Prospect Info: Jett Woo, Pt. II

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'll disagree there.

I don't think there would be much interest in a smallish LHD coming off a terrible season in Rathbone.

Woo, on the other hand, is a big physical RHD who had a great finish to the season. I think he'd probably get claimed by someone thinking he can add depth on the right side, much like Kovacevic last year. In particular I'd think Winnipeg would have interest given that he's a hometown kid and had a crazy run of production against the Moose last year with their organization watching.

Anything is possible i suppose. Especially if teams are breaking camp with injuries. But Kovacevic was older, much bigger, with more upside and generally more established at lower levels, with at least a few genuine NHL games as a frame of reference. Woo also has that RH shot going for him, but i just really don't see much of risk in waiving him.

Even if he's claimed, it'd be a shame to lose some potential cheap homegrown depth. But every year, you can rummage around the waiver wire and find guys who more or less fill the sort of role that we're hoping Woo can eventually step into.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Anything is possible i suppose. Especially if teams are breaking camp with injuries. But Kovacevic was older, much bigger, with more upside and generally more established at lower levels, with at least a few genuine NHL games as a frame of reference. Woo also has that RH shot going for him, but i just really don't see much of risk in waiving him.

Even if he's claimed, it'd be a shame to lose some potential cheap homegrown depth. But every year, you can rummage around the waiver wire and find guys who more or less fill the sort of role that we're hoping Woo can eventually step into.
It’d be nice to see some homegrown guys actually become NHL regulars for once though. Ain’t Demko the last guy we developed into an NHL guy.

Would be nice for damn once. Honestly just for that reason alone I hope he’s able to find a spot.

Reactions: MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I dunno. Maybe he clears but I certainly wouldn't be comfortable waiving him (I couldn't care less either way about Rathbone, by contrast).

I'm not someone who's prone to going overboard on prospect hype but the way that Woo finished last season was *really* intriguing. He was basically playing 1D minutes down there for the last 20 games or so and was killing it - putting up points, playing mean as hell, generally looking legitimately promising. Like I said earlier in this thread, he looked like a guy who was really close to stepping into the Burroughs role as a depth RHD. Total 180 from where he was at in 2022.

The team still does not have a lot of depth at RD and if we carry 8D out of camp (which is a good possibility) then I'd definitely prefer to carry Woo as the 4RD to exposing him to waivers and keeping the older Juulsen who would certainly clear.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It’d be nice to see some homegrown guys actually become NHL regulars for once though. Ain’t Demko the last guy we developed into an NHL guy.

Would be nice for damn once. Honestly just for that reason alone I hope he’s able to find a spot.

Yeah. It'd be nice. We did get "Gilliam" finally starting to look like he might be on the cusp last year. So that's...something. But our development system has really failed to churn out much of anything.

It feels like we've maybe finally got the farm team location right, and the proper coaching in place to possibly start to benefit from having an AHL affiliate for development, rather than having it as a pointless afterthought.

Though i still worry that it won't be long before that coaching is poached and we go back to wandering around in a developmental desert.

I don't think the desire for a homegrown depth player should really outweigh whether the guy is ready or not though. It'll take an absolutely gargantuan camp for me to even think about Woo sticking on the roster. I'd be thrilled if it comes to that. But i'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I dunno. Maybe he clears but I certainly wouldn't be comfortable waiving him (I couldn't care less either way about Rathbone, by contrast).

I'm not someone who's prone to going overboard on prospect hype but the way that Woo finished last season was *really* intriguing. He was basically playing 1D minutes down there for the last 20 games or so and was killing it - putting up points, playing mean as hell, generally looking legitimately promising. Like I said earlier in this thread, he looked like a guy who was really close to stepping into the Burroughs role as a depth RHD. Total 180 from where he was at in 2022.

The team still does not have a lot of depth at RD and if we carry 8D out of camp (which is a good possibility) then I'd definitely prefer to carry Woo as the 4RD to exposing him to waivers and keeping the older Juulsen who would certainly clear.

I really wouldn't be broken up about losing Rathbone on waivers either. I just think there's a stronger strong chance someone like Arizona scoops him up like they did with Valimaki last year. They actually could use a LHD anyway, but there are other similar teams out there as well. He just profiles for me more like the sort of prospect that some bottom-feeder will take a flyer on as a "project" with upside. Even if he's extremely unlikely to realize that potential.

This also trudges into the whole question of what's best for "developing" Woo long-term as well though. Is carrying him as an 8th D eating popcorn every night really doing anyone any good developmentally? A whole big part of the problem with Woo's timeline and why he's at this awkward waivers eligible threshold before having fully established himself for more than a short stretch of games at the AHL level...is all that development time he already missed. A guy like that...you want him playing and trying to carry forward that positive momentum. Not sitting around twiddling his thumbs...subbing in once a month for 10 minutes.

The landscape could certainly still shift a bunch too. If they were to manage to swap Rathbone for a more appropriate 7D sort of guy. Or if Myers does actually end up moved after his bonus is paid. Wouldn't really worry about waiving Juulsen either as he's cleared multiple times at this point. I'd actually worry a little bit more about Brisebois. But by and large, we've got a whole bunch of bottom-of-roster clutter that isn't likely to raise many eyebrows on the waiver wire. I might even be looking at waivers as a place to potentially upgrade at the fringes tbh. We've also got a boatload of forwards in the mix, to where 14F-7D probably makes more sense to me. But it's also messy at the fringes.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'll disagree there.

I don't think there would be much interest in a smallish LHD coming off a terrible season in Rathbone.

Woo, on the other hand, is a big physical RHD who had a great finish to the season. I think he'd probably get claimed by someone thinking he can add depth on the right side, much like Kovacevic last year. In particular I'd think Winnipeg would have interest given that he's a hometown kid and had a crazy run of production against the Moose last year with their organization watching.

Yeah. I have basically zero concerns about throwing Woo on waivers and expecting him to clear. He hasn't established anything at the NHL level. Most teams will have plenty of their own guys they're simultaneously also trying to slip through waivers. There will be much better defenceman available.

I don't have a strong feeling one way or another. Like I said, I do think Rathbone was more highly regarded prior to the start of last year. Rathbone is coming off an injury-plagued poor season but numbers wise he did finish with 2 goals 3 points in 6 playoff games vs 0 for Woo. I don't think Woo was ever that highly regarded and he hasn't done anything to change perceptions. Perceptions tend to carry on. Just look at our trade for Kravtsov. No one in their right mind would make the trade if we simply evaluated him based on his performance last season.

Anyhow, I have an opinion and gut feeling but I really have no clue. We've had some "bad luck" in terms of waivers in the past years. There is a chance that one of them can play their way to an NHL roster spot on some team like Gadjovich did.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't have a strong feeling one way or another. Like I said, I do think Rathbone was more highly regarded prior to the start of last year. Rathbone is coming off an injury-plagued poor season but numbers wise he did finish with 2 goals 3 points in 6 playoff games vs 0 for Woo. I don't think Woo was ever that highly regarded and he hasn't done anything to change perceptions. Perceptions tend to carry on. Just look at our trade for Kravtsov. No one in their right mind would make the trade if we simply evaluated him based on his performance last season.

Anyhow, I have an opinion and gut feeling but I really have no clue. We've had some "bad luck" in terms of waivers in the past years. There is a chance that one of them can play their way to an NHL roster spot on some team like Gadjovich did.

Rathbone to me is just a total bust at this point. He hasn't improved a lick (and has actually regressed, really) since he came out of Harvard in 2021, he's too small, he can't defend well enough and honestly his offensive game really isn't there either. Christian Wolanin was on a different level as an offensive D in the AHL last year and both Wolanin and Hirose have passed him so in addition to tracking poorly he's also a totally irrelevant asset who is *way* down the depth chart as a skill LHD.

Woo is having the opposite sort of development curve to Rathbone in that he showed massive improvement last year as opposed to a regression, he's younger, and he plays a position role that is actually needed/useful to this team going forward as a RHD with some bite. And based on his finish to the season there might actually be an NHL projection there as opposed to Rathbone where I really can't see a projection at all.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Woo doesnt have the NHL portfolio to get claimed. He has almost no experience and at the end of spring training when there's a mess of players clearing waivers I highly doubt he would get taken.

Reactions: biturbo19

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Woo doesnt have the NHL portfolio to get claimed. He has almost no experience and at the end of spring training when there's a mess of players clearing waivers I highly doubt he would get taken.
Gadjovich had 1 game played in the NHL, was picked later in the 2nd round, and plays a less important position, and he got claimed.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Gadjovich had 1 game played in the NHL, was picked later in the 2nd round, and plays a less important position, and he got claimed.

There's more examples of players with no experience that clear waivers so I don't really get your point.

Don't think Woo has garnered any interest league wide and I think he would easily clear.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Yeah. It'd be nice. We did get "Gilliam" finally starting to look like he might be on the cusp last year. So that's...something. But our development system has really failed to churn out much of anything.

It feels like we've maybe finally got the farm team location right, and the proper coaching in place to possibly start to benefit from having an AHL affiliate for development, rather than having it as a pointless afterthought.

Though i still worry that it won't be long before that coaching is poached and we go back to wandering around in a developmental desert.

I don't think the desire for a homegrown depth player should really outweigh whether the guy is ready or not though. It'll take an absolutely gargantuan camp for me to even think about Woo sticking on the roster. I'd be thrilled if it comes to that. But i'm not holding my breath.
for sure.

I like what current mangement has done getting these college guys/CHL guys in our system. I mean look, I'm not expecting these guys to be anything more than NHL depth call ups but the idea and reasoning behind signing them is sound. I'll include McDonough but him, Hirose, McWard, Nielsen, Bains, Sasson, I mean there's something there. Development is key especially when you have guys with NHL potential. It's not like they're PDG's Petan's or Dowling's or Dries's, or he’ll even Juulsen’s, they're still young enough to mold and develop into something much more. The big show is just an hour away from them.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
There’s nothing more that I want in the world is for Woo to succeed so that dipshit racist poster that said he knew it was a bad pick because they don’t play hockey in China will be an even bigger idiot that he already proved to be. Delicious schadenfreude.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

That's why I said preseason performance matters. Gadjovich's 15 goals in 19 AHL games combined with a strong preseason likely helped him get claimed. In reality, Gadjovich was probably better off with more AHL seasoning. I think with Woo and Rathbone, their preseason performance is going to matter. If it looks like they are close to being NHL ready a team is more likely to pick them up.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
There’s nothing more that I want in the world is for Woo to succeed so that dipshit racist poster that said he knew it was a bad pick because they don’t play hockey in China will be an even bigger idiot that he already proved to be. Delicious schadenfreude.

Was the poster my uncle by any chance?

My uncle also calls Jason Robertson a CCP spy and says the NHL should keep a close eye on him...This despite the fact that Jason Robertson is half FILIPINO and born in the United States...

• Haha
Reactions: Huhu

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

My uncle also calls Jason Robertson a CCP spy and says the NHL should keep a close eye on him...This despite the fact that Jason Robertson is half FILIPINO and born in the United States...

Your uncle sounds like a piece of shit. Does he also claim to know and hang out with current Canucks players like the poster I’m alluding to?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

For what purpose would the NHL even be keeping an eye on him? Your uncle does realize that three-letter agencies aren't everything with a three-letter acronym, right?

Look out, those black helicopters might be from the NHL!

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Your uncle sounds like a piece of shit. Does he also claim to know and hang out with current Canucks players like the poster I’m alluding to?
Wrong...He is whole shit!

Probably not him. My uncle is a divorced loner who spends most of his days posting nonsense on Facebook.

For what purpose would the NHL even be keeping an eye on him? Your uncle does realize that three-letter agencies aren't everything with a three-letter acronym, right?

Look out, those black helicopters might be from the NHL!

This is the same guy that thinks COVID was planned and developed to do experiments on us.

It is both funny and sad listening to his conspiracy theories.

Reactions: Vector

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Woo is one of those guys who really got hurt by the COVID shutdown. Silovs and Rathbone were two other guys who hardly played that season. Losing a full season of development is a serious issue.

Woo is probably at a point now where the Canuck figured he might be 2-3 seasons ago. But has improved enough to be considered as a 6-7 depth d-man for the Canucks?

It's doubtful, but I guess that's why they have a training camp and exhibition games.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Woo is one of those guys who really got hurt by the COVID shutdown. Silovs and Rathbone were two other guys who hardly played that season. Losing a full season of development is a serious issue.

Woo is probably at a point now where the Canuck figured he might be 2-3 seasons ago. But has improved enough to be considered as a 6-7 depth d-man for the Canucks?

It's doubtful, but I guess that's why they have a training camp and exhibition games.
I don't see why its that doubtful. He had a great season and became the #1 down on the farm. Seems like a solid chance he cracks the lineup.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

As someone who is Asian - getting that upset over something like that is exactly what that racist poster wants. I laugh when I see people say stuff like that because its funny that people are that uneducated. Getting mad is what they want - dont give them that

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Why has Jett Woo not been given a chance yet? It’s frustrating to see him still down there. He has 1 bad pre season game (along with everyone else) playing with his AHL guys against a full NHL squad and that’s it. Doesn’t even get an extended look.

In the Abby games I’ve seen him, he’s been playing backup to Wolanin as the #1D. Some nights, he is the #1D. He’s very mobile and poised down there and deserves a shot. Send Juulsen tf out, that experiment has run its course.

Literally getting Brisebois’d over here.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Why has Jett Woo not been given a chance yet? It’s frustrating to see him still down there. He has 1 bad pre season game (along with everyone else) playing with his AHL guys against a full NHL squad and that’s it. Doesn’t even get an extended look.

In the Abby games I’ve seen him, he’s been playing backup to Wolanin as the #1D. Some nights, he is the #1D. He’s very mobile and poised down there and deserves a shot. Send Juulsen tf out, that experiment has run its course.

Literally getting Brisebois’d over here.
Maybe they're worried that if they bring him up, they won't be able to get him back down through waivers....particularly if he shows well. It may be the same reason we aren't seeing Wolanin. I suspect they're going to continue to explore trade options and will probably bring in Ethan Bear once he's healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad