Confirmed with Link: Jim Benning named GM of Vancouver (MOD WARNING Post #274)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patchey*

Give me a player who was granted OHL exceptional status over one who wasn't.

How many defencemen taken at the top of the draft immediately jump in and be a Top 4 D? Not many. Larsson, Hedman, Bogosian, etc. still haven't hit their full potential or have taken a long time to properly develop. For immediate results, a C is a better choice

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Yeah, liked that the Boston goons seemed genuinely sad to see Benning gone, but also glad that the little dig there about teams not having had success wanted to copy them was just a little dig, not the usual 'HOLY **** DO WE EVER HATE THE CANUCKS AND SO SHOULD EVERY RIGHT-THINKING PERSON ON THE PLANET!!!!11!" histrionics we've seen become more and more commonplace during the Gillis regime.

I honestly have no idea what he did to make the NHL Old Boys Club hate his guts so much, but I was really getting sick of constantly fighting uphill against everything in the league. Right or not, deserved or not, time for it to go.

Did he actually say the first part? My god. Delorme was given "improper direction" for the last 2 decades, through 3 GM changes? :shakehead Give me a break. The scouting staff needs accountability, Delorme and Snepsts should be gone.

It's really baffling to see someone in a job that is results based, fail to deliver for more than a decade and still have their job. Just awful.

No idea how many times I've said that to myself. It really is mind-boggling, isn't it?

Worth noting that in Benning's first draft with the Bruins, they selected:

Phil Kessel - 1st round

Milan Lucic - 2nd round

Brad Marchand - 3rd round.

Since then, Joe Colborne, Jordan Caron, Tyler Seguin, Ryan Spooner, Dougie Hamilton and Alexander Kholkalchev all appear to have a good chance of having NHL careers.

Yeah, I could live with it if Benning's first draft here goes something like that. ;)

All Hail our new Overlord, and may the OverOverlords let him do his job.

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
You know what... Benning's draft record in Buffalo really isn't all that impressive, at least IMO.

Not sure why you'd say such a thing. Most of Buffalo's drafts under Benning churned out 2-3 solid NHL'ers. Just because you don't see a who's who of superstars doesn't mean that those drafts weren't anything but extremely successful.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
worse feeling than when messier/keenan came here? cause nothing should ever feel that bad

well we have a President whose prior experience includes managing a chain of gyms, a scouting staff who could be replaced by a group of monkeys and get similar results, and a meddling, fickle owner

being skeptical about this new era is pretty understandable

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
are you kidding? He killed it in buffalo

I know right. I don't how people are whining about his record in Buffalo. They think he has to draft Kessel, Kopitar, Getzlaf or some BS.

So to the know it all's out there you are saying Kotalik which was good but eventually declined was not a bad pick. (Round 6)

Gaustad (Round 7)

Miller (Round 5)

Roy (Round 2)

Pominville (Round 2)

Vanek (Round 1)

Stafford (Round 1)

Campbell (Round 6)

it goes on.

I don't know what some of you people are talking about but in the draft all around we got some 1st and 2nd line players. I mean Campbell at round 6 this guy was doing good in Flordia and Chicago and pretty much where ever. I am looking forward to seeing who we pick up this draft through out. Who knows Benning might pick up a star player at round 4 in this draft. I am not saying he will but it is possible and we need some improvements on scouts to help support him.

Last edited:

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
That is often a function of early physical development by a young player who peaks early.

That describes Ekblad pretty well.

It's a red flag for a D.

When in doubt....take a C.

:biglaugh:

Developing early is a red flag?

You're right it's better to stay away from a big player whose biggest strength is hockey IQ voted as the best defenseman in league, best shot, hardest shot, best offensive dman, best defensive dman, and 2nd best PKer. At 18 years old he might have peaked already. :shakehead

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
well we have a President whose prior experience includes managing a chain of gyms, a scouting staff who could be replaced by a group of monkeys and get similar results, and a meddling, fickle owner

yeah but his gyms kick fitness world's ass

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Care to explain?

Well I'll let that poster speak for himself, but if Linden's comments on making the playoffs means that he is sticking with the core and adding other veterans in Free Agency to try and make a run, I disagree with that. Obviously I really want the Nucks in the playoffs next year, but it has to be while getting younger at the same time.

Re-tooling, re-building, whatever you want to call it. That is what the franchise needs. Not more bandaids on a wound that needs surgery.

And the comments about getting a cornerstone player and then mentioning Virtanen is a little bit... weird.

Edit: To add to this - All of his comments right now ultimately mean nothing. He is speaking to season ticket holders trying to make sure they stay season ticket holders. The actions of Benning/Linden will speak way louder than anything they say. The draft will be very, very telling of how capable these two are.

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
We have had a new GM for a few hours and people are complaining. I'm excited to see what this new era brings us. May we all hopefully have some great years ahead!

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.

Not really considering they haven't even had an offseason to do anything yet. Benning's been on the job an hour an a half and some people are already assuming this will be a failure. Yzerman had zero prior experience before he became GM of Tampa. And they're moving forward and he's being praised for the job he's doing. Some people need to have a little more optimism around here.

Dead Cat Bounce

Dec 30, 2013
:biglaugh:

Developing early is a red flag?

You're right it's better to stay away from a big player whose biggest strength is hockey IQ voted as the best defenseman in league, best shot, hardest shot, best offensive dman, best defensive dman, and 2nd best PKer. At 18 years old he might have peaked already. :shakehead

You just described a 17 year old who was 6'4" 215 playing against a bunch of teenagers, most of whom will develop later at a more normal pace.

Sure, he has all the skills you mention in comparison to the youngsters in the OHL but playing against men is a different proposition.

Taking a D in the top 10 of the NHL draft is a very bad bet unless you are absolutely certain he will be an impact #1D right out of the box.

History shows us that many of the best defensemen in the league come from all over the draft.

Shea Weber was drafted in the 2nd round.

Zdeno Chara was drafted in the 3rd round

Duncan Keith was drafted in the 2nd round.

While Drew Doughty was drafted 2nd overall, I haven't seen even ONE credible scout comparing Ekblad to Doughty. NOT ONE.

Do you think he is of that calibre?

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
BenningRESIZED.jpg

Couldn't they have picked a better picture? Looks like he's gonna punch someone. :laugh:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Ron Delorme is the Chief Head Scout, Thomas Gradin is the Associate Head Scout.

If you look it up on the Canucks website Delorme is still listed as 'Head Scout', but anyone who's been following along knows that Eric Crawford has been the guy in charge under Gillis. You'll notice that while he's grouped with the scouts rather than call him a scout he's listed as 'Director of Player Development', or something like that

Anyways the Canucks had decent drafting from the US and Europe under Burke and Nonis, good drafting from the OHL under Gillis, but the WHL and QMJHL have been horrendous for a long time. That's where some heads need to role, and of course Delorme's always been the WHL guy. I count 30 picks from those two regions since 2000, and from them you'd maybe get an ECHL team at best.

But despite Linden's comments this really shouldn't be up to him. He's the figure head hired to hire the guy who will be calling the actual shots. It's up to Benning to evaluate our scouts and hopefully make some heads role.

As far as Delorme goes though who knows, maybe he's a lousy scout but a really good facilitator or something.

Patchey*

BenningRESIZED.jpg

Couldn't they have picked a better picture? Looks like he's gonna punch someone. :laugh:

Cover for the new NHL version of Draft Day!

"The Vancouver Canucks have the possibility of moving up to the 1st overall draft pick where BC native Sam Reinhart is ranked along with other amazing prospects such as Sam Bennett and Shae Weber potential DefenceMan in Aaron Ekblad. What will the Canucks do?"

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
Not really considering they haven't even had an offseason to do anything yet. Benning's been on the job an hour an a half and some people are already assuming this will be a failure. Yzerman had zero prior experience before he became GM of Tampa. And they're moving forward and he's being praised for the job he's doing. Some people need to have a little more optimism around here.

Yzerman had experience in the front office with ken holland before becoming GM of TB

if ownership continues their same antics as were reported then I think its more then enough reason to be pessimistic about the upcoming seasons

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
Yzerman had experience in the front office with ken holland before becoming GM of TB

if ownership continues their same antics as were reported then I think its more then enough reason to be pessimistic about the upcoming seasons

Peter Chiarelli and Ken Holland are the two best GM's in the league, don't you think that Benning learned something from him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad