GDT: Jets vs Oilers September 14 1:30pm CT - Penticton SOEC

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yup. He played a more team oriented game today while still flashing his dynamic ability. He still has to watch his high risk passes at the other teams blue line though and not go east west in the NZ as much or someone will take off his head at the NHL level. But all in all he had an excellent game today and should hit camp with some confidence.

Agreed. Trying to turn everything into a scoring play dogs top tier forward prospects. They are use to the offense coming easy, and being better enough then most of the competition to make up for mistakes. It will be a learning curve for the kid for sure.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
There were a few valid concerns raised in a whole lot of 'the sky is falling" after a couple prospect exhibition games. Most valid IMO that Ehlers was trying to do to much and was entering the zone on his own with too much speed for his linemates. Today he seemed to have a much better pace to his game.

Agree on Ehlers.

I don't think some concern over our prospects playing uninspired or downright bad hockey in high profile games leading into TC amounts to "the sky is falling". Claiming this means nothing seems far more absurd. If that were so, I guess all the Jets brass and scouts from across the league in attendance must have taken a wrong left turn at Albuquerque. After all, nobody cares and it don't matter, right? ;)

Either way, I'm glad they had a better game today, even if it was against an Oilers prospect team minus many of their best players. The effort was there, and some skill shone through. That's all most of us were looking for.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agree on Ehlers.

I don't think some concern over our prospects playing uninspired or downright bad hockey in high profile games leading into TC amounts to "the sky is falling". Claiming this means nothing seems far more absurd. If that were so, I guess all the Jets brass and scouts from across the league in attendance must have taken a wrong left turn at Albuquerque. After all, nobody cares and it don't matter, right? ;)

Either way, I'm glad they had a better game today, even if it was against an Oilers prospect team minus many of their best players. The effort was there, and some skill shone through. That's all most of us were looking for.

IMO there was a fair amount of over reaction to the outcome of the games. At this point all that really matters is individual games by key prospects. At tops only a handful of the prospects will ever play in the NHL, and only a couple are anywhere near ready this season. I wouldn't call it uninspired, but rather confused hockey. 20 guys unfamiliar with each other all wanting to prove themselves. Do you really believe any of these kids are going to blow off their life long dream at this point because they don't care? All the brass and scouts likely had many of them well off their games due to the importance of such a small trial to their futures and their inexperience in handling the pressure.

Waldo

May 27, 2002
Winnipeg
Visit site
I'm not exactly inspired by McCambridge as a coach. He seems to me being as Claude Noel without the personality or intellectual depth. . He didn't adapt well to the poor play of game 1 and didn't seem to make any adjustments as the game went on. Game 2 was totally uninspired a again no adjustments. Game 3 was nite and day different. Of course, I am making to rash judgements based on only 3 games but I'll be interested in how the Moose perform with all the talent they will be icing this season. The chemistry between Copp and Ehlers was a joy to watch. We can't take too much out of the tournament but Ehlers displayed his talent in game 3 and Copp showed that he may be more that a 4th line C. I am making too much out of 3 games in a meaningless tournament but we are allowed to make something out of nothing for our own enjoyment. There are some insights we can take from this. I think our better players were our better players today. Petan, Morrisey, and Ehlers looked good. Olsen and Copp have played well all 3 games. I liked Harkins but didn't seem to get as much ice or time play with better talent or played on special teams but for me he's moved a notch higher on the prospect list. The whole purpose of the tourney was to give the young ones a chance to warmup before TC and get them ready to compete. I couldn't watch the game because of that work thing some of us have to do but did watch the highlites and read the opinions of those that were able to watch. Had we sucked as badly as we did the 1st 2 games I would have been concerned but we've won, I have a day off tomorrow, I've had a few beers and a pizza so life is good. Can't wait for training camp.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
IMO there was a fair amount of over reaction to the outcome of the games.

Maybe.
But it was made pretty clear by a few of us that the outcome didn't matter. What we were looking for was...

At this point all that really matters is individual games by key prospects.

^This.
I felt this individual effort by key prospects was lacking in games 1 & 2.

Perhaps you're not focusing on the same posts as I am, so we can just agree on your quote above.

I wouldn't call it uninspired, but rather confused hockey. 20 guys unfamiliar with each other all wanting to prove themselves.

Sure. Same could be said for the other teams. Their guys still somehow managed to show better in their games against the Jets.

I don't discount these factors you mention. But neither do I use it as blinders to completely disregard poor individual efforts.

Do you really believe any of these kids are going to blow off their life long dream at this point because they don't care?

Um... nope?

All the brass and scouts likely had many of them well off their games due to the importance of such a small trial to their futures and their inexperience in handling the pressure.

True enough. Again, this applies equally to the other teams and prospects who played better through those initial games. Also, the ability to play under pressure is an important facet (among many others) in evaluating a prospect. Failing to rise to the occasion is not entirely irrelevant.

I'm being a bit nit-picky here KingBogo because you've made a few posts which seemed to make fun of my (and others) opinions of the first 2 games. I'm happy to have this more in-depth discussion though, and in general I find most of the stuff you post pretty good.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Maybe.
But it was made pretty clear by a few of us that the outcome didn't matter. What we were looking for was...

^This.
I felt this individual effort by key prospects was lacking in games 1 & 2.

Perhaps you're not focusing on the same posts as I am, so we can just agree on your quote above.

Sure. Same could be said for the other teams. Their guys still somehow managed to show better in their games against the Jets.

I don't discount these factors you mention. But neither do I use it as blinders to completely disregard poor individual efforts.

Um... nope?

True enough. Again, this applies equally to the other teams and prospects who played better through those initial games. Also, the ability to play under pressure is an important facet (among many others) in evaluating a prospect. Failing to rise to the occasion is not entirely irrelevant.

I'm being a bit nit-picky here KingBogo because you've made a few posts which seemed to make fun of my (and others) opinions of the first 2 games. I'm happy to have this more in-depth discussion though, and in general I find most of the stuff you post pretty good.

Fair enough and I don't see it as nit-picky and I appreciate your arguments. I have no problems with any comments that are specific. What was observed and a thoughts behind what was observed, because IMO their are many knowledgeable hockey fans on this board, and I think we all learn from each other.

Maybe my comments were more all encompassing then they should have been, but I guess my bias is with comments that expressed things as dire with no other context. I can see that in the heat of the season and especially the playoffs when emotions are heightened. But IMO it is a little over the top for prospect exhibition games.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Anybody know if the replay is up yet? Or a scoring summary at least?

I had to get up early this morning and couldn't stay up to watch last night.
#timezonessuck #screwyousanfordfleming

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Do we send Tulsa chocolate, in order to say sorry for potentially having to watch Harstad, Stoykewych and Serville play hockey. Holy smackers.

Lots of decent stuff in this game, though.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
IMO their are many knowledgeable hockey fans on this board, and I think we all learn from each other.

I watched the Jets/Calgary game live on the youtube stream. There was some kind of youtube chat thingie where people watching could post comments. I was pretty horrified at the utter drooling stupidity of 99% of people posting there. That made me appreciate HFBoards all the more. This place is like a rare internet haven of intelligent debate. ;)

But IMO it is a little over the top for prospect exhibition games.

I'll grant "over the top" is something we do well around here.

Now, back to my afternoon project. I've been playing Chevy's most recent interview backwards to decode his secret message about trading Buff. I think he's doing reverse Morse code with his left eyelid.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Just watched the hightlights might watch the full game tomorrow. Looks like Copp and Ehlers are gelling pretty good. Maybe we see a ?-Copp-Ehlers 4th line this season if all goes well in camp. I'm excited to see what Armia will bring to the table. Ehlers can play either wing so we could see him on the left side to with Armia on the right. So many possibilities.
Copp is a shoe in for me. He has faceoff prowess. Has one of the best defensive sticks of the current Jets prospects and if given the right player can open up offensively too. It remains to be seem how well he can do this game to game in the NHL but I have a lot of faith in his abilities at this time. He is already a better Jim Slater at this time.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Just watched the hightlights might watch the full game tomorrow. Looks like Copp and Ehlers are gelling pretty good. Maybe we see a ?-Copp-Ehlers 4th line this season if all goes well in camp. I'm excited to see what Armia will bring to the table. Ehlers can play either wing so we could see him on the left side to with Armia on the right. So many possibilities.
Copp is a shoe in for me. He has faceoff prowess. Has one of the best defensive sticks of the current Jets prospects and if given the right player can open up offensively too. It remains to be seem how well he can do this game to game in the NHL but I have a lot of faith in his abilities at this time. He is already a better Jim Slater at this time.

interesting thought.
LLW
PSS
BLA
TCE

Thor there to be the muscle and protect Ehlers. That lineup don't look too bad.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
IIRC Scheif had a terrible tournament the year he made the jump.

And Schief was by far the best Jet at the tournament the year before that! Dont get you guys jumping all over Schief!:sarcasm:

Ehler's will be in for a rude awakening if he tries to hog the puck alongside NHL regulars like he did at the Penticton tournament!

Comrie seems to have way better rebound control than Hellybuck! (or any other Jet netminder for that matter)

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
interesting thought.
LLW
PSS
BLA
TCE

(4th line would be ECT)

Yeah, Copp is no push-over, either.

Since watching Chevy's interview, where Armia was the first player mentioned for the 3rd line spot, I've been contemplating something like this, too. 4th line seems like a weird spot for Ehlers, but it would shelter him, and provide opportunity to shift upwards during the season. Or maybe Maurice relaxes the role restriction for the 4th line, and we end up with more of a 3a/3b as Copp and Ehlers find their game.

Runforthecup

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay
I must have watched a different game. Time and space, Petin dominated when he was on the ice. He set others up all night, both on the power play and at even strength. Would love to see him get a shot with Ladd and Little in the exhibition season.

Ehlers must have been told to pass the puck. He looked good today.

Armia, Copp, and Lemieux may have to fight it out for the third potential spot.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I must have watched a different game. Time and space, Petin dominated when he was on the ice. He set others up all night, both on the power play and at even strength. Would love to see him get a shot with Ladd and Little in the exhibition season.

Ehlers must have been told to pass the puck. He looked good today.

Armia, Copp, and Lemieux may have to fight it out for the third potential spot.

Copp is a lock at this point for 4th line Center. Chevy pretty much alluded to it in a recent interview that he won't have to fight for it very much. Especially after this tournament too.
My guess is Armia is a lock too as Chevy wants to give him a shot at a top 9 spot he shouldn't have a problem snagging it. That leaves Petan and Ehlers to battle for a wing spot. My guess is Ehlers get's the go ahead in training camp. Petan may get a look for a few games depending on a lot of factors as well though.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
interesting thought.
LLW
PSS
BLA
TCE

(4th line would be ECT)

Yeah, Copp is no push-over, either.

Since watching Chevy's interview, where Armia was the first player mentioned for the 3rd line spot, I've been contemplating something like this, too. 4th line seems like a weird spot for Ehlers, but it would shelter him, and provide opportunity to shift upwards during the season. Or maybe Maurice relaxes the role restriction for the 4th line, and we end up with more of a 3a/3b as Copp and Ehlers find their game.

I like the idea of a 3a / 3b setup. It's a lot better than the 4a / 4b system we had for the first few years.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Copp is a lock at this point for 4th line Center. Chevy pretty much alluded to it in a recent interview that he won't have to fight for it very much. Especially after this tournament too.
My guess is Armia is a lock too as Chevy wants to give him a shot at a top 9 spot he shouldn't have a problem snagging it. That leaves Petan and Ehlers to battle for a wing spot. My guess is Ehlers get's the go ahead in training camp. Petan may get a look for a few games depending on a lot of factors as well though.

If Copp and Armia are locks, then the only wing spot left is on the 4th line. If Ehlers and Petan are fighting for a 4th line role, that's not bad.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Don't get how a guy who played 1 NHL game and another who played, wait for it....1 NHL game are both locks.

I wasn't a big Slater fan but how you replace a guy with 10 years NHL experience with a guy with 1 NHL game is a stretch.

And Armia a top 9 with the Jets already with 1 NHL game to his credit and a mighty 2 goals in 21 games for St. Johns.

What exactly am I missing here.:help:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If Copp and Armia are locks, then the only wing spot left is on the 4th line. If Ehlers and Petan are fighting for a 4th line role, that's not bad.

That really is an awesome problem to have! Just wait until we have Connor, Roslovic, Harkins, Lemieux, De Leo, Olsen, Kraskovsky, Foley and whoever else we end up draft fighting for spots in the next 1-3 years. :yo:
How do you fit any of these guys into forward spots while having to sacrifice another player? It's going to be madness.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
(snip) And Armia a top 9 with the Jets already with 1 NHL game to his credit and a mighty 2 goals in 21 games for St. Johns.

The other part of Armia's season last year with Rochester? He potted 10G 15A for 25P in 33 games for them. St John's was starved for offense in general - it wasn't just Armia. Guess that doesn't fit the narrative though, eh sip? ;)

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Don't get how a guy who played 1 NHL game and another who played, wait for it....1 NHL game are both locks.

I wasn't a big Slater fan but how you replace a guy with 10 years NHL experience with a guy with 1 NHL game is a stretch.

And Armia a top 9 with the Jets already with 1 NHL game to his credit and a mighty 2 goals in 21 games for St. Johns.

The youth movement is happening. Chevy doesn't seem to keen on bringing in anyone else. He said he wants to give Armia a shot at the top 9 and Copp a shot at the 4th line.
Copp destroyed the faceoff circle his entire career and in his one NHL game managed to destroy it again. Faceoff's are the only thing Slater is good for in my opinion even in a limited role the Jets use him for it. If Copp can play even half of the defensive game we have seen from him through his entire career up until now at the NHL level than he's already better than Slater IMO. I say good luck to Slater but I don't think he'll ever have a job as a Jet again. Using this logic we should let everyone stew until they get enough experience to replace our retired vets...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad