Post-Game Talk: Jets win 4-3, The End

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I thought there was some stuff left over mentally from the hit last season, some kind of mental block. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Those quotes today were from someone who's deluded about their abilities and has never been told no or reprimanded in any way.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Stastny talking about coaches calling players out and holding them accountable. One of Maurice’s weaknesses was that he could never do that with his vets, it was mainly reserved for younger players.
Pretty clear Scheifele was a bone of contention for quite a few teammates. Chevy’s inaction with PoMo has resulted in a lot of damage.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Stastny talking about coaches calling players out and holding them accountable. One of Maurice’s weaknesses was that he could never do that with his vets, it was mainly reserved for younger players.
Pretty clear Scheifele was a bone of contention for quite a few teammates. Chevy’s inaction with PoMo has resulted in a lot of damage.
I think that was also directed at Dave Lowry who didn't hold anybody accountable at all. He tried to hold Scheifele accountable in January when he benched him for the last 4 minutes of a game, and in the following days the reporters started talking about a rift between Lowry and Scheifele. He never attempted to hold Scheifele accountable again after that game.
Post automatically merged:

The notion that the Jets have to prove themselves to Scheifele is so mindbendingly tone deaf, it’s melted my brain.

I’m at the point I can only laugh.
I dont see a way that the Jets can bring him back at this point. He talked all about how important he is and how his career comes first, he feels that the team owes him something and the quickest way to change the culture with this team is to ship his ass out of town and send the message that this is about the Jets and not any one individual.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I honestly think Stastny's comments were directed more at the coach than it was at any player(s)?

I don't see Chevy moving Scheif this season. He'll tell Scheif to give it a year to see where the team goes and they will talk next summer. I think this is the way to go because if you end up trading Scheif, you'd probably getmore for him next summer because you can re-sign him right away.

Was "the direction" the team is going meaning am I (Scheif) going to get to play with (for example) KC and Ehlers. and not Apples...

Reactions: Jetland162702

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Couldn't help but notice that neither Scheifele nor Wheeler were wearing Jets gear during their interviews. I don't care if there is friction between the club and players - for players who are supposed to be leaders, that's just bad form. We're stuck with Wheeler's contract for 2 more years, but Scheifele's attitude is not something that Chevy should tolerate, especially given his statement. This team underperformed this year, and it was clear who was just along for the ride. We were 5-0 when neither player was on the team, we can do this without them.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I think that was also directed at Dave Lowry who didn't hold anybody accountable at all. He tried to hold Scheifele accountable in January when he benched him for the last 4 minutes of a game, and in the following days the reporters started talking about a rift between Lowry and Scheifele. He never attempted to hold Scheifele accountable again after that game.

I dont see a way that the Jets can bring him back at this point. He talked all about how important he is and how his career comes first, he feels that the team owes him something and the quickest way to change the culture with this team is to ship his ass out of town and send the message that this is about the Jets and not any one individual.
I’m not sure it was Lowry as much as Maurice. By the time Lowry inherited him, the damage was done and an interim coach wasn’t going to be able to alter that.
Regardless, Stastny was clearly talking about the need to hold players accountable and that being needed with this team. That implicates coaches and players.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian

i hope this is not the first "tough" conversation he's had with the gm/coaching etc. like have they been watching him since the 18-19 season?

Stats is an amazing guy for the depth of analysis he brings. How many NHL interviews have you heard that reflect his depth? This is a solid guy who actually uses his brain.

Sign Stats for next year or get him as a coach. I don't care which.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
I honestly think Stastny's comments were directed more at the coach than it was at any player(s)?

I don't see Chevy moving Scheif this season. He'll tell Scheif to give it a year to see where the team goes and they will talk next summer. I think this is the way to go because if you end up trading Scheif, you'd probably getmore for him next summer because you can re-sign him right away.

Was "the direction" the team is going meaning am I (Scheif) going to get to play with (for example) KC and Ehlers. and not Apples...
Scheifele talked a bunch today about how important his career is, and how he needs the Jets to sell him on staying here. f*** that, if he feels that his career is more important than the team then send his ass somewhere else.

Statsny's comments were directed at the coach, but I think it was also targeted at Scheifele or anyone else in the room who feels that their game is more important than playing a team game. If players are not being selfish and refusing to play the way the coach wants, there is no reason to be holding people accountable.

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Couldn't help but notice that neither Scheifele nor Wheeler were wearing Jets gear during their interviews. For players who are supposed to be leaders, that's just bad form. We're stuck with Wheeler's contract for 2 more years, but Scheifele's attitude is not something that Chevy should tolerate, especially given his statement. This team underperformed this year, and it was clear who was just along for the ride. We were 5-0 when neither player was on the team, we can do this without them.
55 should had been benched many times this year, Comrie should have played more.
Many players don’t wear jets gear. Wheeler is too busy promoting his wagon wheel hats.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I’m not sure it was Lowry as much as Maurice. By the time Lowry inherited him, the damage was done and an interim coach wasn’t going to be able to alter that.
Regardless, Stastny was clearly talking about the need to hold players accountable and that being needed with this team. That implicates coaches and players.

Yeah the interim title is basically like a substitute teacher. You can try discipline but it's not going to work.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Yeah the interim title is basically like a substitute teacher. You can try discipline but it's not going to work.
Craig Burube held people accountable as an interim coach and took his team to a cup, Sutter came in last year and held people accountable as a Interim coach, Boudreau did it this year with Vancouver.

Being an interim coach is not an excuse for being a shitty coach.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'd like to keep Scheifele, but not if you cannot change his attitude, and if he's causing problems with the other players in the dressing room. When you look at what he's paid for the talent he brings, he's a good deal on paper, but only if he buys into team philosophy and brings the team together, and not dividing them.

It looks by all the comments that Scheifele is the problem, and you can never win with guys like that. It just diminishes team morale, and you can't put out that passion and intensity needed to win. Another example of a guy like that, is Jack Eichel, where he seems to make every team worse that he goes to.

I do wonder if the Jets were in the process of trading him ? or if he was really injured ? Maybe he was injured, but the Jets need to fix this Scheifele problem, whatever it is, so they can move forward, and be competitive.

If he is the problem, and it appears so, "get rid of him" and they would get a real good player in return, and the Jets would play like a team again. If his attitude or problem can be corrected, then they should do that, but most of the time when you have a player with an attitude problem, it never goes away, and continues to be a lingering problem.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I'd like to keep Scheifele, but not if you cannot change his attitude, and if he's causing problems with the other players in the dressing room. When you look at what he's paid for the talent he brings, he's a good deal on paper, but only if he buys into team philosophy and brings the team together, and not dividing them.

It looks by all the comments that Scheifele is the problem, and you can never win with guys like that. It just diminishes team morale, and you can't put out that passion and intensity needed to win. Another example of a guy like that, is Jack Eichel, where he seems to make every team worse that he goes to.

I do wonder if the Jets were in the process of trading him ? or if he was really injured ? Maybe he was injured, but the Jets need to fix this Scheifele problem, whatever it is, so they can move forward, and be competitive.

If he is the problem, and it appears so, "get rid of him" and they would get a real good player in return, and the Jets would play like a team again. If his attitude or problem can be corrected, then they should do that, but most of the time when you have a player with an attitude problem, it never goes away, and continues to be a lingering problem.
are you really going to continue with this theory that the jets might have been in the process of trading him? he was clearly injured... it made no sense to trade him after the trade deadline...

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Stastny may like playing here but forces outside of the game might take him elsewhere. I though he had a better second half of the season and his candidness is refreshing.
Apparently Chevy didn't try to shop him at the deadline and didn't even have a conversation with him about destinations, when he could've returned a 2nd round pick from a contender. I think he's here for another year, and certainly hope so.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Craig Burube held people accountable as an interim coach and took his team to a cup, Sutter came in last year and held people accountable as a Interim coach, Boudreau did it this year with Vancouver.

Being an interim coach is not an excuse for being a shitty coach.

I think both can be true. Lowry was handed a poison pill team because Maurice was so f***ing useless at holding players accountable.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
So many "me me me I I I" in those quotes. You are under contract for 2 more years, sit your ass down boy, you are in no position to be acting indignant with defensive effort that we saw this season.
I was gonna say, those are some weird responses for an alternate captain who's under contract until 2024.

But really, the writing is on the wall. Ship him out. It's time.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
I think both can be true. Lowry was handed a poison pill team because Maurice was so f***ing useless at holding players accountable.
Lowry didn't try. You can't say that something didn't work if he never bothered to try.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad