Jim Ballsillie

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I believe he said he wil be at hamiltons first game.

Really? I could have sworn he said any team, but you very well could be right.

EDIT: Nope, it appears it is any team...

"Nobody can deny that we are now a big step closer to having a seventh NHL team in Canada," Balsillie said. "It doesn't matter who owns that team [and], when that day comes, I will be the first in line to buy a ticket to the home opener."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2009/09/30/sp-hockey-coyotes.html

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Balsillie should go to Winnipeg and get a standing O. Without him Bettman would have for sured move the Thrash to KC or Vegas.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Ryan that's the quote I was thinking of.. He's talking about a Hamilton team
He said Canada not Hamilton. Luckily for him he also said home opener. I could not imagine if the Thrashers opened their season in Nashville or Pittsburgh the reaction he'd gotten.

Koss

Ballsillie's actions at the end of his Coyotes foray aside, you have to wonder about the NHL and their stubbornness to work with successful, international business owners, who just happen to see a plan for the NHL in Canada while the league continues to surround itself with thieves, liars, conmen and gullible city councils.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Ballsillie's actions at the end of his Coyotes foray aside, you have to wonder about the NHL and their stubbornness to work with successful, international business owners, who just happen to see a plan for the NHL in Canada while the league continues to surround itself with thieves, liars, conmen and gullible city councils.
I have to agree Koss. Ballsillie record is better that Boots, Hulzier, etc and the like. Even reinsdorf is shady.And Hulizer wants to buy the Blues now. If there is one thing we all know, its that the NHL is a circus and can implode at anytime.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
LOL @ all the "what a great owner\canadian folk hero he would be" talk.

At least wait until you're in the league to do underhanded\shady\behind the back and under the table things. He ruined his own chances by trying, repeatedly, to circumvent the process.

Even with everything that happened with Nashville, I had previously thought, "okay, he's a flamboyant character..maybe if he gets his act together, he coudl be a good owner for someone, what with his money and his interest."

Then the documents leaked citing quotes from Rodier\Balsillie and their plan to use the media\their actions to "destabilize" the Nashville market and make it easier to move.

From that point, F him. He's a *******.

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
I think all it would take for Jim Balsille to get the coyotes or any other team wethier it be relocation\expansion would to make the NHL. , Glendale an offer they can not refuse because with diamond JIm money is no object .

Firestorm

Mar 2, 2011
Canada Eh?
LOL @ all the "what a great owner\canadian folk hero he would be" talk.

At least wait until you're in the league to do underhanded\shady\behind the back and under the table things. He ruined his own chances by trying, repeatedly, to circumvent the process.

Even with everything that happened with Nashville, I had previously thought, "okay, he's a flamboyant character..maybe if he gets his act together, he coudl be a good owner for someone, what with his money and his interest."

Then the documents leaked citing quotes from Rodier\Balsillie and their plan to use the media\their actions to "destabilize" the Nashville market and make it easier to move.

From that point, F him. He's a *******.

All Balsillie had to do was follow the process that all other owners did when they bought their NHL teams. Rules are in place for a reason.

Balsillie isn't the best judge of character either, with some shady business at RIM regarding backdating stock options.

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
Glendale refused the offered they couldn't refuse.

But it has been almost 2 years & bet you that now they regret not taking that offer because who ever buys the coyotes now & moves them Glendale will get a big fat nothing for all there trouble . So if Balsille comes around again with the same offer or better they will be wise to take because after throwing 25 million dollars of taxpayers money down the toliet to keep them from moving for one more season there political future depends on trying to get some kind of payout from who ever buys & moves the team .

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
I am sure they dont regret taking ballsack and kicking him to the curb one bit. He purposefully tried to ram rules down that would have changed the way every team relocation worked. He tried using BK court to force the NHL to change thier rules on both ownership and relocation so he could get a hamilton team at a 200 million dollar discount. After behaving in a dishonest fashion with Pittsburg and nashville before.

The only time the NHL will be happy about ol Ballsak is if he dies or gets tossed into prison.

Maybe if he plays nice for 10-15 years that will change with a new commisioner and a smattering of new owners, but to get approved to own a team you need 22 votes and I can tell you Pitsburg, Nashville,Toronto, and buffalo are all hell no - the 1st two because of what he did, the 2nd two because of proximity so you would basically need 22 out of 26 owners to approve with TML and Buffalo lobbying extremly hard against it.

I have a better chance of being approved of an NHL owner in the next 10 years than he does. After that...... who knows

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
I am sure they dont regret taking ballsack and kicking him to the curb one bit. He purposefully tried to ram rules down that would have changed the way every team relocation worked. He tried using BK court to force the NHL to change thier rules on both ownership and relocation so he could get a hamilton team at a 200 million dollar discount. After behaving in a dishonest fashion with Pittsburg and nashville before.

The only time the NHL will be happy about ol Ballsak is if he dies or gets tossed into prison.

Maybe if he plays nice for 10-15 years that will change with a new commisioner and a smattering of new owners, but to get approved to own a team you need 22 votes and I can tell you Pitsburg, Nashville,Toronto, and buffalo are all hell no - the 1st two because of what he did, the 2nd two because of proximity so you would basically need 22 out of 26 owners to approve with TML and Buffalo lobbying extremly hard against it.

I have a better chance of being approved of an NHL owner in the next 10 years than he does. After that...... who knows

Buffalo has no rights to the Hamilton market because I belive Buffalos teritory if they had any in SO. ends in the niagara area such as St. Kits , Welland , Fort Erie & maybe as far in as Grimsby but not Hamilton plus there is a border there & nobody besides people in the niagara area would tolerate the waits & hassels at the USA. border but if there was no border there I would understand Buffalo's case but there is .

dronald

Mar 4, 2011
Hamilton, ON

There's no doubt that Balsillie had lost the trial from the start, but if the NHL would have stopped the trial and agreed that 212 million for the team, plus 50 million for the city, and a complete revamp of Copps was a good idea then it wouldn't have changed how teams are relocated.

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
There's no doubt that Balsillie had lost the trial from the start, but if the NHL would have stopped the trial and agreed that 212 million for the team, plus 50 million for the city, and a complete revamp of Copps was a good idea then it wouldn't have changed how teams are relocated.

Yet they didnt. Some people think that having a lot of money entitles them to everything, - when in fact there are some things that money cant buy - like a seat at the table at the NHL owners club. The NHL didnt do that most likely because they dont want to do business with JB

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
Buffalo has no rights to the Hamilton market because I belive Buffalos teritory if they had any in SO. ends in the niagara area such as St. Kits , Welland , Fort Erie & maybe as far in as Grimsby but not Hamilton plus there is a border there & nobody besides people in the niagara area would tolerate the waits & hassels at the USA. border but if there was no border there I would understand Buffalo's case but there is .

Buffalo would still be a no vote, period. it would hurt the team, they may not be entitled to a relocation indemnity, but they wouls still not support another team that close

dronald

Mar 4, 2011
Hamilton, ON
Yet they didnt. Some people think that having a lot of money entitles them to everything, - when in fact there are some things that money cant buy - live a seat at the table at the NHL owners club. The NHL didnt do that most likely because they dont want to do business with JB

I agree, I have already stated that pride trumped money in this situation, but it's very rare in business.

Snarky Coyote

Sponsor
May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
Yep, usually it works the other way, however usually there is a lot more respect for the process. Having said that make no mistake TML problably has the biggest influence on that issue with repect to teritorial rights, I am sure that 3 clubs would have declared BK and moved in the GTA immediatly had he been succesful. Toronto can easily support 3 or 4 teams alone, and I hope that one day they get another one but I think that the best way to do that will be through expansion, and tbh most of the fees will end up in the leafs pockets.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
Oh, great, now there's a whole thread about He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named encompassing every cliche including a thread title SPELT WRONG...
:facepalm:

Thread ignore or not to thread ignore, that is the question!

Whether it is nobler to endure the slings and arrows of outrageous posting in order to enjoy the occasional text of wisdom, or to turn my back on the sea of opinions, and by ignoring, end them?

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Oh, great, now there's a whole thread about He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named encompassing every cliche including a thread title SPELT WRONG...
:facepalm:

Thread ignore or not to thread ignore, that is the question!

Whether it is nobler to endure the slings and arrows of outrageous posting in order to enjoy the occasional text of wisdom, or to turn my back on the sea of opinions, and by ignoring, end them?

:biglaugh:

I know, I know, im just as guilty.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Unfortunately, due to the hostile nature of his maneuverings through Pittsburgh, Nashville & Phoenix, Hamilton itself was painted with the same brush as his own unsuitability as an owner in the eyes of certain members of the BOG's & of course NHL administration. Painted with the same brush, wearing the same cloak. One would hope that this isnt the case, however, I lean towards cynicism over such matters. Immediate market size, lack of corporate weight right within Hamilton itself, Copps not being up to scratch, the potential harm a team would deliver to the Sabres, just a whole shopping list of negatives invoked in order to justify its denied entry. Using Bill Gates (as an example) is an exercise in fantasy. The league might let him put a team in a 2500 seater in Nunavut provided he paid for travel & other goodies. Maybe allow Wang to move up there. Its really hard to say. The waters are still cloudy being disturbed so much through the BK in Phoenix.....

I understand playing by the rules, but the rules themselves are a joke.

Bailsille offers to overpay for a team and then in partnership with Hamilton and him pay to upgrade a stadium.

Bettman says he wants teams like Nashville and Phoenix to stay where they are.

Frankly I'll always be on Bailsille's side, because I think these rules are bullcrap, I think a guy who has the hundreds of millions to buy a team should be able to do whatever the damn well he or she pleases.

But that's me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad