GDT: Jets vs Canucks September 13 4:00pm CT - Penticton SOEC

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Nice to see so many are shaking off the summer rust and are working "on the sky is falling" and everyone is **** commentary.

posters have lost perspective as to what this tourney really is.
think it's more of a chance to see how the Harkins and Bloomqvests of the world play versus the Petans, Moz and Ehlers of the world.
this is crappier hockey than the first 2 games of training camp.
just watch to learn a bit about some prospects (like Lemieux and Olsen) and fret nothing else.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
really dissapointed in Ehlers tbh.

disinterested is a bs excuse imo...

baby jets on a whole have been bad... quite suprising...

Have a feeling we are going to get let down by our expectations of Ehlers this season.
Lemieux reminds me of his dad and Petan is always at least average.

Kosmo, well words cant even...

Last edited:

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Nice to see so many are shaking off the summer rust and are working "on the sky is falling" and everyone is **** commentary. It is a long season with lots of ups and downs and you will need to have your game in peak form for the season. How will we be able to keep the likes of Stuart and Thorburn locked in the doghouse if we go into the season unprepared :sarcasm:

I wish Pavelec was playing, not feeling super confident in my goalie bashing after a long summer. But yeah I agree this was a good opportunity to really get the gears moving on feeling overwhelming disappointment and depression.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Have to say, I wasn't very happy with Lemieux this game, after having him as one of my faves last game.
Just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes I guess. Only one game.

...then again, so was the first game!

In regards to these 2 games:

All in all, I'm disappointed that we didnt get to see a glorious thumping of the other teams by the baby Jets, but it really doesn't mean a whole lot. A lot of our best talents are ineligible for the tournament due to ncaa restrictions. In the case of Calgary, the amount of ahl players they have, while not having the ceiling that some of our prospects have, have been playing together under the same coach all of last season. That's gotta count for something. Oh yeah, and we brought an awful d-corps.

When it comes right down to it, I think we have very good reason to think our future is pretty bright. I also think it might be better that we didn't "dig deep and find a way to win." It might have served to mask some of the flaws amongst our weaker prospects.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I think what most of you who are pissed off by the performance the last two games are forgetting that is ultimately a systems and roles games. Nevermind the talent, speed, agility, or stats anything beyond two weeks ago.

The system of the Moose (Ice Caps) & Jets are very similar and many players are adjusting. Moreover, typical roles are being reassigned and modified. This is isn't limited to the Jets as every team pretty well does this so overall it is very choppy hockey that pretty well sucks.

You can bet that the Jets management doesn't care too much about the scores and cares far more about for a particular player performed in a particular role under a particular system.

Different things are being asked of different players and assessments are being made. Morrissey is good example in that he has not been activated nearly as much as he typically would have - they are asking him to focus on different areas. Further evidence is in Olsen and Kosmo, both are familiar with the system that looks to be in place. Olsen is excelling and one of best forwards and Kosmo is struggling and one of the worst. This ultimately looks to separate the wheat from the chaff in terms of guys who can modify, even slightly, their assignments and succeed within the terms of what is being asked of them. This is one of the reasons I like a guy like Karlstrom, his reads and instincts are very good in assessing when and how to activate offensively.

To me, these types of games have a lot less to do with the scores of the games than it does with observing whether a player reads and reacts accordingly within the context of his assigned.

So, in short, calm down people. Despite what some may say, this particular time of year is not all about simply winning the game.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think what most of you who are pissed off by the performance the last two games are forgetting that is ultimately a systems and roles games. Nevermind the talent, speed, agility, or stats anything beyond two weeks ago.

The system of the Moose (Ice Caps) & Jets are very similar and many players are adjusting. Moreover, typical roles are being reassigned and modified. This is isn't limited to the Jets as every team pretty well does this so overall it is very choppy hockey that pretty well sucks.

You can bet that the Jets management doesn't care too much about the scores and cares far more about for a particular player performed in a particular role under a particular system.

Different things are being asked of different players and assessments are being made. Morrissey is good example in that he has not been activated nearly as much as he typically would have - they are asking him to focus on different areas. Further evidence is in Olsen and Kosmo, both are familiar with the system that looks to be in place. Olsen is excelling and one of best forwards and Kosmo is struggling and one of the worst. This ultimately looks to separate the wheat from the chaff in terms of guys who can modify, even slightly, their assignments and succeed within the terms of what is being asked of them. This is one of the reasons I like a guy like Karlstrom, his reads and instincts are very good in assessing when and how to activate offensively.

To me, these types of games have a lot less to do with the scores of the games than it does with observing whether a player reads and reacts accordingly within the context of his assigned.

So, in short, calm down people. Despite what some may say, this particular time of year is not all about simply winning the game.

I think you are completely missing the point. People are not generally unhappy because we lost those 2 games. We all know the final scores don't matter much. They are unhappy because we got smoked. We played badly. Few players did anything well and none lived up to expectations. We have been bad as a team and as individuals.

This tournament is just a PR stunt and a chance to shake off some rust and get the young guys ready for TC. I'm not losing any sleep over it. But it has been disappointing. On to TC.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
No, Mort, I did not miss the point. The whole point is measured expectations for the players individually and the team as a whole.

I could care a less if we got smoked. I am interested in recognizing what is being asked of who, and reading the adjustments accordingly.

It is no shock at all that it is terrible hockey. You combine 10-15 different systems from all the players coming in with modified assignments individually, and put that out a new(er) system with new assignments and responsibilities - it is not a shock that it doesnt look good.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
It's pretty funny, because if Morrisey had scored from that great pass people would praise Ehlers to heaven. But because Morrisey couldn't find the net Ehlers now sucks and he should go to play Halifax once again.

I'm already waiting for that when Ehlers scores today and he is once again superb player :D

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Craig Button said Ehlers looked disintered.

Button said Ehlers looked like he was dug up from the grave? I don't know, he might have been rusty but I wouldn't say he was moldy.

With apologies to Mort for plagiarism.

Last edited:

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

I’m a little disappoints but not surprised. All last year he was working in a situation where he had very little talent around him and his own skill level was high enough that a do everything on his own approach not only worked but was his team’s best chance to win. This is ok for skill development but I seems prone to developing a lot of bad habits that will need to be reined in.

We knew it already, but development wise the Jets couldn’t let him go back to junior he needs a higher level of competition to so he can’t just skate though the other team by himself and must use his team mates more. Even in a lesser role I think playing for the Jets may be his best developmental option.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I saw the ol' 5-man-box a couple of times in last night's game...maybe McCambridge really is Claude Noel 2.0!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No, Mort, I did not miss the point. The whole point is measured expectations for the players individually and the team as a whole.

I could care a less if we got smoked. I am interested in recognizing what is being asked of who, and reading the adjustments accordingly.

It is no shock at all that it is terrible hockey. You combine 10-15 different systems from all the players coming in with modified assignments individually, and put that out a new(er) system with new assignments and responsibilities - it is not a shock that it doesnt look good.

OK, when I said smoked I was not talking about the score. It had nothing to do with systems either. We were losing almost all the individual battles. Our best players did not look good. We got dominated. We got outworked and we got outskilled. The other teams are dealing with exactly the same issues of throwing a bunch of players together. There are no excuses. A few players had a few moments.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Agreed. I'm reminded of Scheifele a couple of years back when he was pretty unnoticeable due to being asked to play all out defensive hockey. I see similar from Morrissey and some other players this year.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I have been holding back thinking about what I have watched unfold over the past few days and maybe todays game will help change my mind about a few things but as it stands right now...

Ehlers - Too many bad junior habits right now and if he wants to stick in the NHL he has to get rid of them. Yes he has all the talent and skill in the world but if he wants to stick he has to stop all fancy **** and keep it simple. Simple for him is go North/South with blazing speed and beat guys to the outside and get pucks towards the net. He is going to get killed either physically or mentally at the NHL level playing that dipsey doodle east/west game.

Right now he isn't ready but he is lucky he has a couple weeks here in preseason to change the coaching and managements staff mind or otherwise he might end up in Europe this season.

Petan - I actually like the development of his game and he really has the defensive side of his game on his mind unlike Ehlers. His faceoff skill is just miles of head of his junior peers and yes we all know he has the offensive ability but I was more curious about his defensive game and he really looks like a guy who understands what it takes to stay in the NHL this year.

If I had to pick between Ehlers and Petan for a spot in the NHL this season I am taking Petan right now.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I still see this as a process (thanks Chevy). This tournament gets everyone ready for training camp which in turn helps players get ready for the preseason and ultimately the regular season. We're pretty much on step one and there's obviously going to be some rust and issues. As these kids get more acclimated we'll see some better play and I think what we're seeing here is normal. It just sucks because you want all of your guys to come out guns blazing and show everyone what they're capable of, it'll come in time.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
OK, when I said smoked I was not talking about the score. It had nothing to do with systems either. We were losing almost all the individual battles. Our best players did not look good. We got dominated. We got outworked and we got outskilled. The other teams are dealing with exactly the same issues of throwing a bunch of players together. There are no excuses. A few players had a few moments.

I agree with everything you are saying and I wanted to see different individual results but I was just listening to one of the guys out of Edmonton on TSN who covers the Oilers and he was saying he felt Ehlers was the best player in this tournament last season so it just reminded me that this is mircro sample size stuff.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

disinterested is a bs excuse imo...

baby jets on a whole have been bad... quite suprising...

Have a feeling we are going to get let down by our expectations of Ehlers this season.
Lemieux reminds me of his dad and Petan is always at least average.

Kosmo, well words cant even...

Everything I'm hearing & seeing suggests that Ehlers is really going to have to pull up his socks at TC or he'll be on his way to wherever (Jr, Switz) & Petan/Armia will be battling it out for that top -9 spot.

My guess is he tried to put on weight in the offseason & from all indications it hasn't had the desired result. May or may not be the reason he has been disappointing in all showings so far this offseason, but he'll need to wake up soon or someone else will fill that position he's been pencilled into.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Everything I'm hearing & seeing suggests that Ehlers is really going to have to pull up his socks at TC or he'll be on his way to wherever (Jr, Switz) & Petan/Armia will be battling it out for that top -9 spot.

My guess is he tried to put on weight in the offseason & from all indications it hasn't had the desired result. May or may not be the reason he has been disappointing in all showings so far this offseason, but he'll need to wake up soon or someone else will fill that position he's been pencilled into.

I know some will try to spin that as a negative, but I don't think that's a bad thing necessarily for him (and us) long term. That's with the caveat that he'd get good coaching from whatever Swiss team he plays with.

If Petan and Armia are more ready, I don't see an issue with Ehlers playing with men in Europe. Another year in the Q though I don't think is ideal, as I think he needs more challenge, and to get away from some of the things that worked in junior because he was much more talented than others.

Last edited:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Ehlers - Too many bad junior habits right now and if he wants to stick in the NHL he has to get rid of them. Yes he has all the talent and skill in the world but if he wants to stick he has to stop all fancy **** and keep it simple. Simple for him is go North/South with blazing speed and beat guys to the outside and get pucks towards the net. He is going to get killed either physically or mentally at the NHL level playing that dipsey doodle east/west game.

So, it sounds like we have a Euro who wants to play his own style, and gets a bit moody when the coach tries to change his game.

Well, there's something we haven't experienced before. :sarcasm:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

His speed has looked fine to me. Its more that he is trying to do it himself and is making too many cute i'll advised plays that are resulting in turnovers and fast breaks the other way that I have issues with. These types of plays will never fly with Maurice so he is going to have to cut them out in a hurry to have a chance of making the team.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I have been holding back thinking about what I have watched unfold over the past few days and maybe todays game will help change my mind about a few things but as it stands right now...

Right now he isn't ready but he is lucky he has a couple weeks here in preseason to change the coaching and managements staff mind or otherwise he might end up in Europe this season.

Petan - I actually like the development of his game and he really has the defensive side of his game on his mind unlike Ehlers. His faceoff skill is just miles of head of his junior peers and yes we all know he has the offensive ability but I was more curious about his defensive game and he really looks like a guy who understands what it takes to stay in the NHL this year.

If I had to pick between Ehlers and Petan for a spot in the NHL this season I am taking Petan right now.

Certainly sounds like Petan has the upper hand on everyone else to make the NHL out of TC given his performances to date at this tourney plus how well he did at last year's TC.

If he continues to perform like he has, continues to look good in the faceoff circle, & continues to look good defensively, I can't see how they wouldn't want to use him either in the top 9 or even as the 4th line C.

As for Ehlers, I have to agree with those who are suggesting he has picked up way too many bad habits from his Jr career. Those will have to be driven out of him before he makes the NHL (can't see him being able to work them out as he plays top 9). If he continues to dipsy-doodle his way through TC, count on him earning a ticket to Europe.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Man, a few of you guys sure are in a rush to make judgement on a bunch of prospects.

Here is the thing; remember when Myers was traded here, a player that was supposedly playing poorly in Buffalo... and then looked good here because he was surrounded by complementary players? Myers looked terrible in Buffalo because he had no help. Similarly, players like Morrissey, Ehlers, Petan, etc will look better when they are playing a structured game with similar talents. The forwards aren't going to look good in a prospect game that features river hockey... and on a team with several D that can't get the puck to them. Conversely, a player like Morrissey tends to play up to his competition; don't be surprised if/when all of a sudden he soon begins to shine against NHL players in camp.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad