Post-Game Talk: Jets vs. Flames • Fri Sep 12, 6PM • 2014 Young Stars Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Just got in from work. How did everyone look? Any major standouts?

Y'know JC, ever since your name became purple, you've been slacking. Working instead of watching games, your posts are down, etc. Look, this promotion was supposed to ADD responsibility to you, not take it away.

:sarcasm:

Ehlers, Petan, Lowry were impressive. It certainly wasn't a defensive clinic with the final being 6-4.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Y'know JC, ever since your name became purple, you've been slacking. Working instead of watching games, your posts are down, etc. Look, this promotion was supposed to ADD responsibility to you, not take it away.

:sarcasm:

Ehlers, Petan, Lowry were impressive. It certainly wasn't a defensive clinic with the final being 6-4.

Haven't had time to post as much for a couple weeks ago. Only got purple a few days ago so that's no excuse :p:

And that's good to hear. How did Hellofagoalie look? Was he in net all game?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Jets' fans, you've got to be proud of your 9th OA pick this year. His speed is amazing, he was absolutely the best player in that game. He's a gem.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Haven't had time to post as much for a couple weeks ago. Only got purple a few days ago so that's no excuse :p:

And that's good to hear. How did Hellofagoalie look? Was he in net all game?

He was, and he looked very human. It's tough to be a goalie when there are defensive lapses all over the place. He has great positioning, but his lateral movements looked slow to me. It could be his economical body movements, though. Joni Ortio also looked very human out there. Neither team put on a defensive clinic.

Avocado Coolranch

Just a fool
Jul 1, 2012
Vancouver
Boy am I glad blomqvist was signed after last year's impressive young stars tourney. just nice hands for such a huge guy (very antropov-esque). definitely see potential in him. I liked lowry at center, played big. Of course ehlers and petan just ooze talent and skills. I liked Olsen's and Brassard's game as well. Lipon was impressive, just a feisty one. Really liked that line of petan, lipon and de leo. Morrissey imo struggled at times in the defensive zone. Hopefully he does better next game to showcase what he can bring to the table. Kitchton was disappointing, just bad decisions in his own end. Hellebuyck could have had a better game but that defense in front of him sure didn't help him. no invites stood out to me in particular. Nonetheless, nice to watch some hockey again. Excited to watch the next game.

Last edited:

Pokeys

Dec 31, 2009
Peg
Thanks for the link to the replay feed Guardian.

A few of the players that I thought looked goood out there.

Petan, Brouillard, and Ehlers. I thought Brouillard especially played pretty good on D, made some nice outlet passes out of our zone and looked pretty comfortable with the puck. As a whole I thought the team looked pretty explosive out there. Looking forward to the other couple prospect games!

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
He was, and he looked very human. It's tough to be a goalie when there are defensive lapses all over the place. He has great positioning, but his lateral movements looked slow to me. It could be his economical body movements, though. Joni Ortio also looked very human out there. Neither team put on a defensive clinic.

Funnily enough, Paul Maurice agrees with you on that point about evaluating goalies ;)

Results aren't as important in these sorts of tournaments as the performances, and the offence was fine. Defensively, a bit of a mess but it can be forgiven in the first game. We'll see how they do tomorrow.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The one player I was expecting more from was Morrissey. I'm a huge Morrissey and still expect him to crack the Jets lineup this season. But I was hoping to see him establish himself as the team's top d prospect in both ends of the ice.

It also got me thinking if he doesn't make the team how valuable will it be for him to go back to being the offensive catalyst in junior. That part of his game appears to be much more refined than his defensive awareness/coverage game. I guess I'm a little concerned about him going back and being put in a role that benefits his junior team and comes naturally to him, but is not really developing what he needs to add to be a good pro.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Funnily enough, Paul Maurice agrees with you on that point about evaluating goalies ;)

Results aren't as important in these sorts of tournaments as the performances, and the offence was fine. Defensively, a bit of a mess but it can be forgiven in the first game. We'll see how they do tomorrow.

Everyone knows defensive lapses can affect sv% in the micro, but not all agree its effect in the macro... ;)

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Everyone knows defensive lapses can affect sv% in the micro, but not all agree its effect in the macro... ;)

Oh, definitely, just pointing out the irony. I don't think Hellebuyck covered himself in glory, but he had no assistance either. I do think that it's a lesson that people on here can learn from. Not every single goal that goes in the net is strictly the goaltender's fault alone, no matter how bad that goaltender is.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Oh, definitely, just pointing out the irony. I don't think Hellebuyck covered himself in glory, but he had no assistance either. I do think that it's a lesson that people on here can learn from. Not every single goal that goes in the net is strictly the goaltender's fault alone, no matter how bad that goaltender is.

Agreed with all fronts.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

You have to give the tendy a break when there are two opposition forwards right in front of your net and you can count to 3 before any of your D even enters the camera frame :laugh:

Derfel*

Amen to that. He didn't get help, but he didn't always help himself either.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
You have to give the tendy a break when there are two opposition forwards right in front of your net and you can count to 3 before any of your D even enters the camera frame :laugh:

My thinking as well. Was brutal how they were allowed to just camp in front of the net till it went in for that long.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I was impressed with Blomqvist, good hands, quick feet for his size. I think he will play in the NHL in a couple of years. Brouillard made a pretty strong impression. Brassard looked good. I hope he has a bounce back season in St. John's. Lowry was strong, played big, won a lot of FOs. I may have to upgrade my expectations of him. Everybody is dumping on Kichton, he did get burned on their 1st (?) goal but what I had noticed was that when he was on the ice he almost always seemed to have the puck. Talk about possession! So his game was mixed. Showed some good play but made some mistakes. We could say the same for Morrissey. I liked Morrissey's skating. He is sneaky fast, always seemed to have another gear when needed. Helle started OK, maybe needed a little more work early. Went downhill a bit after (I think it was their 2nd) 2 Flames got what, 15 secs in front of him unmolested? It seemed at least that long but was probably only 5. I don't know if that affected him or not. You certainly couldn't fault him on that goal, he stopped 3 or 4 attempts at least. You couldn't fault him on their 3rd either by Gaudreau. That was a beautiful goal. I missed the entire 3rd period. In spite of the result I thought there was a lot to be excited about with the Jets prospects.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
If you're worried about results in tournaments/games like this, you're missing the point. The purpose here is to evaluate individual players. On the whole, most of our good forward prospects looked like good forward prospects, and that is good news.

NBjet

May 24, 2014
I loved Hellie's post game interview though... completely unfazed. He does not play scared and that is awesome! He's going to have a good season in the A.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I loved Hellie's post game interview though... completely unfazed. He does not play scared and that is awesome! He's going to have a good season in the A.

Yeah when I watched the interview I was kind of surprised. You wouldn't think he had let in 5 goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad