TSN: Jim Benning open to moving a defenseman for forward help

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Better be Guds or Sbisa.. or somehow Edler decides to waive to go to a contender.. any of them for youngish forward depth would be okay, preferally Edler and Guds so we can leave Sbisa open for the draft. Tanev/Hutton/Stecher/Tryamkin/Juolevi is a core I like. Only needs one more Top4, preferably Top2 guy promoted from the prospect ranks in the next couple of years.

bobg1

Sep 21, 2006
bc
Tanev
Edler
Gudbranson
Sbisa

Hutton
Stetcher
Tryamkin
Juolevi

The bottom four there are all young and look like sure thing top 4 or better at the NHL level.

I think you're stretching it a bit don't you think

scratchhayes*

Mar 24, 2016
Tanev is the big dog that everyone wants, wonder what the asking price is tho.

Figuring out what's fair value for him is hard because I haven't seen a player like him get traded in a long time (pure/elite defensive D who can move the puck but doesn't have much offense, hes on a great contract and is still young).

Personally i love him ;), he's most likely the type of player that GM's value very highly. Elite defensive D who can keep up in the modern day NHL.

That being said, title say's "moving a defenseman for forward help". It might be more of a retool move so they can make a playoff push (Hutton for someone).

Tanev is far from elite. He's having an average at best season. There are only a few elite defenseman. Tanvev is not close to being one of them.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Tanev is far from elite. He's having an average at best season. There are only a few elite defenseman. Tanvev is not close to being one of them.

Tanev's 'defense' is elite.

I think definitions need to change a bit here. The players that people refer to as being "true #1 Dmen", like Keith, Doughty, Karlsson etc... Are actually "franchise" Dmen. There are only a handful of such Dmen in the league, and there are 30 teams. By definition, perhaps 23 of those teams lack a "true #1 dman". Seems rather odd to categorize things in this way then.

If Tanev produced at top pairing rate defensively, which is about 26 points based on last year's top60 numbers, then he would absolutely be considered a #1 Dman. At that point, he would have elite shot suppression numbers and a top pairing scoring rate... What more could be required to be recognized as at least a #1 Dman? Not a Franchise dman. A #1 Dman.

As is, he's usually hovering around 20 points over a full year. My thinking is that the Canucks should just staple him to the Sedins and give him 1st unit PP time. That way, he could start to get the recognition he deserves around the league.

Gunnar Staal

Mar 17, 2004
That winning streak was probably the worst thing that couldve happened to the Canucks. It put them in the playoff hunt and will probably inspire to trade away young assets for rentals.

Sorry, Nucks fans.

KahunaBaby

Oct 31, 2011
Whalley, B.C.
That winning streak was probably the worst thing that couldve happened to the Canucks. It put them in the playoff hunt and will probably inspire to trade away young assets for rentals.

Sorry, Nucks fans.

Agreed but i prefer deals like this go down in the offseason than at the deadline. Deadline deals are fine if you want to flip rentals for picks but that's about it.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Sorry, Nucks fans.

It wasn't going to happen regardless. Benning has stated he wasn't going to ask any players with clauses, to waive them in order to be traded. There was no plan to move veterans out regardless of how the Canucks performed.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
What are you talking about? How did Hansen get into this arguement? Klein has another year after this and would seriously do a decent job in Tanev's place.
Do you know who Miller is?
You need some reading comprehension skills bud. Holy. I'm comparing the two players to one another. A potential 50-60 point medium sized centre that excels at nothing but is good at everything sounds so much like what we already have in Hansen and Horvat. Pass pass pass so fast I could be mistaken for Hank Sedin in the slot with the puck.

One of the best defensive D in the league is only slightly better than ****ing Klein? Really?
This. I'd like to see some recorded metrics. One even.

Ok.... please explain how Tanev is better than Klein.

Ya , I already explained that Tanev is better than Klein but he would be coming back as a cap dump but he has carved out a steady solid career for himself.

Please don't slip on your drool for Tanev there bud. Tanev is good but he isn't as great as your drool suggests.
Wow dude step away from the controller. This isn't EA NHL.

Edler for Ryan
Bad. Just bad. Hang your head in shame bad. Awful even.

[mod]

This probably isn't going to go anywhere, but what exactly makes Tanev better than or more valuable than Larsson?

Larsson at the time of the trade was 23 and on a $4.1m contract for the next 5 years.

Larsson is a mean SOB but brings the similar shutdown qualities that Tanev possesses. He's essentially what you'd get if you combined Tanev with Gudbranson.

Tanev also hardly ever shoots the puck. Just wondering.
Lol so the guy who was 1 season removed from being a healthy scratch multiple times for the top 10 draft pick position New Jersey Devils to being better than the guy who has been a top pairing defender for the previous 3 seasons?
Potential over production right. This is HF

Feels like there should be something workable between Toronto and Vancouver.
Just because something should be doesn't mean it is.

Alternate title: Jim Benning totally open to trading a Dman for a Taylor Hall-like forward if any team is as desperate as the Oilers to fix their blueline

Lol you laugh but the Leafs have been first in line for this deal all season. Hell going back to June just after the Rielly/Tanev showcase.

[mod]

I think it's the opposite to be honest, Tanev wouldn't be enough to get Gorton to move JT Miller.

Check out JTs numbers, and that is on a NYR that roll four lines and never have high scorers. Like he is what top 5-10 among LWs in the league in 5 on 5 scoring. Great pedigree. Proven winner and leader. Compare Miller to Hall, why are Hall ranked higher than Miller? Watch when NJ plays NYR, who is better? Different players, but the arguments are there for both sides.

But Gorton have more faith in NYRs defense than I do.
Probably why he's taken a Stanley Cup contender to a bubble team right. But hey I guess history is just fiction when it's on HF.

Larsson is younger, more well rounded as a player, has a better draft pedigree, has way more growth potential and has a better contract situation.
They're not even similar, also one bad deal does not set the precedent across the league.
Tanev gets you a top 40 league prospect and a mid first, and for that you just be thankful. That, or a scoring winger like JVR or JT miller.
Lol this isn't EA NHL where you can just add up overal value from random players. Need and fit come into play.
Why should the Canucks deal for more of what they have? We lack high end skill potential and have oodles of the 40-60 point potential types. Your lunch pale types. Why would you deal your best defenceman for either of those guys? It's not like there is a metric to show how much better the Canucks are as an on ice product with Chris Tanev on it right.

Wouldn't do that unless first is top 10 protected. Don't want the Kessel trade to be repeated
Canucks wouldn't do the deal anyways. Leafs should know by now what it'll take and yet they continue to post their crappy proposals here and get shot down and go on the offensive because you can't throw enough **** at the wall to make it stick.

Last edited by a moderator:

crazybagoham

Jun 11, 2015
Just checked the name. Yeah 2017 join date doesn't help. But that's an offer that would acquire a team a top defenceman.

Stevey Y has said a couple times he has no intention of Trading Drouin, but they do have plenty of other young forwards that might fit, dont know who their untouchables are though.... I like Kucherov :/

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Better be Guds or Sbisa.. or somehow Edler decides to waive to go to a contender.. any of them for youngish forward depth would be okay, preferally Edler and Guds so we can leave Sbisa open for the draft. Tanev/Hutton/Stecher/Tryamkin/Juolevi is a core I like. Only needs one more Top4, preferably Top2 guy promoted from the prospect ranks in the next couple of years.

As crazy as it sounds I'm kind of hesitant to move Sbisa now given that the left side is weakened with Hutton's injury and his improved play as of late.

He's still overpaid but he's definitely playing more like a 3.6M guy than league minimum like in the past.

I'd listen to offers on Guds but that's about it.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
Stevey Y has said a couple times he has no intention of Trading Drouin, but they do have plenty of other young forwards that might fit, dont know who their untouchables are though.... I like Kucherov :/

If Tampa was actually in pursuit of Tanev which i dont think they would be. I obviously would hope for Drouin to come back, soubt he ever would.

If Drouin is off the table I dont think I would consider moving Tanev for Palat or Johnson but instead look at picks and prospects. There 1st is obviously looking good right now and they have a decent crop of prospects in Stephens, Raddysh, Cirelli, Joseph, Howden and Hajek

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Are people actually against Sbisa being moved? He was about to be crucified by the whole fan base a year ago. How times change. :amazed:

Not really.

He's playing marginally better than absolute crap, but a handful of fans are mistaking that for actually playing like an effective NHL D man—mostly those who have grasped at straws to defend Benning.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Are people actually against Sbisa being moved? He was about to be crucified by the whole fan base a year ago. How times change. :amazed:

Meh, he's been okay but I still wouldn't lose sleep over moving him. He's pretty replaceable.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Lol so the guy who was 1 season removed from being a healthy scratch multiple times for the top 10 draft pick position New Jersey Devils to being better than the guy who has been a top pairing defender for the previous 3 seasons?
Potential over production right. This is HF

Yes, that's called development. The player he is today is not the one he was two years ago.

If you want to use recent samples, how about Larsson scoring over half of Tanev's offensive production this season in one game tonight? Same with his hits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad