Management Jim Montgomery

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I don't know that I'd call Cassidy a players coach when he was fired because he lost the locker room.
All coaches have their expiration date. I'd say Cassidy is more of a player's coach than an X's and O's/system coach like Claude Julien. Maybe Cassidy was right about some of the players on this team.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The forward group just can't get there in time, they are far too slow as a group.

Panther's D have also been great at little bits of interference keeping forechecking forwards from getting to loose pucks early enough to matter.

Bruins forwards can also make better dump-ins. To many hard-ring arounds when it should be a soft dump cross-corner, and vice-versa.

JVR, Maroon, Brazeau, and Geekie are below-average speed-wise. Zacha, Heinen, and Frederic are average at best from a speed/skating perspective and lack those strong first few strides. That group last night might of literally been the slowest group of forwards dressed by any team in the NHL this season. I don't think it's hyperbole at all to say that.
That is interesting what you said about the Florida defense causing some interference, but they never got called other than Ekblad who was called twice one with 38nseconds left in the game Lindholm got called twice in the third period and I think they were questionable after watching Florida the whole game.

Reactions: BruinDust

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
All coaches have their expiration date. I'd say Cassidy is more of a player's coach than an X's and O's/system coach like Claude Julien. Maybe Cassidy was right about some of the players on this team.
I think he was pretty bang on about the group tbh but the players weren’t gonna listen to him either same as Monty.

I don't know about Monty but after a decade of service, I'm fine with handing Joe Sacco his walking papers.
Only after the fruit throwing ceremony, after so many playoff D failures under his watch it’s warranted.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
That is interesting what you said about the Florida defense causing some interference, but they never got called other than Ekblad who was called twice one with 38nseconds left in the game Lindholm got called twice in the third period and I think they were questionable after watching Florida the whole game.

I didn't like the Lindholm call just inadvertent contact IMO I'm not sure how he avoids it. Panther's D-men are intentionally causing interference to Bruins forwards and getting away with most of it.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
When I see players just not responding I remember an older Gordie Howe joke about when he played in the playoffs. He joked guys tried so hard to win because when you lost you went back to the farm to work all summer because you had to earn money. Now millionaire kids lose and their punishment is a beach vacation on the islands and golfing.
I wonder if he was on to something.

ProdigalFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Mar 2, 2011
Mansfield, MA
When I see players just not responding I remember an older Gordie Howe joke about when he played in the playoffs. He joked guys tried so hard to win because when you lost you went back to the farm to work all summer because you had to earn money. Now millionaire kids lose and their punishment is a beach vacation on the islands and golfing.
I wonder if he was on to something.
My dad grew up in East Cambridge. He used to see several Bruins players during the summer driving around and delivering cases of bottled soda to neighborhood grocery stores and picking up the empties for refilling. This was back in the late 1940's.

Reactions: mjhfb

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Montgomery has done well with this roster. There's only so much you can do as a coach. If anyone should be fired it's Sweeney. He should not be allowed another coach. Cassidy is a great coach. Monty is a very good coach who has won everywhere.

There's not a coach in the league who is taking this group further with Coyle and Zacha at center, McAvoy and Lindholm not giving you enough. The roster is routinely outplayed just about every playoff game. Don Sweeney hit on Jeremy Swayman and that's why we're even in this round.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I also don't think Jim Montgomery is as soft as he might appear. I think it's an organizational thing. Montgomery played for Shawn Walsh at Maine and I saw his maniacal side while at Denver. He has that craze in him. He'd be pulling his hair out if he had any watching this passive, ultra soft team.

False Start

May 8, 2018
I didn't like the Lindholm call just inadvertent contact IMO I'm not sure how he avoids it. Panther's D-men are intentionally causing interference to Bruins forwards and getting away with most of it.
We are sometimes guilty of embellishing this. But it seems to be Florida's MO to do it every chance possible.

Shame on the refs for rewarding this behavior.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I think the system he implemented and his motivational speaker ra-ra inspirational shit works in the regular season and gets the most points they can when you're playing a different team every night, but in the playoffs he's just getting outfoxed, the holes in his system get exploited by good coaches when they see it over a whole series, and he doesn't have the temperament to make confident decisions, falling back on panic moves, and the inability to respond to the officiating is just sad.

If they had Trotz or Ruff or someone they'd have finished with fewer points, probably a third seed or WC, but they'd actually be much more able to compete over a series.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Monty definitely over achieved with the team in the regular season but he is very easily and routinely out coached in the playoffs. He may learn he may not that’s the gamble.

We are sometimes guilty of embellishing this. But it seems to be Florida's MO to do it every chance possible.

Shame on the refs for rewarding this behavior.
Their D is slow, the bruins aren’t moving their feet and are allowing themselves to be held or interfered with. Once tied up they make no effort to get free, they just accept that play is dead and go for a change.

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
Politically correct p***y, just like the FO. Enraged and embarrassed by their comments to the media regarding the officiating.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I understand that he changed how this team breaks out of their zone this season due to not having Bergeron anymore and for not causing odd-man rushes, but the 2D > 1F system that involves dumping it around the boards isn't working either.

The Bruins have been their best when they play with pace and make quick, short, accurate passes. The dump-ins aren't helping either. Just skate through the defense.

Former Bruin and St. Mark's coach Carl Corazzini has pointed to this several times on Bruins Rinkside Post Game repeatedly. Like, since the beginning of the TO series.

No adjustments. None.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
My dad grew up in East Cambridge. He used to see several Bruins players during the summer driving around and delivering cases of bottled soda to neighborhood grocery stores and picking up the empties for refilling. This was back in the late 1940's.
I used to attend Reds games in Providence during the late 1950’s. It was common for AHL players to have part-time jobs (bartenders, delivery men, etc.) during the season, as well as the summer. They were paid peanuts and couldn’t survive on hockey earnings alone.

Reactions: ProdigalFan

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I just don’t get the defensive system. It seems unorganized to me. I’m puzzled as to why they are so out of position all the time. Is it a zone, man or combo. Hybrid?

According to Sportsnet, the Bruins play zone defense.

I think it's a symptom of Florida's shoot-from-everywhere game plan. The bounces, rebounds, loose pucks, etc. pull Bruins out of position and the longer Florida remains in the zone, the more and more out of position the Bruins are.

I do find it interesting that there are only two teams listed here who play man-to-man, NYR and Carolina. The Bruins are a combined 1-5 vs. them this season and the last time the Bruins played the Rangers, their man-to-man D smothered the Bruin players. If the Bruins find a way to pull this series out of a hat, it doesn't bode well that the one of the two teams who play man-to-man will be waiting for them. Although the article does point out that some GMs believe it's very difficult to win a cup with a man-to-man defensive system as it requires a lot of energy and less positioning. Meanwhile, a well-executed zone is considered the hardest to beat.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I just don’t get the defensive system. It seems unorganized to me. I’m puzzled as to why they are so out of position all the time. Is it a zone, man or combo. Hybrid?
Doesn’t help that a lot of the time they’re scrambling because they turned the puck over trying to go up ice

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
According to Sportsnet, the Bruins play zone defense.

I think it's a symptom of Florida's shoot-from-everywhere game plan. The bounces, rebounds, loose pucks, etc. pull Bruins out of position and the longer Florida remains in the zone, the more and more out of position the Bruins are.

I do find it interesting that there are only two teams listed here who play man-to-man, NYR and Carolina. The Bruins are a combined 1-5 vs. them this season and the last time the Bruins played the Rangers, their man-to-man D smothered the Bruin players. If the Bruins find a way to pull this series out of a hat, it doesn't bode well that the one of the two teams who play man-to-man will be waiting for them. Although the article does point out that some GMs believe it's very difficult to win a cup with a man-to-man defensive system as it requires a lot of energy and less positioning. Meanwhile, a well-executed zone is considered the hardest to beat.

Great post, all I have to add though is that if the Bruins were to somehow come back and beat the panther's I couldn't care less what happens after that. Coming back down 3-1 after last year and the way this series has gone would be like a cup win for me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad