Value of: JG Pageau @ the NHL Draft

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
How many teams have a need for a top-4 lhd and can afford to take on Leddy without trading salary in return?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
It's already happening after 7gp.

Reminds me a lot of the reactions to Komarov.

let’s be clear - it wasn’t Isle fan, who started this f***ing thread - Mods lock it up.

cant wait for the next thread about your team trying to find that elusive 3C

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
let’s be clear - it wasn’t Isle fan, who started this f***ing thread - Mods lock it up.

Thread was started by a JG Pageau fan, who wanted to discuss JG Pageau, because he is interested in Pageau and unique cap situations.

Reactions: bernmeister

SI

Feb 16, 2013
In what world do Bailey and Lee play over Hyman? He's more productive offensively (with no PP time mind you) coming off an ACL tear and is way ahead in terms of his overall game. Barzal would slot in to the other LW spot in the top 6. Nelson is arguable but if he's strictly a center he obviously isn't getting in.

Kadri was not a financial move lol, Kerfoot at 3.5 + Barrie at 2.75 is not cheaper than Kadri at 4.5 + a replacement D.

Yeah I'm sure teams are lining up for the privilege of paying Boychuk 6 mil for the next 2 years.

This absolutely the dumbest argument.
It doesn't matter - you like your guy, we like ours.

Keep convincing yourself that the Kadri move was not about $ either - Dubas was able to address the RHD in the move and it basically was allocating cap space to address a need on the blueline - THAT YOU STILL HAVE! And you now have to address your 3C too.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

I don't know, I find it pretty funny. You have an Ottawa fan thinking the Isles will dump Pageau after just getting him and extending him. Since it's such a horrible contract, a blue chipper like Dobson will have to be included.

Then you have Toronto fans taking shots at Lou and explaining how Hyman is so amazing and all Isles players are shit. To top it off, you have a Habs fan who clearly lusts after Leddy suggesting the Isles will have to attach a sweetener to get rid of him.

It can be annoying, but it's a smorgasbord of hilarity for me...

Reactions: SI

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Thread was started by a JG Pageau fan, who wanted to discuss JG Pageau, because he is interested in Pageau and unique cap situations.

As an Isles fan, I was and still am delighted with the trade.

The team had two needs going into the season a 3C and a true top-line sniper.
They thought they could address it with Brassard, who isn't the best fit at C in this system and when Cizikas went down so did the isles consistency and the ability to run all 4 lines.

Pageau acquisition allows the team to run their system and run all 4 lines.

The Isles have some cap issues now with the cap remaining flat, but nothing that is too difficult to get out of - Pageau will not be the cap casualty.

Last edited:

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I don't know, I find it pretty funny. You have an Ottawa fan thinking the Isles will dump Pageau after just getting him and extending him. Since it's such a horrible contract, a blue chipper like Dobson will have to be included.

Then you have Toronto fans taking shots at Lou and explaining how Hyman is so amazing and all Isles players are shit. To top it off, you have a Habs fan who clearly lusts after Leddy suggesting the Isles will have to attach a sweetener to get rid of him.

Well said my friend - well said.

Reactions: Tahoeblue

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Nobody is gonna want that.

They're 3 years from getting out of Ladds terrible deal, and they sign themselves another one.

Although none of Lee's, Nelsons, Eberles, Baileys or Boychuks are looking too hot either.

This is confusing. Earlier this week, you posted that Nylander had an "amazing" contract and he had 59 points in 68 games this year playing with a high end first center and making nearly $7 million a season.

But Brock Nelson, who had 54 points in 68 games this year making $6 million a season has a contract that "isn't looking too hot?"

Care to explain how that works?

Reactions: PWJunior and SI

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
This is confusing. Earlier this week, you posted that Nylander had an "amazing" contract and he had 59 points in 68 games this year playing with a high end first center and making nearly $7 million a season.

But Brock Nelson, who had 54 points in 68 games this year making $6 million a season has a contract that "isn't looking too hot?"

Care to explain how that works?
Age. Nylanders is 24 and his deal expires when he is 28. Nelson is 28 now. And has 5 years left after this.

I will admit Nelsons is the better of the bunch. Shouldnt age as bad as Eberle or Lee

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Age. Nylanders is 24 and his deal expires when he is 28. Nelson is 28 now. And has 5 years left after this.

I will admit Nelsons is the better of the bunch. Shouldnt age as bad as Eberle or Lee

Are you serious?

So Nylander's is amazing but Nelson's for the same production and about a million less a year is "not looking to hot" cause he'll be 33 when it expires?

Are you for real?

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Are you serious?

So Nylander's is amazing but Nelson's for the same production and about a million less a year is "not looking to hot" cause he'll be 33 when it expires?

Are you for real?
Similar production right now. Do you think Nelson will be producing the same 3-5 years from now?This is the 1st of 6 years.

Also, I already said its the better of the group of contracts I listed. Not sure why you're picking on Nelson.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Similar production right now. Do you think Nelson will be producing the same 3-5 years from now?This is the 1st of 6 years.

Also, I already said its the better of the group of contracts I listed. Not sure why you're picking on Nelson.

Nelson's game isn't predicated on speed or hard-checking, so yes i think it's safe to say he can be a 50-60 point player during the duration of his contract. He's also become a much better hockey player the last couple of years. He's improving at the age of 28, so if you think of a bell curve he's still ascending. I don't think the fall will be precipitous.

Ebs, who was injured and had a miserable start to the season played at a ppg pace the last 25 games. At 5 mill, it's not like he's getting paid first line money

If these were players whose game relied on gamebreaking speed or punishing physicality I'd tend to agree the contracts wouldn't age well. Neither are, nor are they being paid superstar money which will prevent the team from surrounding them with talent (though getting talent to voluntarily choose the Island as a destination point has been a problem).

As far as Lee, I'll compare the athleticism to former Islander Tavares. Both rely on power games around the slot (when they're at their most effective) and neither are speedy at all. Consider their workout regimens are both top-notch, if you think Tavares is going to be an 80 point player the duration of his contract there's no reason to think Lee won't be a 50 point player the duration of his contract.

As far as Pageau, if he winds up being a speedy 15g, 25a player the duration of his contract who can win faceoffs in the defensive zone and pk with the league's best, he's well-worth the 5M. As mentioned before, the Islanders have two major holes, a bonafide scoring winger and an excellent third-line center. Pageau fits the latter perfectly.

I digress...VIVA HYMAN VIVA HYMAN VIVA HYMAN!

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

I'm "picking on" Nelson cause you said his contract wasn't "looking too hot" two days after you claimed Nylander's (more expensive) contract was "amazing" while the players produced essentially the exact same results and Nylander had the benefit of a superior center. Seems a bit puzzling.

Now you are saying the issue is Nelson's age. So I guess the Tavares contract, that you are proudly displaying in your avatar "isn't looking too hot" either, right?

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

I’m glad you found time to post about someone other than Tavares in the NYI our of town thread.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Nelson's game isn't predicated on speed or hard-checking, so yes i think it's safe to say he can be a 50-60 point player during the duration of his contract. He's also become a much better hockey player the last couple of years. He's improving at the age of 28, so if you think of a bell curve he's still ascending. I don't think the fall will be precipitous.

Ebs, who was injured and had a miserable start to the season played at a ppg pace the last 25 games. At 5 mill, it's not like he's getting paid first line money

If these were players whose game relied on gamebreaking speed or punishing physicality I'd tend to agree the contracts wouldn't age well. Neither are, nor are they being paid superstar money which will prevent the team from surrounding them with talent (though getting talent to voluntarily choose the Island as a destination point has been a problem).

As far as Lee, I'll compare the athleticism to former Islander Tavares. Both rely on power games around the slot (when they're at their most effective) and neither are speedy at all. Consider their workout regimens are both top-notch, if you think Tavares is going to be an 80 point player the duration of his contract there's no reason to think Lee won't be a 50 point player the duration of his contract.

As far as Pageau, if he winds up being a speedy 15g, 25a player the duration of his contract who can win faceoffs in the defensive zone and pk with the league's best, he's well-worth the 5M. As mentioned before, the Islanders have two major holes, a bonafide scoring winger and an excellent third-line center. Pageau fits the latter perfectly.

I digress...VIVA HYMAN VIVA HYMAN VIVA HYMAN!
Good points. Obviously none of thes deals are terrible right now. Just concerned on how they will age. And the large sum committed to 2nd/3rd line players. Add that with Ladds 5.5, Boychuks 6, isnt that the whole point of the thread?

Also, viva what now o_O

I'm "picking on" Nelson cause you said his contract wasn't "looking too hot" two days after you claimed Nylander's (more expensive) contract was "amazing" while the players produced essentially the exact same results and Nylander had the benefit of a superior center. Seems a bit puzzling.

Now you are saying the issue is Nelson's age. So I guess the Tavares contract, that you are proudly displaying in your avatar "isn't looking too hot" either, right?

All players age. Tavares isnt exempt. Not likely he will be producing the same at 33 as he is 29. But there is a difference between an elite player like Tavares and a guy like Brock Nelson or Jordan Eberle.

I dont see a "Nelson day" being celebrated in NY :sarcasm:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I’m glad you found time to post about someone other than Tavares in the NYI our of town thread.

Well I'm surprised you still venture over to HF Isles and act as if you're still remotely even a fraction of an Isles fan after being exposed as a fraud from the outset Haha, we all know dude.

Thanks for the extra laugh though. I guess you're the sprinkles then.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
All players age. Tavares isnt exempt. Not likely he will be producing the same at 33 as he is 29. But there is a difference between an elite player like Tavares and a guy like Brock Nelson or Jordan Eberle.

There's also a dramatic difference in the cap hits, too.

But you didn't answer the question... Is Tavares' contract also "not looking too hot?"

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
There's also a dramatic difference in the cap hits, too.

But you didn't answer the question... Is Tavares' contract also "not looking too hot?"
Individually, it looks fine. But at the same time, so does Nelsons. I already said, Nelsons deal is acceptable on its own, its the large amount of meh deals given to meh players.

Tavares' deal has nothing to do with the Isles cap situation. Heck, if they still had him on that exact deal, they'd still be boasting with us leafs fans for thinking we were gonna get him. Thank goodness we did.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Individually, it looks fine. But at the same time, so does Nelsons. I already said, Nelsons deal is acceptable on its own, its the large amount of meh deals given to meh players.

Tavares' deal has nothing to do with the Isles cap situation. Heck, if they still had him on that exact deal, they'd still be boasting with us leafs fans for thinking we were gonna get him. Thank goodness we did.

Yeah, thank goodness. It's been nothing but blue skies and great news for the Leafs since Dubas cleverly signed that contract.

Reactions: SI and PWJunior

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Isles didn't sign him 3 months ago to jettison the deal. It's a silly thread.

The Leddy one really made me laugh in particular. I didn't respond to it, but I did chuckle.

I wonder if the Isles can get Brayden Point, of course the Bolts will have to throw in a sweetener since we're taking the cap!

Reactions: PWJunior

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Yeah, thank goodness. It's been nothing but blue skies and great news for the Leafs since Dubas cleverly signed that contract.
Clearly :wg:

I think it was a win-win actually. Isles were able to allocate that money to Anders Lee and Leo Komarov. Dubs all around

Last edited:

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Well I'm surprised you still venture over to HF Isles and act as if you're still remotely even a fraction of an Isles fan after being exposed as a fraud from the outset Haha, we all know dude.

Thanks for the extra laugh though. I guess you're the sprinkles then.

I've met some great fans on there and am happy to keep chatting with them about hockey, even if the Isles are my 2nd favourite these days. :) Not all of them are Tavares-obsessed.

skyhigh

Jun 27, 2017
Nobody is gonna want that.

They're 3 years from getting out of Ladds terrible deal, and they sign themselves another one.

Although none of Lee's, Nelsons, Eberles, Baileys or Boychuks are looking too hot either.

Boychuck looks to be most movable as it expires in 2 years. Gonna have to cough up something pretty to convince a team to take that.

Maybe Leddy is movable?

Nelsons contract is more than fair, he was on pace for 30 goals this year and scored 25 last year

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I've met some great fans on there and am happy to keep chatting with them about hockey, even if the Isles are my 2nd favourite these days. :) Not all of them are Tavares-obsessed.

I've met a lot of people too, many that support other teams. At least they were honest about their fan allegiance from the beginning. None of them tried to ingratiate themselves as being "one of us" on the team board and then change their username after being exposed as really supporting another team. That type of dishonesty rubs me the wrong way. The fact that other fans of other teams saw through the bullshit as well... not a good look Mr. Treebeard.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I've met a lot of people too, many that support other teams. At least they were honest about their fan allegiance from the beginning. None of them tried to ingratiate themselves as being "one of us" on the team board and then change their username after being exposed as really supporting another team. That type of dishonesty rubs me the wrong way. The fact that other fans of other teams saw through the bullshit as well... not a good look Mr. Treebeard.

What would you call being a fan? If I watch Islander games, cheer for them when they win, and spend money on their merchandise, is that not enough? You drank the bitter cool-aid of another poster (who by the way, funny enough, was caught posting on his backup account but accidentally referring to a post from his active account as "my post", pretty hilarious don't you think?) on that board, that's on you for being manipulated. I'll just keep posting and chatting with the other Isles fans, you can keep wasting time on your Leaf fantasies and this weird witch hunt you are on.

You know what the best part is? I will get to cheer and party if Tavares wins a cup OR if the Islanders win the cup - win/win for me :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad