Jill-bear, Jill-bear :)

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
Brule with 70 points in the NHL this year is absolutly laughable, even if you ignore the fact that their leading scorer had 65 in 80 games.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Richard_Zednik said:
well top shelf... the answer to your question is i PERSONALLY would take Luc Bourdon... since hes french and montreal needs defence, but i would take Brule also at this point, when i heard Timmins say from the WHL I WAS LIKE YES.... the Tri-City americans i was like huh... the Canadiens select goaltender Carey Price. I was freaking out i mean Brule is french too and is gonna be a superstar! I know Gilbert's father also was pissed but whatever. I guess they just felt they needed to solidify that position for the future now by seeing what Price can do and the fact there arent many Franchise goalies coming up in the next few drafts.

IMO Price is a backbone to what the Habs plan on doing, which is building from goaltender out.

But whatever success Brule and Bourdon have it will hurt me inside....lol

I totally get where you're coming from. When the Sharks traded up to the 8 spot, I was absolutely screaming at my TV for them to pick Anze Kopitar. Then when they took Devin Setoguchi, I was rather shocked, and a little annoyed. But just like you see the rationale behind the Price pick in retrospect, I get how picking Setoguchi makes sense for San Jose.

As for Brule, I'm not foolish enough to believe tha he could tear up the NHL like he did the WHL this year, but I can easily see him adapting to a different game. Dispite his temper, Gilbert strikes me as an intelligent player, and someone like him has all the tools to succeed even if he does have to sacrifice an aspect of his game for the NHL.

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières
mtl have succes with goaltender so i'm not worry ...

and for the guy who said that kostitsyn suck , you probably don't watch him this years , you just watch his stat :shakehead

and i pick luc bourdon, if the draft is redone !

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
gars59 said:
mtl have succes with goaltender so i'm not worry ...

and for the guy who said that kostitsyn suck , you probably don't watch him this years , you just watch his stat :shakehead

and i pick luc bourdon, if the draft is redone !

Im a die-hard Canucks fan, and probably the biggest Bourdon fan on these boards - but only if im on acid do I take Bourdon over Brule!

Last edited:

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Im a die-hard Canucks fan, and probably the biggest Bourdon fan on these boards - but only if im on acid to I take Bourdon over Brule!

Amen. i would do that swap any day of the week and twice on sundays. Brule truly is amazing

puckgoalnet

Feb 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
Visit site
twi said:
Brule with 70 points in the NHL this year is absolutly laughable, even if you ignore the fact that their leading scorer had 65 in 80 games.

Your right, I'd like to see much more realistic expectations for the young man next year. I'd be happy seeing him put up 40-50 this coming year.

Before he was injured, Brule was on pace to put up ~47 pts in Columbus. I grant you it was a short stint, but he definitely looked like he belonged and at times looked like the best CBJ player on the ice. On the plus side, when he was putting up those points was no Nash (injured), barely any Federov (trade just coming in) and Zherdev was being benched for his horrible play.

Indications point to him getting a chance to play between a healthy Nash & Vyborny next year, which his game compliments well, so he'll have a good chance to put 40-50pts up.

The knock on Gilbert, until he proves otherwise, will always be "Can he stay away from injury".

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
Top Shelf said:
My question to Montreal fans is this:

If you could redraft, who would you take? Price or Brule?

For the record, I understand Montreal fan's argument. You can't judge these prospects now but still with what we know up to this point I'd be interested to read a few Montreal fan's answers to the question above.

Personally I've been very surprised w/ Brule this year since he was sent back to the WHL. His year could have completely blown up after those fluke injuries. I have been more impressed with his maturization of how he's responded to those setbacks more than anything else.

I think most non-scouts probably had Brule rated third (if not second) going into last year's draft and with the way Brule has played this year in the dub, especially so far in the playoffs, you can say that he should have gone two or three in the draft, but would actual scouts (primarily Anaheim's, Carolina's, Minnesota's, and Montreal's) say the same thing? I think that's a more important question than just what the average fan thinks because they were the ones who pased over Brule to begin with.

Everyone knew Brule could score and could be a force at the Junior level at last year's draft, and Brule has basically just naturally improved over the past year (there'd be problems if he didn't) and is now a much more dominant junior player, but I'm thinking most scouts probably would have expected his increase in performance; he showed he could score and be physical last year and the year before, so most people would probably naturally assume he would only get better. I don't think he's shown anything that scouts didn't already know about or expect. In his short stint in the NHL, he showed he could play there, but he was injured, which brings up the questions most probably wondered at the draft: can he can play his game in the NHL and will he be as effective if he changes his game? If anything, I think there are more doubts about his durability and his ability to play his game in the NHL than there were at the draft.

So I don't really think actual scouts' opinions of Brule have changed a whole lot, so I don't think his junior performance alone would make scouting staffs question their choice of player. Maybe if Minnesota or Montreal management didn't think Pouliot or Price performed up to expectations and now thinks that there's less of a chance of them reaching their potential than they had thought at the draft, they might then pick Brule if they had a mulligan, but I think it would be more because of how their draft pick dropped in their estimation than anything that Brule has done: it'd be because Brule has performed as expected and their draft pick didn't.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I won't comment on picking Montreal picking Carey Price...comparing an impact forward to a goaltender less than a year after the draft is as pointless an exercise as it gets. I will say that if Montreal had been set on Price, they probably should have traded down a few spots. You have to think Chicago or Ottawa would jump at the chance to pick Brule at the #5 spot. You could even make it a condition of the deal that they don't take Price.

But, Bobby Ryan and Benoit Pouliot ahead of Brule completely baffles me. Pouliot especially - Jesus Christ he sucks.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
RDriesen16 said:
on fire. 3g, 3a, 6pts, 4pim, +2 tonight

5g, 4a, 9pts in the first 2 games of the series

and

16g, 11a, 27pts in 16gp in the playoffs.

cant wait to watch him centering Nash next year
You know Doug made that draft pick, right? ;)

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Richard_Zednik said:
well top shelf... the answer to your question is i PERSONALLY would take Luc Bourdon... since hes french and montreal needs defence...

That is ABSOLUTELY the worst reason to pick a player. Bar none

CH Wizard

Brule is so skilled...i dont know if I'd take Malkin over him..

I'm not on acid, I swear. :biglaugh:

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The Great One said:
I'm not on acid, I swear. :biglaugh:

You sure? First off, there's that comment. Then there is the fact that you are a Habs fan converted to a Leafs fan. That just does not and should not happen. :amazed:

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
Genghis Keon said:
I think most non-scouts probably had Brule rated third (if not second) going into last year's draft and with the way Brule has played this year in the dub, especially so far in the playoffs, you can say that he should have gone two or three in the draft, but would actual scouts (primarily Anaheim's, Carolina's, Minnesota's, and Montreal's) say the same thing? I think that's a more important question than just what the average fan thinks because they were the ones who pased over Brule to begin with.

Everyone knew Brule could score and could be a force at the Junior level at last year's draft, and Brule has basically just naturally improved over the past year (there'd be problems if he didn't) and is now a much more dominant junior player, but I'm thinking most scouts probably would have expected his increase in performance; he showed he could score and be physical last year and the year before, so most people would probably naturally assume he would only get better. I don't think he's shown anything that scouts didn't already know about or expect. In his short stint in the NHL, he showed he could play there, but he was injured, which brings up the questions most probably wondered at the draft: can he can play his game in the NHL and will he be as effective if he changes his game? If anything, I think there are more doubts about his durability and his ability to play his game in the NHL than there were at the draft.

So I don't really think actual scouts' opinions of Brule have changed a whole lot, so I don't think his junior performance alone would make scouting staffs question their choice of player. Maybe if Minnesota or Montreal management didn't think Pouliot or Price performed up to expectations and now thinks that there's less of a chance of them reaching their potential than they had thought at the draft, they might then pick Brule if they had a mulligan, but I think it would be more because of how their draft pick dropped in their estimation than anything that Brule has done: it'd be because Brule has performed as expected and their draft pick didn't.

i agree with this, because im sure they knew they were passing up gold on offense, my first guess would have to be that they thought he was fragile.

futurcorerock said:
That is ABSOLUTELY the worst reason to pick a player. Bar none

Not in Montreal, and plus they have passed on certain players who have ended up very good and are french, such as Gagne, Bergeron, and Bernier..

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Richard_Zednik said:
i agree with this, because im sure they knew they were passing up gold on offense, my first guess would have to be that they thought he was fragile.

Not in Montreal, and plus they have passed on certain players who have ended up very good and are french, such as Gagne, Bergeron, and Bernier..

They don't pass on french players, they pass on GOOD french players.... ;)

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Richard_Zednik said:

Are you nuts? The Canadiens only have one Frenchman on their roster.

As for Quebecois on their roster, there's plenty ;)

Artie

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal, Que
Visit site
Top Shelf said:
My question to Montreal fans is this:

If you could redraft, who would you take? Price or Brule?

For the record, I understand Montreal fan's argument. You can't judge these prospects now but still with what we know up to this point I'd be interested to read a few Montreal fan's answers to the question above.

Personally I've been very surprised w/ Brule this year since he was sent back to the WHL. His year could have completely blown up after those fluke injuries. I have been more impressed with his maturization of how he's responded to those setbacks more than anything else.

Personally based on Montreal needs at the time I would have drafted neither. And that is not to take anything away from either player. I hope they both go on to have great careers in the NHL.

I gues it came down to drafting philosophies: BPA, immediate teams needs or future building cornerstone. I remember reading that Savard was pushing for Brule and it seems they (whoever they are) went with Price.

What you have to realize is that the Montreal system is loaded with forwards similar to Brule in stature. Not necessarily the way Brule plays, but I guess they (again whoever they were - and it seems it wasn't Savard) were concerned about his ability to play the same game at the NHL level.

Same thing happened in Kostitsyn's year. Some teams got scared off and Montreal picked him. Meanwhile I was hoping for Gettzlaf that year... but I digress.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad