Jim Jackson

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
Hate the flyers (naturally as a Pens fan) but always enjoyed (at least listening to) Jim Jackson. Have not listened to him enough to form a real good opinion

Anyway I was pleasantly surprised when he did the Penguins-Wings game last night. My question is, is this the first time to your knowledge he's done a national coverage game? Is this something that can maybe be expected going forward more often?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hate the flyers (naturally as a Pens fan) but always enjoyed (at least listening to) Jim Jackson. Have not listened to him enough to form a real good opinion

Anyway I was pleasantly surprised when he did the Penguins-Wings game last night. My question is, is this the first time to your knowledge he's done a national coverage game? Is this something that can maybe be expected going forward more often?

He's filled in for NBC before over the years. I think he did one of the games last year on "Hockey Day in America" for them.

He seems to just be a fill in guy on the rare case that they don't have enough people available since he's here on the East Coast & is employed under the Comcast umbrella.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
JJ has done nationally televised games before. Ive also heard him call a Phillies game or two.

Hes my favorite play by play guy. Obviously ive heard him the most of any others but i think he's great. Sometimes his banter isnt great, but he doesnt usually indulge in that, except when Clement and Jones are around, he likes joking with them. I remember when Doernhoeffer was around, he was a fun guy as well.

But yeah, if they had to replace Doc someday, i think people would be really happy with Jackson behind the mic

Last edited:

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
He's very good at play by play. His banter has annoyed me more and more over the years. Wish he would stick more to play by play and get a higher quality color guy

flountown

Dec 30, 2008
Philadelphia
Ive also heard him call a Phillies game or two.

He does most of the Phillies games, only innings 4-6 on the radio.

He finishes out the Flyers' season and then starts subbing in the middle innings. I don't understand why, baseball play-by-play doesn't seem all that strenuous to require a break, but it is what it is I guess.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I've always been a fan, back to his radio days. He's got a great voice and calls a good game. He has his catch-phrases (left-handed larceny, etc.) but for the most part avoids overusing them (I'm looking at you, Doc). I don't mind my local color guys being a bit homerish, but he's always been a pretty fair guy anyway in my opinion. The only guy on the Flyers crew who I think crosses the line on being a homer is actually Clement, who I used to consider to be one of the top color guys in the league.

I actually like Therien, I learn more about the game from him. Jonesy and Clement, not so much.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Bill Clement ruined whatever good he had during his ESPN days since he joined the Flyers broadcast. Guy homer's it up with the best of them. The Flyers are never at fault with their shortcomings according to his insights.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
He does most of the Phillies games, only innings 4-6 on the radio.

He finishes out the Flyers' season and then starts subbing in the middle innings. I don't understand why, baseball play-by-play doesn't seem all that strenuous to require a break, but it is what it is I guess.

Eh they always do it for some reason. They did in TV when TMac came on for Harry the K

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Bill Clement ruined whatever good he had during his ESPN days since he joined the Flyers broadcast. Guy homer's it up with the best of them. The Flyers are never at fault with their shortcomings according to his insights.

Ugh, yeah. I was expecting better of Clement.

There's a difference between leaning towards the team your covering, and being biased enough that it pollutes your coverage. Clement is often guilty of the latter.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I do wonder how much of the homer-ism comes from what is directed from above...

I never thought about it until Therien moved from radio to tv... on radio he had no problem calling out bad plays and saying things kind of as they were... he is far more obviously on the 'Flyers side' now on tv.

Though I imagine Chris Therien had an enormous sit down from the higher ups on moving into TV, setting out just what would be acceptable and would not be. Half his stories on the radio, while hilarious, were 'close to the bone.'

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
JJ is the man! Therien is growing on me. I like Clement despite the homerisms. Jones is very good.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
To be perfectly honest, I've grown very tired of all of our broadcast team.

I can't stand broadcast homerism for any team, including the Flyers. I know they're not going to dump on them on their home network, but there's an enormous amount of space between homerism and overly critical.

For example, I almost ripped my hair out listening to them go on about what a great job Berube was doing during half of the broadcasts over the past two years. I'm not expecting them to say the guy is an idiot who has no business being coach, but they don't need to praise his stupidity. Just don't bring it up at all. This year they keep gushing about how important the Hakstol line has been. It's either a lack of intelligence or homerism, but either way it's annoying.

At this point I'd rather hear every game on NBCSN or NBC. I dont like Emerick much either but I'd rather hear him than our group. My favorite team is easily Miller and Ferraro.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
As someone who watches other broadcasts-- we are blessed to have Jim Jackson.

Try Colorado or Pittsburgh. It is DREADFUL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad