Pre-Game Talk: Jets vs Panthers (Feb 5th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
While I respect the fact that it's your choice whether you watch the games or not, I hope you are in the minority in being a fair weather fan. I agree that it's perfectly acceptable to be pissed at their performance last week, but this franchise won't survive if Winnipegger's are on and off the bus constantly.

I will ALWAYS keep watching, even if it means I have to grumble and ***** while doing it. ;)
I personally don't even understand being mad outside of being mad at poor management. So the Jets got bit by the penalty bug and lost a couple games... that happens to pretty much every team every year.

*shrug*

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
I personally don't even understand being mad outside of being mad at poor management. So the Jets got bit by the penalty bug and lost a couple games... that happens to pretty much every team every year.

*shrug*

I've been a fan of a ****** team for basically my whole life. I won't even know what to do with myself if my team ever becomes a perennial contender. :laugh:

That's why I love the trade deadline, draft and FA frenzy so much... for the hope that my team might improve.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Agree with everything about your post except this portion. Honestly, the PP is probably what I'm least worried about with this team, people seem to be forgetting that the Jets are operating at a 23.5% clip (good for 12th in the league). As long as Enstrom, Buff and Wheeler are on this team, the PP will always be above average.

I agree that it hasn't always looked pretty, the entries in particular have sucked recently. I also agree that the shot volume needs to improve. Just seems like the PP is a real back burner problem for the Jets right now, that's all.

I agree that 23.whatever percent is good and all that...but I would counter with the PP IS NOT operating at this capacity when it really needs to count.

In the Ottawa game...how many chances did they have to keep the game close at least? I think Ottawa had seven penalties against them.

Montreal had two penalties in the final 5-10minutes of the game...and the couldn't capitalize.

My point is that yea, 23percent is good and all...but after watching the bulk of those games, they caught the goaltender sleeping on more then one occasion. That's not going to happen forever. In the game against Montreal that PP cost us the game, and when I say that, I really mean it was the straw that broke the camels back. A win in Frogland would have changed he whole road trip, set the team with alot of momentum heading into Florida. I think we still would have gotten spanked by Tampa, but I think we could have gotten at least tree points.

They waste time on the PP when it really counts. When you are gift wrapped a chance to tie the game on the final few minutes...you don't do what I mentioned before and waste a minute trying to take a single ****ing shot. You need to generate pressure and make your own scoring chances in that scenario. That game in Montreal was easily winnable.

Play with some battle. Play with some heart and play like you want to win the ****ing game for Christs sake!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I agree that 23.whatever percent is good and all that...but I would counter with the PP IS NOT operating at this capacity when it really needs to count.

In the Ottawa game...how many chances did they have to keep the game close at least? I think Ottawa had seven penalties against them.

Montreal had two penalties in the final 5-10minutes of the game...and the couldn't capitalize.

My point is that yea, 23percent is good and all...but after watching the bulk of those games, they caught the goaltender sleeping on more then one occasion. That's not going to happen forever. In the game against Montreal that PP cost us the game, and when I say that, I really mean it was the straw that broke the camels back. A win in Frogland would have changed he whole road trip, set the team with alot of momentum heading into Florida. I think we still would have gotten spanked by Tampa, but I think we could have gotten at least tree points.

They waste time on the PP when it really counts. When you are gift wrapped a chance to tie the game on the final few minutes...you don't do what I mentioned before and waste a minute trying to take a single ****ing shot. You need to generate pressure and make your own scoring chances in that scenario. That game in Montreal was easily winnable.

Play with some battle. Play with some heart and play like you want to win the ****ing game for Christs sake!

I prefer to look at special teams as a whole. I can't remember which coach said this but your special teams percentage needs to be +100 or it's hurting you.

Which means with our PP @ 23% our PK has to be a minimum 77% or it affects our opportunity to win, especially on the road.

I don't think that being better than 23% on the PP is realistic. Our PK right now is 59%. Where this team needs to improve is obvious.

Our PP isn't fancy but it's effective. We need to kill more penalties, period (and take less)

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

I don't understand the "when" argument with the PowerPlay. If it is good it is good, no team controls the when. Not a single one.

That said, I do have some worries about the PowerPlay. I don't think they are as good as the percentage. They have converted attempts, but they aren't consistently holding gaining and holding the zone.

I also don't the PK is as bad as the percentage. I actually thought the PK looked better the last 2 games than it had early, despite the sad sack results.

Pav have been awful the last couple games. That is the biggest difference IMO.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
^ Have to agree Truck, with even average goal-tending we have 2 more wins.

Just wonder how long this team goes with the current goal tending situation if Pav's doesn't turn his slump around, do you bring up PASQUALE for a couple games?

Last edited:

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
There's a difference between being angry and not watching and not supporting. I spent a lot of money last year visiting the Jets across America, buying their merch, and waiving the flag.

Skipping 2 games because their effort pisses me off doesn't make me a fair weather fan.

I would say it does, might be in the minority there not sure??

I put up with piss poor efforts from my team for 5-10 years straight...I hung in.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Meow
Line | RelQoC | OZS | CorsiRel | CorsiOn | P/60
1st line| 3.742| 54.2| -15.0| -14.98| 3.07
2nd line| 0.186| 46.9| 14.3| 06.89| 4.88
3rd line| 0.502| 49.0| 01.9| -01.63| 2.42
4th line| -0.461| 58.1| -01.7| -08.11| 2.98
|
1st pair| 1.000| 58.7| -19.6| -18.43| 9.13
2nd pair| 1.116| 50.6| 15.1| 09.78| 0.48
3rd pair| -0.405| 52.8| -11.1| -11.06| 0.00

Jets
Line | RelQoC | OZS | CorsiRel | CorsiOn | P/60
KJWh| -0.059| 54.3| -04.1| -04.58| 5.27
LAL | 1.822| 56.4| 02.4 | -00.06| 4.83
PBW | -0.337| 46.6| 11.6 | 07.40| 1.97
WST | -1.082| 41.3| -15.4| -14.80| 2.90
note: I'm not doing our defence due to it being in shambles and also Redmond sample size is ridiculously tiny

oops GDT is up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad