Post-Game Talk: JETS Win Party Jets Fans [Mod: Jets 5-4 in SO over Preds]

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I just want to say AlphaLackey and Tommigun that was one of the most interesting discussions I've read around here in awhile. Respectful, curious of each others positions and informative. Thanks guys.

Tommigun explained their position and provided their evidence.

I explained mine, and provided my evidence.

How could any but the most deliberately obtuse see this as anything but progress?

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Great game tonight. Connor quite the two-way beast.

When Laine left the Jets bench I thought he was gone to get some dental work done from the stick job to his face. When he came back to the bench I noticed his beard was red and saw the big gash on his chin.

To help out with tonight's image trivia game, I am ugly Jets suit guy and the fellow on my right is the owner of the company at which I work. (edit: neither one of us has ever worked in the media)

I had a laugh reading through the thread, I actually got a penalty for knocking Stan Kubicek flying in a no-checking hockey game back in the 80's.

There was a funny post on the Colorado GDT last month, an Avalanche fan from Sweden referred to me and my brother as Winnipeg Suit Man and Homeless Camo Guy.

Every win is going to be so hard to come by in the playoffs but I think our team's one game at a time attitude through so many injuries has prepared us well. Everyone has stepped up and we have remained consistent.

I hope we finally win our first playoff game and our last playoff game as well (that is all I ask for ;))

Thanks for replying Luc. Now I will finally be able to sleep at night! I’m still trying to figure out who you look like though. :laugh: Maybe you’re just famous for being behind the bench all the time.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Tommigun explained their position and provided their evidence.

I explained mine, and provided my evidence.

How could any but the most deliberately obtuse see this as anything but progress?
Agreed. Not everyone takes the time to explain their position in a well thought counter point. The tricky part is not to take offense when someone disagrees with your position. When posting you don't have the benefit of non verbal ques that deescalate disagreements.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Well we got to the bottom of this then...neither Mud Turtle or I have a clue!

With that said it's a good illustration as to our memories. For a few seasons now I've noticed your owner in his seats well before the ugly suit & camouflage made appearances and had stated to friends that he looked familiar. Anyone I mentioned this to over the age of 40 agreed thought he was an ex broadcaster, in particular CKND.

Although I had certainly seen you & homeless camp guy in the stands recently, tonight was the first time I noticed you sitting with the fellow I had thought was the ex-broadcaster, so when Mud Turtle first mentioned this I thought he'd erred with the photo he posted.

Anyways glad you enjoyed the game. I'll spare you my own experience with Stan Kubicek. I'll only say that it involves his hit single "Tulsa Time" & him being at Cowboys one night.

Fonz, that’s so strange that we both thought the guy sitting behind the bench was a former CKND broadcaster BUT we were talking about different guys! What are the odds of that?
Shhh...I think there’s some kind of conspiracy going on here. We need to talk. :laugh:

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Agreed. Not everyone takes the time to explain their position in a well thought counter point. The tricky part is not to take offense when someone disagrees with your position. When posting you don't have the benefit of non verbal ques that deescalate disagreements.

"When I am contradicted, I am not angered; I seek to be enlightened" - N. Bonaparte.

Of course, he never lived a single day by that maxim, but it's a good one all the same ;)

I've named two "faux Jet fan" posters by name; they've made themselves as scarce as the pox on my underside, so f*** those momos

at the end of the day, I have had NOTHING save respectful, articulate, well-positioned discussions on any hockey topic.

you all rule p>

stop making me blush or I'm gonna sing shatner at you.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Yep Larry was a beast. He was also a real nice guy.

Yeah your right here on Larry Robinson-- but I wanted to know if Myers would be the same kind of fighter. Has anybody seen him fight ?? I know he went after PK Subban and I'd bet he would kill him, if hew was mad !!! anybody know on Myers ??

Maybe players shy away from him, because of his size ? -I really wonder ? If we could get him to play a little mean, that be great !! :)

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC

Yeah your right here on Larry Robinson-- but I wanted to know if Myers would be the same kind of fighter. Has anybody seen him fight ?? I know he went after PK Subban and I'd bet he would kill him, if hew was mad !!! anybody know on Myers ??

Maybe players shy away from him, because of his size ? -I really wonder ? If we could get him to play a little mean, that be great !! :)
I've never seen him fight. It's unlikely he becomes mean at this point but I hear you. Frustrating to see a big dude who won't use the size to his advantage. His reach is elite though :laugh:

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
I've never seen him fight. It's unlikely he becomes mean at this point but I hear you. Frustrating to see a big dude who won't use the size to his advantage. His reach is elite though :laugh:

A few years back while in Buffalo, an opposing player speared him in the family jewels, and Well, he went after him pretty angry. I'm sure some can post the YouTube video of it.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
1 complaint. The fans booing (or are they saying soob?) every time Subban touches the puck. Why are they trying to show him so much respect? He must love playing here. You want to hurt him? Ignore him!
download (4).jpg

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
It's only the team's fault that they had 6 guys on the ice or Stastny tripped a guy going up ice.
Refs are human ... calls are missed but when the opposing team goes after your top goal scorer how in the hell can you miss THREE obivous calls on Laine or the play where Morrissey gets knocked into the Pred bench even the announcer said it should have been a penalty. Majority of the time the calls will go against the Jets and that's ok because now the Jets are a good enough team to beat the refs too.
They said things even out ... I'm trying to think of a game where all the calls went the Jets way. How many times do we see the ****** refs in Jet threads?
Like breaking your stick over a goalie's mask .. is it a goal or a penalty?
What's the answer ... it depends who the team is?

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Refs are human ... calls are missed

I've been a referee at some high level competitive games -- yes I know "I never played the game" as Cosell said, but I'll damn well assert that being a referee at the national level Magic: the Gathering championships with a six figure cash prize carries more pressure than beer league hockey playoffs :P -- and never, ever, EVER will I embrace the narrative that refs are crooked. Andy van Hellemond famously lost his shit on a talk show once and postulated that while referees make mistakes and may occasionally be outright incompetent, "idiocy outweighs lunacy by a million to one" or something to that effect.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I've been a referee at some high level competitive games -- yes I know "I never played the game" as Cosell said, but I'll damn well assert that being a referee at the national level Magic: the Gathering championships with a six figure cash prize carries more pressure than beer league hockey playoffs :P -- and never, ever, EVER will I embrace the narrative that refs are crooked. Andy van Hellemond famously lost his **** on a talk show once and postulated that while referees make mistakes and may occasionally be outright incompetent, "idiocy outweighs lunacy by a million to one" or something to that effect.

Yea literally every fan base feels like they are getting jobbed by the refs. I will react in the heat of the moment to what I perceive as a missed or blown call but when the smoke clears I rarely blame the refs for a loss. The main reason is how often do fan bases credit them with a win?? I think it is the area in hockey most impacted by viewer bias and that is saying allot.

I firmly believe like puck luck it all tends to even out by the end of the season and you own your result. Players and teams will ultimately decide it and bitching about the refs for me feels like waisted energy.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Yea literally every fan base feels like they are getting jobbed by the refs. I will react in the heat of the moment to what I perceive as a missed or blown call but when the smoke clears I rarely blame the refs for a loss.

Oh believe me, when the referring was as bad as in the last Nashville game, I'll shit on the zebras. It's the role they play. Don't we all, since a young age, shit on authority figures? From our parents to the po-po to the pope himself, we love to "punch up" as it were.

Having said that, in my mind, I put "refereeing" on the same level as "card luck" when I play competitive poker -- a random, capricious force beyond my control, but one I have faith evens out in the end. A random bias I can calculate the variance of, and is impersonal and egalitarian in Her whimsy so I can cuss her when I lose and praise Her when I win, but at the end of the day, her voice has a measurable impact on one day's competition that (like all loud yawps) fades over time.

But yeah, I don't buy the "Bettman hates Winnipeg" narrative. And this is coming from a man that would boo Bettman even if he were presenting the Jets with the cup, because that's the role he's embraced. "I thought you were the city of Brotherly Love", he trolled Philadelphia with. "Boo me if you must, but this is a home rink game for me", he trolled New Jersey with, because NJ types are so f***ing grumpy they'll even boo their own :P

I firmly believe like puck luck it all tends to even out by the end of the season and you own your result. Players and teams will ultimately decide it and *****ing about the refs for me feels like waisted energy.

We might disagree on "the end of the season" but not "in the long run"; we'd only argue over how long we measure the long run.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
At the end of the day, the refs call about 15 penalties and award an average of 4-6 powerplays each way. A PP against is only about 20% of a net goal so even AT WORST bad reffing adds up to one lucky goal against. Again, "i never played the game" but I know enough eye-testing that if your team is sunk by one lucky goal against, your team sucks :P

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Oh believe me, when the referring was as bad as in the last Nashville game, I'll **** on the zebras. It's the role they play. Don't we all, since a young age, **** on authority figures? From our parents to the po-po to the pope himself, we love to "punch up" as it were.

Having said that, in my mind, I put "refereeing" on the same level as "card luck" when I play competitive poker -- a random, capricious force beyond my control, but one I have faith evens out in the end. A random bias I can calculate the variance of, and is impersonal and egalitarian in Her whimsy so I can cuss her when I lose and praise Her when I win, but at the end of the day, her voice has a measurable impact on one day's competition that (like all loud yawps) fades over time.

But yeah, I don't buy the "Bettman hates Winnipeg" narrative. And this is coming from a man that would boo Bettman even if he were presenting the Jets with the cup, because that's the role he's embraced. "I thought you were the city of Brotherly Love", he trolled Philadelphia with. "Boo me if you must, but this is a home rink game for me", he trolled New Jersey with, because NJ types are so ****ing grumpy they'll even boo their own :P

We might disagree on "the end of the season" but not "in the long run"; we'd only argue over how long we measure the long run.

Luck/breaks play a huge part in hockey and it’s one of the things I like about it.......I lump refs margin of error into the same category as lucky bounces. you win some you lose some.........but the key is you do win some and fans tend to discount the shit out of the ones that go our way and dwell on the ones we get screwed on.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Luck/breaks play a huge part in hockey and it’s one of the things I like about it.......I lump refs margin of error into the same category as lucky bounces. you win some you lose some.........but the key is you do win some and fans tend to discount the **** out of the ones that go our way and dwell on the ones we get screwed on.

be it your metaphor or mine, we both agree -- these are breaks you can't control, so why blow a lung trying to? I can only applaud or deride how the Jets, how the quality of their decisions are. And as I've expounded on at great length, when I see how f***ing moronic Todd McLellan's decisions are [he's a head coach, but say @YWGinYYZ or f*** that even @Derfel isn't?] I'm grateful for having the smarter, wiser, better probability-having hand that we have.

Reactions: ps241

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
yeah, sorry for riding this train to the terminus, but I literally can't think of a single poster (never mind our smartest ones!) that isn't more qualified than Todd "Kris Russell actually is good, f*** you numbers nerds" McLellan ;)

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
In the OT how did the Refs miss the blatant trip by Subban , it's with 1:47 to go in OT and as Stastny is skating by Subban , Subban sticks his leg out and Stastny goes flying . There is no way with only 6 guys on the ice that not 1 but 2 refs don't see that , just awful officiating . My voice is still rough from me screaming at the refs . :shakehead

Reactions: raideralex99

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB
be it your metaphor or mine, we both agree -- these are breaks you can't control, so why blow a lung trying to? I can only applaud or deride how the Jets, how the quality of their decisions are. And as I've expounded on at great length, when I see how ****ing moronic Todd McLellan's decisions are [he's a head coach, but say @YWGinYYZ or **** that even @Derfel isn't?] I'm grateful for having the smarter, wiser, better probability-having hand that we have.

Eh?

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
I've been a referee at some high level competitive games -- yes I know "I never played the game" as Cosell said, but I'll damn well assert that being a referee at the national level Magic: the Gathering championships with a six figure cash prize carries more pressure than beer league hockey playoffs :P -- and never, ever, EVER will I embrace the narrative that refs are crooked. Andy van Hellemond famously lost his **** on a talk show once and postulated that while referees make mistakes and may occasionally be outright incompetent, "idiocy outweighs lunacy by a million to one" or something to that effect.
2 words ... Tim Donaghy
Betting on point spreads on the games he did ... resigned before reports of an investigation by the FBI.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
In the OT how did the Refs miss the blatant trip by Subban , it's with 1:47 to go in OT and as Stastny is skating by Subban , Subban sticks his leg out and Stastny goes flying . There is no way with only 6 guys on the ice that not 1 but 2 refs don't see that , just awful officiating . My voice is still rough from me screaming at the refs . :shakehead
Subban sure gets a lot of breaks from the refs too. The last game in Toronto ... he pinched and got caught, the Leafs had a 3-1 break ... Subban faked an injury like he got shot and the ref actually blew the play dead. He never missed a shift.

Reactions: Jets 31

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Subban sure gets a lot of breaks from the refs too. The last game in Toronto ... he pinched and got caught, the Leafs had a 3-1 break ... Subban faked an injury like he got shot and the ref actually blew the play dead. He never missed a shift.
Effective cheating is an important part of playoff hockey / success.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad