Confirmed with Link: Jim Benning named GM of Vancouver (MOD WARNING Post #274)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=452632

The Vancouver Canucks are expected to name Jim Benning the team's new general manager later this week, TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reported Tuesday.

Naming a head coach is next for the organization, with former Nashville Predators bench boss Barry Trotz high on the team's list of candidates.

Benning, a former Canucks defenceman who spent nine seasons in the league with Vancouver and the Toronto Maple Leafs, has been an assistant with the Bruins since 2006. Following his playing career that ended in 1990, he worked as a scout for the Anaheim Ducks and the Buffalo Sabres before a six-year run as the Sabres Director of Amateur Scouting starting in 1998.

UPDATE: http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=720223&navid=DL|VAN|home
Confirmed as GM of the VANCOUVER CANUCKS

Last edited by a moderator:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I guess this is Dreger confirmed but this is almost a case of foregone conclusion. Right from when Linden was hired all signs pointed to Benning.

Trotz....I'm not sure but when it comes to exprienced coaches he should be at the top of everybody's list right now. One thing we do know about Trotx teams: they work hard. And work rate has been an issue the last few seasons IMO.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I guess this is Dreger confirmed but this is almost a case of foregone conclusion. Right from when Linden was hired all signs pointed to Benning.

Trotz....I'm not sure but when it comes to exprienced coaches he should be at the top of everybody's list right now. One thing we do know about Trotx teams: they work hard. And work rate has been an issue the last few seasons IMO.

The only question, can Trotz play an up to tempo offensive style? With that said, Trotz has been great at developing NHL D-men in his tenure with Nashville. In terms of working hard, it could be said that Torts made his teams work hard to the point of exhaustion. In my opinion we need a coach that can get the best of the players, giving them roles that fits their potential.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas

he also adapts his coaching style to the personnel he has...

“You need balance and if you have dynamic people – I’ve always tried to assess the talent and say ‘Okay, how can we get better as a group and how can we win hockey games?’ I’ve played a number of different systems based on our personnel but I like the personnel to dictate the strength. In Nashville, our strength was in net and defense. So our team would take the personality of the top players and that was most often on the back end.â€

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ls-coaching-vacancy-eager-for-next-challenge/

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver

One thing this team does need is stability.

Trotz will give you that. Guy lives hockey. Good choice.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Happy with Benning, not happy with Trotz.

Same, IMO there's just to many similarities to Torts and Trotz. Even their name Torts and Trotz rhyme. Get a coach that can coach an up to tempo offensive style.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The only question, can Trotz play an up to tempo offensive style? With that said, Trotz has been great at developing NHL D-men in his tenure with Nashville. In terms of working hard, it could be said that Torts made his teams work hard to the point of exhaustion. In my opinion we need a coach that can get the best of the players, giving them roles that fits their potential.

At times the Preds have made there way into the top 10 offenses in the league even when they were doing it by committee.

I think we have to understand that you can only coach up tempo if you have the horses to do it. If the roster is injury riddled and playing guys who have no business getting the minutes they are in the first place that up tempo isn't an option.

But to answer the question, Trotz was the Preds coach for 15 years and in that time they employed many different systems. He coaches to the personnel he is given from what I can see. Problem is with the exception of the blueline the Preds are essentially hopeless at drafting any sort of talent so he usually didn't have much to work with.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
Same, IMO there's just to many similarities to Torts and Trotz. Even their name Torts and Trotz rhyme. Get a coach that can coach an up to tempo offensive style.

What are the similarities? Coaching style? Trotz is a players' coach Torts is not. Trotz is willing to adjust to his players best attributes, torts was not. I don't see any similarities

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
except that i think (hope) Trotz is more of a players' coach ... a kindler, gentler Torts.

Everything I've heard about Trotz is he's a really great guy -- media reports saying he'll talk your ear off about hockey, glowing reports from players, hockey in his bones, etc etc ... all stuff you never hear re Torts. Now whether it translates to winning games is another story ...

I dont mind these rumours at all ... though I dont know much about Benning. Why do we like him again?

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
Obviously like the hire. Seems like he and Chiarelli were excellent talent evaluators at the pro level with the Bruins, and his track record warrants a chance at running his own show. I hope he is able to rectify a spotty drafting record, but that certainly isn't entirely on him.

As for the part about the coach... Trotz has shown in the past that he is capable of employing a system that fits whatever roster he is given, to a relative level of success. He isn't necessarily a winner though, having never gotten past the second round (with some solid rosters, too), and I can't help but wonder if it's the fact that he was never given an adequate forward corps (as most would suggest), or whether there's something else.

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Obviously like the hire. Seems like he and Chiarelli were excellent talent evaluators at the pro level with the Bruins, and his track record warrants a chance at running his own show.

As for the part about the coach... Trotz has shown in the past that he is capable of employing a system that fits whatever roster he is given, to a relative level of success. He isn't necessarily a winner though, having never gotten past the second round (with some solid rosters, too), and I can't help but wonder if it's the fact that he was never given an adequate forward corps (as most would suggest), or whether there's something else.

Meh his rosters have never been that solid. It's always been a score by committee type of team. No game breakers and easy to shut down in the playoffs. Those solid rosters rarely had even a 60 point player if I recall.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver

Coaches can't coach an up tempo style of hockey when they don't have the personnel to do it with. Trotz had terrible forwards to work with, and he's shown a great ability to look at his roster and determine how he can get the most out of them and win games with one of the leagues lowest payrolls.

He's even said that he'd prefer to play more uptempo, but that he's never had the opportunity to before based on the team he was with, and even with that, I believe there was a few years where Nashville was ranked in the top 10 in goals. Not bad for a team with the lack of offensive talent they had.

He's also been exceptional at developing young dmen. I look forward to seeing what he can do with the likes of Corrado, Stanton and Tanev. He may even be able to help turn Edler's career around.

Lastly, players will run through a wall for this guy. They love playing for him and his teams always play with a team first mentality. They work hard for each other and love playing for the guy.

Best choice available I think.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Meh his rosters have never been that solid. It's always been a score by committee type of team. No game breakers and easy to shut down in the playoffs. Those solid rosters rarely had even a 60 point player if I recall.

No, he just couldn't get anything out of the good rosters he had: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0014122007.html That team was the definition of stacked, including Chris Mason (at his peak) and Tomas Vokoun goalie tandem. Forsberg, Radulov, Kariya, JP Dumont, Sullivan, Hartnell, Arnott and Erat on FWD. Timonen, Weber, Suter and Zidlicky on D. That is ridiculous. 05-06 was the same story, just a tiny bit worse and he got nothing done either.

In 10-11 they were spending more on forwards than we were and on top of that had Suter + Weber on D, Rinne in goal.

Last edited:

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver

Desai87

Mar 27, 2008

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
I would have preferred Paul Fenton and Willie Desjardins. There are enough ex-Canucks in this organization.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
No, he just couldn't get anything out of the good rosters he had: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0014122007.html That team was the definition of stacked, including Chris Mason (at his peak) and Tomas Vokoun goalie tandem. Forsberg, Radulov, Kariya, JP Dumont, Sullivan, Hartnell, Arnott and Erat on FWD. Timonen, Weber, Suter and Zidlicky on D. That is riduclous.

In 10-11 they were spending more on forwards than we were and on top of that had Suter + Weber on D, Rinne in goal.

Yep this notion that Trotz never had strong offensive weapons is a myth.

No to Trotz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad