Pre-Game Talk: Jets vs Flyers Jan 29 6:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I think your hypothesis is good - but there are other factors in play. I really do believe that MTL is far less likely to get penalized in a close game at home and more likely to get a call to go on a power play than WPG (and 25 other less prestigious teams). The data shows that away teams get 6% more penalties than home teams! but in certain buildings and with certain referees, it's almost twice that amount. Of course, the data doesn't capture non-calls, so maybe we only have half the equation, and the problem is that much worse.

http://www.japersrink.com/2009/11/30/1175841/stripes-and-increased-home-ice

Certain coaches, like Peter Laviolette make a point of screaming at referees after virtually every call or non-call. You'd think this would work against them eventually but maybe not? Laviolette coached teams are almost always in the bottom third of teams that are shorthanded ( this year they are 27th with only 131 times shorthanded vs our 200.) maybe it's a coincidence, but I don't think so.

I don't think there is a league wide conspiracy, and certainly not one against WPG, but we're definitely getting more than our share of calls this year.

Agreed, though I'm less concerned with with home team bias because it should eventually 'even out' (as will most bad calls, over time).

And I think Laviolette's tactic--"playing the ref"--is a pretty established tactic, though I would have imagined it imagine it backfiring as much as working. Maurice is no spring chicken and he seems pretty willing to tell the officials what he thinks of calls on occasion, too.

I just hope that some day soon the referees start getting the memos about how the Jets are a good team that has been plagued with awful goaltending for too long, and those call start evening out.

Then of course, there's the playoff when nothing is called. Can't wait.

Last edited:

Jay Gatsby

no puck luck!
Jul 9, 2013
Wolfsburg, Germany
I've got all my vcash on a jets win. Only a very few times have I been more positive about the outcome of a jets game.

Allthough Giroux and Voracek scare the **** out of me the way they are playing right now.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
everyone should hope that Hutch has a great game.
then it would literally be inexcusable to not start him Sat vs Dallas, which is an incredibly important game

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
If Pavs gets the start I'ma dragon kick a baby. be upset.

As a new father, I don't like that crossed out talk. Happens again and I'm gonna have Harrisson and Pavelec watch your house next time you take a holiday.

So, if the Pittsburgh game is any indication, you can expect to see two big dudes asleep on your lawn and the front door wiiiiide open when you get home.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I've been coaching a young couple to pass the IELTS exam next week and I've been telling them exactly the opposite, seeing as they prattle on for hours about nothing. Check how awesome it can be:

:p:

Turning lots of words into less is never good. Case in point:

Frodo went on a round way trip to Mordor. When he got back home, he had dropped his uncle's ring.
Frodo drops Uncle's ring in Mordorian volcano.
Luke didn't get along with his dad, who had left Luke's mother during pregnancy. But they reconciled in the end.
Luke kills deadbeat dad.
Harry's mother loved him.
Harry wins!

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Which is why I said I'm giving the benefit of the doubt. And it's not about the losses per se. It's how we lose that grinds my gear, many here know this.

It was just down right pitiful at certain points in the game. Wheelers penalty? 2nd lines inability to move the puck out of their zone? 4SOGs/9Shot attempts in the first period? Against a nursing team playing their back up?

Losses happen. Chances like yesterday don't happen very often. People say we have everything going for us to challenge a divisional spot. I'm laughing at that because we continually blow away games and points to team we, quite frankly, should not be.

I feel your pain, especially about the loss to the pens, especially especially in the condition the pens were in. However, on the subject of the bolded, you're just incorrect. While there have been a couple of disappointing results on the road (the last Pens game, and the loss in Phx a few weeks back come to mind) we have the most points on the road of all NHL teams. Only Anaheim has a better winning % than Winnipeg when it comes to road games. Road games in a general sense have not been our problem.
Also, it's kind of disconcerting to hear you say you laugh at those who are optimistic about our chances. Are you a fan or aren't you? Considering all the things the Jets have been through this season, being where they are in the standings is pretty amazing. It's not unreasonable, based on that, to think that home ice at the very least is well within reach.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I've got all my vcash on a jets win. Only a very few times have I been more positive about the outcome of a jets game.

Allthough Giroux and Voracek scare the **** out of me the way they are playing right now.

Giroux/Voracek vs. Harrison is a very scary proposition, as is Harrison on the PK vs. the Flyers' PP.

I wonder when Maurice will finally learn the lesson on Harrison.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I wonder when Maurice will finally learn the lesson on Harrison.

when Stuart comes back from his injury. Take that as you like.

edit:
and then the Twitter and Jets-based gods heard my pleas...

@WFPEdTait 33s33 seconds ago
Mark Stuart with Jacob Trouba at #NHLJets practice this morning #bn

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

edit:

I can't believe I'm cheering for Stuart to get back into the line-up, but there ya go: :handclap:

Some sort of roster decision is going to have to be made if Stuart is coming off IR, no?

peg

Jul 8, 2010
Brian Munz ‏@BrianMunzTSN
Based on @NHLJets pregame skate, Stuart replaces Harrison and will be paired with Trouba. No other changes. Expecting Hutchinson to start

8,500 vCash on the Jets ................................ WHEN there is absolute confirmation that Hutchison is in net.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

edit:

I can't believe I'm cheering for Stuart to get back into the line-up, but there ya go: :handclap:

Some sort of roster decision is going to have to be made if Stuart is coming off IR, no?

Wow. I am happy that Stuart is back in the line-up. That says something.

Has to be a move coming to make the roster limit, I suppose.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
no Galliardi at practice.
so perhaps that's the move.

and i'm thinking about that and really don't like how many d-men we're carrying. unless they expect the D apocalypse to happen again.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

and i'm thinking about that and really don't like how many d-men we're carrying. unless they expect the D apocalypse to happen again.

I think we're over the roster limit with Stuart coming off IR though.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Galiardi goes to IR???

Let the games continue...

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Like hearing that Stu is replacing Harrisson.

What happens next to activate Stu?

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Yea! Stu's in! What is this world coming to? I am cheering for Stu and Thorburn is our hot sniper?:amazed:

White Out 403*

A bounce back win would really do everyones mental health a world of good. I was very displeased and upset with the loss to the Pens, especially when you score 3 on the road and your goaltender gets a rather pedestrian effort against him and he falls apart as he did.

2 missed points that shouldn't have been.

That being said it's not panic time. We have a cushion and tonight it's time to build on that, and realistically games coming up are FAR more important. We can lose tonight but if we go on a 3 game win streak vs Dallas Calgary and Vancouver our playoff chances should be high 90s.

Still, I'm greedy. WIN JETS!

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
everyone should hope that Hutch has a great game.
then it would literally be inexcusable to not start him Sat vs Dallas, which is an incredibly important game

Important yes, but probably no more important than the upcoming back to back games with Calg & Vanc on Mon-Tues & then Thurs @ Chi. Where do you start Pavs.

As bad as his last game was, I think they do go back with him vs Dal because he played so well against them last game. And they have to use him on the b2b so probably vs Vanc. Amounts to the rotation likely staying put for the next few as much as we all hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad