steal.

I didn't like the Perron deal, but, overall, the team struggled down the stretch and got a bad draw playing NYR vs playing the Isles/Caps where they'd be better suited.

Rutherford shouldn't engage him though outside of the press conferences/media scrums. This is just asking for trouble and giving a troll fodder to attack you with.

He didn't get "extremely lucky" he built that team from the ground up and made some major clutch deadline moves. The Canes also made the finals in 02 as the 16th best team in the league and nearly upset Pittsburgh in 09. Granted he's sucked since, but still.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Both are right and both are wrong.

JR is right that Rossi sucks. Rossi is right that JR sucks.

JR is wrong to call out Rossi publicly, no matter how cathartic is may have been. Rossi is wrong to put something in print that, while in public, was not necessarily on the record therefore making the story about him.

The best option is to fire both.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Lol at "go sell ice cream now".

Rossi is a joke, but i don't really feel comfortable with Rutherford as GM. Still scratching my head about the hire, considering what he did to Carolina.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
He didn't get "extremely lucky" he built that team from the ground up and made some major clutch deadline moves. The Canes also made the finals in 02 as the 16th best team in the league and nearly upset Pittsburgh in 09. Granted he's sucked since, but still.

The Canes were swept by a score of 20-9. They turned heads en route to facing the Pens, but they didn't "nearly upset" them when they got there.

As for past teams he built... those are years ago. His recent work suggests he has no idea how to put a contender, let alone a playoff team together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad