Jim Ballsillie

dronald

Mar 4, 2011
Hamilton, ON
It has been awhile since we have heard of him. Why hasn't his name came up?

When he decided not to appeal Judge Baums decision, he stated that he is done with the NHL and is going to focus on his Blackberry Business, and time with family and whatnot.

I dont have the link, maybe someone else does.

Fan of The Game

Apr 3, 2007
USA
Thanks. I just couldn't remember. It's a shame that the NHL shunned him like they did he would have been a good owner for a Canadian team.

Dado

Can't shake the feeling - now that he's taken his pound of Bettman's flesh for previous transgressions (real or imagined) - that he's quietly talking in the background and setting the stage for a Hamilton relo "the right way".

I have absolutely nothing to back this up - it's just a feeling/hunch.

JohniusMaximus

Digging the Sarchasm
Sep 23, 2009
Middle TN
Personally I wouldn't mind if he got his team "the right way." It would be an instant rivalry for us. And I mean a real hate filled, violent, threatening, Wrath of God type rivalry.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
according to mutliple sources he sat down with the NHL and the NHL made it clear they would not do business with him

They are doing business with him in multiple ways.

BB_NHL_Logos.jpg

Jim is working his way back into the NHL's good books slowly and with the stuff the NHL loves more than hurt feelings: $$$.

GHOST

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I still think Hamilton will prove to be a major hurdle to overcome trying to get an NHL team there, the owners of Toronto, Detroit and Buffalo would all have to approve it, considering what happened before I don't think that will happen.

berklon

Dec 24, 2008
I doubt he's paying much attention to the NHL, although I wouldn't be surpised if he attended the the Jets first game.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
He deserves an NHL team more than half of the current owners.

He'd be like Schneider of the Redskins.

I'm not saying he'd be great for a winning team, but his mentality is what Canada needs. In the end the whole Hamilton deal was damaging to Toronto, a franchise that can ask $200 for regular season tickets to a lousy team.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW

I'm not saying he'd be great for a winning team, but his mentality is what Canada needs. In the end the whole Hamilton deal was damaging to Toronto, a franchise that can ask $200 for regular season tickets to a lousy team.

in the end the whole jim ballsillie thing was damaging to Hamilton, a prospective owner that antagonized the people he wanted to partner with.

Booom

Jan 1, 2011
He's busy trying to not get fired because him and Mike Lazadaris are running RIM into the ground.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
in the end the whole jim ballsillie thing was damaging to Hamilton, a prospective owner that antagonized the people he wanted to partner with.

Not stalking ya danishh. Promise. :laugh:

But ya, I certainly do agree. His intentions were honorable, his delivery & execution badly flawed. In the end, he may have poisoned the well & set the city of Hamilton back by another decade.

dronald

Mar 4, 2011
Hamilton, ON

But ya, I certainly do agree. His intentions were honorable, his delivery & execution badly flawed. In the end, he may have poisoned the well & set the city of Hamilton back by another decade.

If only he would have waited a few more years. One day, Bettman will be relocating another franchise and Balsillie would have had a chance to place a bid, but now that's all gone for him... Unless they make up, but I think the NHL will always use it as an excuse to keep a team out of Hamilton.

berklon

Dec 24, 2008

Why would Hamilton be set back another decade from the actions of Balsillie? If Bill Gates (an example) wanted to bring a team to Hamilton, does he get the bum's rush because of Balsillie?

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

Redskins' fans hate, hate, I repeat hate Dan Schneider. He does basically what you say the Leafs do times 100. He gouges the Washington fans at every opportunity and hasn't won a damn thing.

I don't think the NHL needs owners like this.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Why would Hamilton be set back another decade from the actions of Balsillie? If Bill Gates (an example) wanted to bring a team to Hamilton, does he get the bum's rush because of Balsillie?

Unfortunately, due to the hostile nature of his maneuverings through Pittsburgh, Nashville & Phoenix, Hamilton itself was painted with the same brush as his own unsuitability as an owner in the eyes of certain members of the BOG's & of course NHL administration. Painted with the same brush, wearing the same cloak. One would hope that this isnt the case, however, I lean towards cynicism over such matters. Immediate market size, lack of corporate weight right within Hamilton itself, Copps not being up to scratch, the potential harm a team would deliver to the Sabres, just a whole shopping list of negatives invoked in order to justify its denied entry. Using Bill Gates (as an example) is an exercise in fantasy. The league might let him put a team in a 2500 seater in Nunavut provided he paid for travel & other goodies. Maybe allow Wang to move up there. Its really hard to say. The waters are still cloudy being disturbed so much through the BK in Phoenix.....

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Redskins' fans hate, hate, I repeat hate Dan Schneider. He does basically what you say the Leafs do times 100. He gouges the Washington fans at every opportunity and hasn't won a damn thing.

I don't think the NHL needs owners like this.

Well I expect youse guys are more knowledgeable about the Redskins than I am so I guess you misspell Snyder's name on purpose but why I don't know...

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
He's busy trying to not get fired because him and Mike Lazadaris are running RIM into the ground.

QFT.

They are no longer ahead oh the curve on innovation and Apple is going to take over a large part of their market. Sucks too since it's always good to see Canadian companies compete well in foreign markets.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Thanks. I just couldn't remember. It's a shame that the NHL shunned him like they did he would have been a good owner for a Canadian team.

He was trying rather underhand and backdoor tactics to move a team,they didn't like that very much.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I doubt he's paying much attention to the NHL, although I wouldn't be surpised if he attended the the Jets first game.

IIRC he said that he would be attending when Canada got its 7th team. Let's see if he holds true to his word.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad