Pre-Game Talk: Jets @ Wild - 7PM CT Tues. Oct. 19 - First TSN Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
nash couldnt get pp time on one of the worst pp teams in the league (CBJ) - but top unit here

beaulieu scratched by frickin' buffalo, traded for a 6th - top pair defender here

maurice playing chess, rest of the nhl playing checkers
Maurice has to be, as the youngins say, trolling us with these lines.

ennsjd07

Feb 11, 2016
Kauai, Hawaii

One has to think in the grind of a long long season he’d occasionally do something to:
1. Start a fire under people to get them riled up, if you think these decisions feel trollish for us, can you imagine what Ehlers or Stastny must be thinking? Do you think PoMo brought them in to explain his thoughts? Probably not. Whether it’s brilliant or not is yet to be seen, but it’s something.
2. Throw off scouting reports. Other team’s scouts have to watch tape or read up on reports like this. Wheeler might be out, what is the plan now for the Wild penalty kill? They don’t know why the Jets plan is because of something so ridiculous in the pp1 slot.
3. Or Maurice is a bumbling buffoon.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
I hope so!

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game, irregardless of the lineup. We have enough talent to play up to the level of competition, and no reason Helle can't steal one even if we play poorly. We have some serious firepower.

At the same time, I won't be surprised if we lose. Things are off so far this year, and it's not just Hellebuyck. I expect things to settle down in a week or two.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Wheeler in Covid protocol?
I thought he was vaxxed.
If Wheeler is out it will be interesting how the team plays ... what if the PP goes 2 for 2 and Jets win 5-1 will Maurice finally take Wheeler off the top line?

He is Vaxxed

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Ok so I have been downplaying Nash on PP1 as a "practice only" move but listening to Maurice's interview he seems to be saying that Nash is a legitimate option to play there tomorrow?

I guess he could just be playing mindgames trying to throw off the Wild's prep but it's game 3. Before listening to this interview I was 95% sure that there is no way Nash goes in that spot but after that interview I am leaning 65-35 in favor of him being on the top unit if Wheeler can't play. I think the mad lad might actually do it :laugh:.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Ok so I have been downplaying Nash on PP1 as a "practice only" move but listening to Maurice's interview he seems to be saying that Nash is a legitimate option to play there tomorrow?

I guess he could just be playing mindgames trying to throw off the Wild's prep but it's game 3. Before listening to this interview I was 95% sure that there is no way Nash goes in that spot but after that interview I am leaning 65-35 in favor of him being on the top unit if Wheeler can't play. I think the mad lad might actually do it :laugh:.

Sigh.

Yup, he's serious.

Now would be a good time to switch up PP strategy, not shoehorn a 4th liner into an already struggling unit.

Classic: trying to conform players to a system 1st, rather than looking to put the best players into positions to help them succeed. I'm not against systems, but the priorities are reversed (at least if the goal is optimization).

To be fair, it's short notice. We'll see how things look tomorrow - maybe they'll change things up... ... ...

Or who knows. Maybe Nash is some hidden gem PP hero and we just don't know it (anyone know how he looked in the past? Mau referred to 'experience')

Nov 24, 2006
Cole Perfetti on the 4th line, stapled to future Winnipeg Jets PP legend Riley Nash.

If only Maurice had a boss, someone who could provide input into game situations. Oh well.

Reactions: rkp and Waterbuf

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sigh.

Yup, he's serious.

Now would be a good time to switch up PP strategy, not shoehorn a 4th liner into an already struggling unit.

Classic: trying to conform players to a system 1st, rather than looking to put the best players into positions to help them succeed. I'm not against systems, but the priorities are reversed (at least if the goal is optimization).

To be fair, it's short notice. We'll see how things look tomorrow - maybe they'll change things up... ... ...

Or who knows. Maybe Nash is some hidden gem PP hero and we just don't know it (anyone know how he looked in the past? Mau referred to 'experience')

He hasn't scored a power play point since 17-18 and has a whopping 18 in his entire career. This is just Maurice trying to prove that he's smarter then everyone else yet again. Its a pretty stupid move.

thai jet

Aug 13, 2021
Winnipeg
Cole Perfetti on the 4th line, stapled to future Winnipeg Jets PP legend Riley Nash.

If only Maurice had a boss, someone who could provide input into game situations. Oh well.

He does have a boss in "Chipper" good buddy Wheeler who wants to make sure there isn't success while he is out. He has a point because when he was out late last season the team played much better.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Let me get this straight. We're 0/8 on the PP and it's clearly not working. The system is bunk, the players look lost. So the solution for our situation is to put an unskilled guy in the spot of the player who actually specialized (I use this term loosely) at good PP setup passes? Doubly so for 5v5 - we're rewarding grinders, not skill. I have serious concerns about our playoff ambitions at the rate this is going.

If our powerplay starts the year 0/20 and we maintain that 40% PK rate, fire Maurice. We have all the skill in the world, we shouldn't be getting shredded on special teams like this.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
nash couldnt get pp time on one of the worst pp teams in the league (CBJ) - but top unit here

beaulieu scratched by frickin' buffalo, traded for a 6th - top pair defender here

maurice playing chess, rest of the nhl playing checkers

Ummmmm .... yeah, right, that's what it is. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Never listen to Maurice. It can really screw with your mind.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Never listen to Maurice. It can really screw with your mind.

5qxq12.jpg

div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: