Jim Jackson

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
JJ is a pro. Anyone who complains about the guy needs to listen to some of the other local guys in the US.... we are lucky.

Keith Jones is excellent.

Clement has become an insufferable homer. His squeals when someone makes a big save or the "no!" after a late stage penalty are truly embarrassing.

Therien still seems green to me. Makes lots of nervous, clumsy remarks and rarely asserts himself. He'll get better.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
JJ's pretty good, a bit of a homer at times but I always prefer the CSN feed on gamecenter.

Whenever my Dad talks about Clement he always says "Billy still calls the game a tilt".

The fact that Keith Jones + JJ (sometimes) are on national TV is a testament to their quality.

Also Therien is a riot lol

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
JJ is a pro. Anyone who complains about the guy needs to listen to some of the other local guys in the US.... we are lucky.

Keith Jones is excellent.

Clement has become an insufferable homer. His squeals when someone makes a big save or the "no!" after a late stage penalty are truly embarrassing.

Therien still seems green to me. Makes lots of nervous, clumsy remarks and rarely asserts himself. He'll get better.
Haven't pointed that out myself for fear of backlash, but if there's a bigger homer in broadcasting then I haven't heard of him.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Steigerwald and Errey are still the worst. They're dead serious in their homerism.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Eh, it's one thing to have a guy like that in a non-hockey market.

But I imagine the majority of Philly fans who tune in want to hear serious hockey analysis, not a thinly veiled cheerleader.

JJ has his homer moments, sure. It's tough to be objective when Comcast signs your paycheck.

But Clement flat out insults the viewer's intelligence with his one-sided BS.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
And let me add: there is nothing more annoying then when he breaks into open laughter after a good play by a Flyer.

As if he's so awestruck by what he's seeing that he literally can't control himself.

Neuvirth's poke check in the MTL shootout was a good example. Nice play, sure. But let me enjoy it please Bill - don't pull a Pierre.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I liked Therien on radio because he was pretty inappropriate at times had funny stories but on TV he doesn't bring any of that.

I really enjoyed a national game with Boucher between the glass and I'm definitely a fan of JJ and Jones. Those three would be my Flyers TV broadcast dream team.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
And let me add: there is nothing more annoying then when he breaks into open laughter after a good play by a Flyer.

As if he's so awestruck by what he's seeing that he literally can't control himself.

Neuvirth's poke check in the MTL shootout was a good example. Nice play, sure. But let me enjoy it please Bill - don't pull a Pierre.

Or when someone misses a shot or the opposing goalie makes a save and he sighs loudly.

cheesesteakarmor

Jul 18, 2009
As someone who only gets to enjoy games via Internet radio feed, I really miss the banter between Saunders and Therien.

Saunders and Coatsey are pretty decent, but you can tell there's a big generation gap.

I miss listening to Therien online.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
JJ is the man! Therien is growing on me. I like Clement despite the homerisms. Jones is very good.

JJ is very good and Jones is another who I like a quite a lot. I love his sense of humor and quick wit. Bundy needs to lighten up some and in time I hope he does. Funny but I did not know Bill upset so many. Listen to some other teams broadcasts on the radio and TV and maybe then you will feel a little better about what we hear in the Philly area.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Ugh, yeah. I was expecting better of Clement.

There's a difference between leaning towards the team your covering, and being biased enough that it pollutes your coverage. Clement is often guilty of the latter.

I had enough of him back when Bryz was here and when Bryz would give up a 60 foot unscreened shot he would say something like "cant fault Bryz for that, perfectly placed shot"
We complain about other teams homers but Clement is a homer poster child. I get that he has to toe the company line, but its one thing to do that then make comments that just either insult or piss off the die hard fans of this team.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Jones is one of the best out there. Jack Edwards may be a homer but he is one of the most entertaining guys out there so I make sure once the flyers play the Bruins I'll watch the bruins feed.

PensBrony 6 9*

I used to have a lot of respect for the guy. he's a pro, able to call a good game of hockey, baseball, etc. on short notice, good voice (for hockey at least), etc. but his one flaw is his banter. it seemed like towards the end of coatesy's stint on tv he was really laying into him and i thought it was pretty disrespectful, which is why i say i lost respect for him. he'd no-sell points he was trying to make, make mean-spirited comments, etc. as if he was trying to highlight how bad coatesy was. I mean, as a friend of mine once said, the guy was a joke, but it was a good joke. The tv crew got a lot less entertaining when he left and jim jackson came off like a dick/bully towards the end.

Not only that, but he talks down to all the former players he works with and jokes around with them as if they were plugs and it comes off really awkwardly considering he's never played the game.

I guess it could be worse though, the other side of the coin is the phillies teams the past few years. a guy like tom mccarthy, who is balls deep on every former player no matter what stupid thing they're saying, has a terrible voice/style, and has nothing funny or interesting to talk about during a 4 hour baseball game because he's a giant nerd, matt stairs and jamie moyer, who come off like they're doing the games from a library or like a funeral or something, or chris wheeler, who i'm sure was thrilled when they hired mccarthy because they somehow found the one possible person in the world who's a bigger goober than him. Mike schmidt is the only saving grace of that lineup

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Interesting comment on JJ. I don't think it's nearly as bad as you say, but I know what you mean.

Therien made a comment in the Buffalo game about how disappointed Neuvirth was to be traded a year or two ago "... to BUFFALO", sounding like he was bagging the town. Jackson sounded a little annoyed and mentioned that "I'm from the upstate NY area and it's lovely", etc, all with a few chuckles but there was some edge in his voice. For the rest of the game, I noticed Therien seemed ultra-nervous and Jackson would sort of dismiss his comments in an unhelpful way.

These are the things you notice when your team is (mostly) a bore.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Jones is one of the best out there. Jack Edwards may be a homer but he is one of the most entertaining guys out there so I make sure once the flyers play the Bruins I'll watch the bruins feed.

I actually like Edwards. He just has the passion & excitement level of a fan so he often gets called a homer but he gets just as excited when big moments happen for other teams too. I generally just find the guy funny with his calls.

He's also pretty complimentary of the Flyers when they play the Bruins.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I actually like Edwards. He just has the passion & excitement level of a fan so he often gets called a homer but he gets just as excited when big moments happen for other teams too. I generally just find the guy funny with his calls.

He's also pretty complimentary of the Flyers when they play the Bruins.
Because they play "the right way". He loves physical hockey. It's always funny how emotional he can get during hockey fights.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Cant believe how hard people here are on Clement. His analysis is very good. Sure he is a homer, but he has been a Flyer through and through for the last 40 plus years of his life. What else would you expect?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad