TSN: Jim Benning open to moving a defenseman for forward help

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Tanev is the big dog that everyone wants, wonder what the asking price is tho.

Figuring out what's fair value for him is hard because I haven't seen a player like him get traded in a long time (pure/elite defensive D who can move the puck but doesn't have much offense, hes on a great contract and is still young).

Personally i love him ;), he's most likely the type of player that GM's value very highly. Elite defensive D who can keep up in the modern day NHL.

That being said, title say's "moving a defenseman for forward help". It might be more of a retool move so they can make a playoff push (Hutton for someone).

Last edited:

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Tanev
Edler
Gudbranson
Sbisa

Hutton
Stetcher
Tryamkin
Juolevi

The bottom four there are all young and look like sure thing top 4 or better at the NHL level.

• Haha
Reactions: Burt Macklin

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I don't see him moving Tanev, but IMO hes the best player to get help. I cant see him moving Hutton or Stecher either. POSSIBLY Hutton if they think Juolevi can step in and contribute huge next season... don't see Gudbranson... but after them, hes not gonna get anything really valuable unless he decides to move Juolevi

Or heck maybe he does look to move Tanev? who knows

Tanev would get them an unreal return... Tanev to Leafs?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
My guess is that the two main pieces that will be available (in Benning's mind) are Tanev and Hutton. He probably thinks Stecher and Gudbranson can handle top 4 duties on RD and that Edler and Tryamkin can handle top 4 duties on LD.

Cue the terrible offers.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
My guess is that the two main pieces that will be available (in Benning's mind) are Tanev and Hutton. He probably thinks Stecher and Gudbranson can handle top 4 duties on RD and that Edler and Tryamkin can handle top 4 duties on LD.

Cue the terrible offers.
I would have assumed that Tanev was of limits, trading your top defenseman kinda defeats the purpose of getting forward help

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
I think Benning will listen intently. D is always a position every contender should look to add if they can, and seeing how Sbisa has consistently played his way into 2nd pair legitimacy, if they don't move one, theyll lose one in the expansion draft.

The other nice problem is that Tryamkin looks like a legit top 4, and possibly top pairing D. Stecher looks like he could develop into a Jared Spurgeon type D. Hutton seems like hes a steady option as a mobile 2nd pairing guy. Juolevi on route. Subban has some elite offensive talent (still a big ? at the NHL level). Brisebois looks like a Tanev copy.

And that leaves Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson, and Sbisa.

Youd have to think theres a very legit possibility that someone is moved. I doubt its Tanev unless someone blows their socks off. Edler has a NTC. They just acquired the currently injured Erik Gudbranson, whos still just 24 and should continue developing into a physical stay at home leader...

Tanev and Sbisa, with a chance of Hutton or Subban. Thats who Id say is on the block.

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
We will take Jordan Subban and in return you may have a slightly used Tyler Bozak.

No I'm not serious.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Benning HATES analytics so I assume he'll probably trade a very strong possession and shot suppression player in Tanev.

Funny part is Tanev is lightyears ahead of any other D-man on the nucks
:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Start the jvr for tanev talks

If Tanev gets moved Vancouver will be rebuilding, makes no sense to trade for someone like JVR, they'll be looking for a highend prospect/pick/very young NHL'er.

That being said title says "forward help" so it might be more of a retool move..? Maybe he just plans on moving a lesser Dman for forward help right now.

Would be brutal if he moved a player like Tanev for a forward just so he could try to get into the playoffs :laugh:

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
If Tanev gets moved Vancouver will be rebuilding, makes no sense to trade for someone like JVR, they'll be looking for a highend prospect/pick/very young NHL'er.

There's a big difference in the fans WANTING to rebuild and get those young good prospects/etc and what the management/ownership actually wants/plans to do.

I honestly don't think Benning is looking for rebuilding pieces, I think they want someone to help them make playoffs.

Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see at the end I guess.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
There's a big difference in the fans WANTING to rebuild and get those young good prospects/etc and what the management/ownership actually wants/plans to do.

I honestly don't think Benning is looking for rebuilding pieces, I think they want someone to help them make playoffs.

Maybe I'm wrong, we'll see at the end I guess.

yea you might be right, i just edited my post

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
well ill start it off... a Tanev/Nylander type swap... others can add the +'s going back and forth and who adds what... im not touching that haha

If Leafs can add Tanev, not only would I think they would make playoffs FORSURE this year, but id be scared to actually play them. Team is clicking HUGE right now and then add a dman like him, it could be a great fit

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I think he might trade ben hutton

Makes the most sense with stecher and Juolevi coming up

LMFAO

May 20, 2010

Figuring out what's fair value for him is hard because I haven't seen a player like him get traded in a long time (pure/elite defensive D who can move the puck but doesn't have much offense, hes on a great contract and is still young).

Lol you perfectly described Adam Larsson

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

Even better with our ~30 winger prospects.
We have to move some of them anyways.

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van
What kind of player would u want from NYR for Tanev

The Canucks are trying to win before the Sedins retire and get younger and build for the post-Sedins future at the same time.

The Vancouver team plays fairly hard but has brutal lack of scoring. The perceived need is for a sniping winger in the 20-25 age bracket but they have a couple of good prospects (Virtanan, Boeser) who might come in and do a job in a year or two, so they will also be looking at scoring centers.

I'm sure you have plenty of extras just lying around needing a spot to play....?

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey

Personally i love him ;), he's most likely the type of player that GM's value very highly. Elite defensive D who can keep up in the modern day NHL.

Adam Larsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad