Post-Game Talk: Jets win 4-3, The End

None

Feb 22, 2012
Lowry didn't try. You can't say that something didn't work if he never bothered to try.

Oh I know he didn't but I'm not going to hold his feet over the fire for it when I know he's as good as gone. It's also hard to blame him too much when the real problem has been festering for years before he was even hired.

Maurice and by extension Cheveldayoff are to blame. Maurice directly and Cheveldayoff by extension of not holding Maurice accountable.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I'm still trying to understand what he wants -
What is he looking for from this team?

Sounding more and more like this is an excuse to be used when he comes back and says he wants out.
I think he knows he's grinding on a few of his team mates (KC, Ehlers, Stasts, PLD come to mind).

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
The fall of scheifele is something I never would have imagined. He truly was the chosen one, he was given every opportunity and seemed to have an amazing attitude.

I really don't know what changed. He seemed destined to be the next captain after Wheeler, and was supposedly one of those players with a Crosby-like determination to improve.

Right up until we actually made it far in the playoffs once.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I think part of it is that he played a couple seasons after signing that team-friendly contract and then suddenly decided he’d made a mistake signing it and started to adopt a more and more “entitled” attitude. “Considering the money they are paying me they damn well better treat me special!”

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I honestly think Stastny's comments were directed more at the coach than it was at any player(s)?

I don't see Chevy moving Scheif this season. He'll tell Scheif to give it a year to see where the team goes and they will talk next summer. I think this is the way to go because if you end up trading Scheif, you'd probably getmore for him next summer because you can re-sign him right away.

Was "the direction" the team is going meaning am I (Scheif) going to get to play with (for example) KC and Ehlers. and not Apples...
Nah, when you take his other comments in context. He was talking player as much as coach.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I really don't know what changed. He seemed destined to be the next captain after Wheeler, and was supposedly one of those players with a Crosby-like determination to improve.

I hope nobody takes this as a defence of Scheifele because it certainly isn’t meant to be that. However, I think Scheifele started checking out from this team because he became disillusioned with the systems and the inability to adapt to different styles of play. That inability to adapt became abundantly clear in the conference final although it was there before that as well. It just wasn’t as apparent.
This coaching staff over the last half dozen years have been blessed with highly skilled players that were badly misused. Paul Maurice tried to mould them into what he wanted instead of letting them play to their strengths. I honestly believe that Scheifele saw that and progressively began to give up on any chance of winning here. When you think about it that’s not very different from what we’ve all been saying for the last several years as well.
That being said, he is paid millions of dollars to compete at 100% every night and he hasn’t done that for a very long time. I think Mark Scheifele is a sad example of taking a high character guy and absolutely ruining him. A big part of that of course is the fact that he was never corrected when it was necessary.
Human nature being what it is, people can slack off a tiny bit without consequences, which over the long term becomes incredibly noticeable.
There’s a lot of blame to go around in this sad situation.
Players don’t give 100%, coaches don’t enforce consequences and management doesn’t correct coaching issues when they arise.
Personally I am very glad that it’s all coming crashing down because that gives me hope for next year.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Craig Burube held people accountable as an interim coach and took his team to a cup, Sutter came in last year and held people accountable as a Interim coach, Boudreau did it this year with Vancouver.

Being an interim coach is not an excuse for being a shitty coach.
All of them had been NHL coaches in the past. The choice of Lowry, as well as keeping the rest of the staff was a weak move and the players knew it.

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
I was gonna say, those are some weird responses for an alternate captain who's under contract until 2024.

But really, the writing is on the wall. Ship him out. It's time.
Kind of like breaking up with a girlfriend. Wants to get his first word in before getting dumped

Fatdrunk

Better Luck Next Year
Feb 1, 2019

Fatdrunk

Better Luck Next Year
Feb 1, 2019

Yeah Maurice once said they’ll put up a statue of him one day
76DE6598-4B12-4436-914A-E88538E4C7D6.gif

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Stastny talking about coaches calling players out and holding them accountable. One of Maurice’s weaknesses was that he could never do that with his vets, it was mainly reserved for younger players.
Pretty clear Scheifele was a bone of contention for quite a few teammates. Chevy’s inaction with PoMo has resulted in a lot of damage.

I am still wondering just how much of that was Chevy and how much was Chipman wanting to be loyal. Well I certainly hope Mark has learned his lesson. Loyalty is good until it starts hurting performance and causing issues.

If this org can use this as a learning experience then they can grow from it.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Scheifele claims his game has never been better……really? Wow.

Regardless, seems clear he’s not into a tear down and rebuild. Will be interesting to see what it is he needs to hear. I’d more interested in what Chevy needs to hear from Scheifele to see what his options are.
Mark sounded cluelessly unaccountable during that whole Q&A.

He was also using COVID and the coaching staff as excuses.... a stark contrast to JoMo the other day who poured cold water on that and stated coaching changed happen and players should be able to handle it. No personal accountability at all and nothing to do with how the team can get back on track next year.

I also would like to know what Chevy needs ro hear.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I am still wondering just how much of that was Chevy and how much was Chipman wanting to be loyal. Well I certainly hope Mark has learned his lesson. Loyalty is good until it starts hurting performance and causing issues.

If this org can use this as a learning experience then they can grow from it.
Thank you for posting so much this year. Always author some of my favourite posts on the site.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad