Jim Jackson

PensBrony 6 9*

Interesting comment on JJ. I don't think it's nearly as bad as you say, but I know what you mean.

Therien made a comment in the Buffalo game about how disappointed Neuvirth was to be traded a year or two ago "... to BUFFALO", sounding like he was bagging the town. Jackson sounded a little annoyed and mentioned that "I'm from the upstate NY area and it's lovely", etc, all with a few chuckles but there was some edge in his voice. For the rest of the game, I noticed Therien seemed ultra-nervous and Jackson would sort of dismiss his comments in an unhelpful way.

These are the things you notice when your team is (mostly) a bore.

Yeah I noticed that comment too. Maybe coatesy was just punch drunk from taking beatings from the evil jim jackson. Nah, in all seriousness, I just get the feeling that AT LEAST he likes to dish it out but he can't take it. He gets pretty personal with his chirps though, and if he was good enough friends with coatesy to bust his balls like that every night and it was cool, i don't know why he'd let them demote such a great buddy.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
And let me add: there is nothing more annoying then when he breaks into open laughter after a good play by a Flyer.

As if he's so awestruck by what he's seeing that he literally can't control himself.

Neuvirth's poke check in the MTL shootout was a good example. Nice play, sure. But let me enjoy it please Bill - don't pull a Pierre.

I hate to bump my own post, but having just seen Clement ROFL after Ghost's game winner...

:facepalm:

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
I'm down in TX, but catch all the Flyers games on the NHL package. It annoys the hell out of me when they sometimes only carry the other team's video feed. I like the Flyers feed more. And, I really enjoy listening to Jim Jackson

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Cant believe how hard people here are on Clement. His analysis is very good. Sure he is a homer, but he has been a Flyer through and through for the last 40 plus years of his life. What else would you expect?

I liked Clement the Player... I like Clement the person... and I don't mind Clement the Analyst but I take his words FWTW and often chuckle when he clearly overly shows his homeristic tendencies. As long as he analyzes he play on the ice in a fairly professional manner -- as in the technical aspects of it -- I can take his being a Fan-In-The-Booth... and only when it intrudes on his doing his job do I have a problem with it.

Jonesy is more transparent in he position and flys below the radar mos times... his humor is more dry and subtle, while I find Clement's to be more upbeat and pleasant for a Flyers Fan to listen to at times... It is when Clement makes his often paranoiac rants where the problem often arises... But again, as a Flyers Fan, I can live with it realizing that at that time he is one of us... and that he is a Flyers Alumni who is closer to the Team than even the Fans are.

As for Ghost's latest GWG that was pointed out by another Poster... Hey, it was a sudden conclusion done in a great manner by a Rookie who is thrilling us and hopefully the the Hockey Universe with his skill, heart and clutchness in a somewhat spectacular manner... and the Goal extended an NHL Rookie Record in also a sudden and spectacular fashion. I don't believe that anybody who is following Ghost's exploits could or would have acted in lesser manner... professional or not... He acted like I felt... And after all, he IS a color-man. haha

JMO

Mylec 22

Jun 2, 2010
I like Jack Edwards tbh. He can be a gigantic homer, especially when the game is getting physical, but he's entertaining.

R0Zcu9n.gif

"Lucic is just DRILLING Prout!!!!"

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire
Steigerwald and Potvin spring to mind.

The funny thing is, when Clement was on ESPN I used to think he hated the Flyers. :laugh:

This!!!

I know people (myself included to a point) rail on Clement for being a homer but anytime I would watch the Flyers on ESPN when Bill And Gary Thorne would call the games....Oy! Clement seemed to go ridiculously out of his way to prove he was not a homer. I actually called my Dad once and asked "Clement used to BE a Flyer right?"

I love it when the Flyers are on and they are playing the Philly feed of the game but then I do not get to listen to it every single game so maybe that's why I love the crew so much. Truth be told I think the broadcast is better when it's JJ, Jonesy and Therien.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Being a Flyers fan since 1970, and cutting my teeth on Flyers broadcasts with Gene Hart,
Gene's voice was so......so........so operatic! Oh he could have been a good Falstaff. He could go down to a high baritone when needed. JJ and Mike are high tenors next to Gene. Gene was a huge fan of classical music and opera. Hey why do you think his daughter is a singer????

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Being a Flyers fan since 1970, and cutting my teeth on Flyers broadcasts with Gene Hart,
Gene's voice was so......so........so operatic! Oh he could have been a good Falstaff. He could go down to a high baritone when needed. JJ and Mike are high tenors next to Gene. Gene was a huge fan of classical music and opera. Hey why do you think his daughter is a singer????

There will never be another Geno... and dare I suggest that without Gene Hart doing the games and educating the new fans of Philly, there's a good chance there is no fantastic knowledgeable Fan-Base... and possibly no successful Organization firmly established in Philadelphia. I've always said without Snider, Hart and Clarke there would be no Flyers Organization/History as we know it.

JJ is never held up to comparison with Gene Hart... we have set Gene aside on his own plateau... That said, Jackson has established his own special place in Flyers History, as an excellent PxP Man in his own right.

... Only those of us who lived through Hart's glorious tenure can fully appreciate what he did for the Flyers Organization and its fans. :handclap:

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
There will never be another Geno... and dare I suggest that without Gene Hart doing the games and educating the new fans of Philly, there's a good chance there is no fantastic knowledgeable Fan-Base... and possibly no successful Organization firmly established in Philadelphia. I've always said without Snider, Hart and Clarke there would be no Flyers Organization/History as we know it.

JJ is never held up to comparison with Gene Hart... we have set Gene aside on his own plateau... That said, Jackson has established his own special place in Flyers History, as an excellent PxP Man in his own right.

... Only those of us who lived through Hart's glorious tenure can fully appreciate what he did for the Flyers Organization and its fans. :handclap:

I 100% agree with this

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
As much as I give JJ **** (yes, I admit I do), I'd listen to him waaay before Steiggy and Errey.

"Now Bob, (random team) is a proud hockey team. They aren't just gonna roll over and let the Pens win..."

As homer as the Flyers crew can be, the Pens crew is just plain awful. Woe be unto hockey fans who find themselves forced to listen to them.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

If you remember in the early-to-mid 1990s, when a tenor named Jim Longacre did the national anthem(s) at the Spectrum. He performed with the Philadelphia Orchestra and assorted opera companies. The reason he did the games was because of Gene Hart's fascination, and eventual suggestion, with the genre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad