GDT: Jets vs Canucks September 13 4:00pm CT - Penticton SOEC

Jetsfan4life

Dec 15, 2013
Usa
Are we counting on these guys to fill spots.Man they could not even beat the other AHL prospects how are they going to compete in the big club.I think it's a mistake that Chevy did not bring in some more players.Watching these 2 games did not give me much confidence in who we have to bring up.I expected us to at least win one of the games.Ehlers does not look ready.I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think people need to take a step back and chill out. We had maybe 4-5 good prospects playing in this tourny the rest were tryout fodder. Wait until TC when some of these higher end guys get a shot to play with a real team before taking to much judgement.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Can someone explain why Olsen played in this tournament, but Armia and Kichton did not? Aren't they all about the same age? Maybe Kichton is still injured?

The players in this tournament are generally restiricted to those who have played less than 100 pro games and are not NHL regular players. 2 years in the AHL or 1 year in the NHL and you don't belong in Penticton. McDavid won't be there next year for example.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Also, last time Kosmachuk and Olsen participated (unless they miss the season due to injury).

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Now that I'm home, I can actually post the numbers:
CO0cMsdVEAAMXNi.jpg

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Sucks that the Jets have lost both games so far but it's really meaningless. These games are to evaluate each organizations young talent and to aid in making determinations where some will play this season(NHL, AHL, ECHL, Junior, who the **** cares) and for those who have been to this before to see if there has been progression in their games.

First you say it's meaningless then you list of bunch of ways in which it means something. It might be of minor importance in the overall view but it's not meaningless at all, except in NHL standings.

Any game in which a player is wearing team colours and management is evaulating anything in his game is not meaningless. There might be a couple of players who have done themselves a favour in Penticton but most of them have not.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
^ good example why Corsi, when comparing players, is only representative over a large sample size. Kosmachuk was not our second best forward. As a whole, it shows pretty well how we sucked.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Here's a better version:
CO1WbE1UYAAADjh.png

So JoMo generates the most chances, no surprise there.
Ehlers has trouble generating chances, but I think that has more to do with him being the only guy gaining the zone most of the time and everyone having to catch up it makes it tough on him. He has to make one or two extra moves for everyone to catch up before he can get a play going.
Copp doesn't generate much but is plenty good at suppressing chances.
I honestly think Copp is a lock for our 4th line C at this point.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Actually, I think Petan played quite well in the physical area. His size wasn't an issue at all.

Ehlers is just another category of player where size really doesn't come into the equation much. He doesn't shy away from traffic.

I think we'll see both of those players look a lot better when they are playing with other good players.

Ehler's seems to get knocked down fairly easily, playing against guys that are as fast as he is with way more size is going to be tough on him for the first couple of years. I actually think Petan was better in traffic and along the boards.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Ehler's seems to get knocked down fairly easily, playing against guys that are as fast as he is with way more size is going to be tough on him for the first couple of years. I actually think Petan was better in traffic and along the boards.

Yep.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

I agree. Size and strength are a big issue with Ehlers. He's not ready to play with men yet, in my opinion. He's got plenty of time to work on it though.

AngelicAssassin*

First you say it's meaningless then you list of bunch of ways in which it means something. It might be of minor importance in the overall view but it's not meaningless at all, except in NHL standings.

Any game in which a player is wearing team colours and management is evaulating anything in his game is not meaningless. There might be a couple of players who have done themselves a favour in Penticton but most of them have not.

It's meaningless from the standpoint of a win or a loss which many here seem to be fretting about.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Actually, I think Petan played quite well in the physical area. His size wasn't an issue at all.

Ehlers is just another category of player where size really doesn't come into the equation much. He doesn't shy away from traffic.

I think we'll see both of those players look a lot better when they are playing with other good players.
Craig Button said Ehlers looked disintered.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's meaningless from the standpoint of a win or a loss which many here seem to be fretting about.

Don't give rat's patoot about the score. I care that we got our heinies handed to us ... twice.

We were never in either one for a minute.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Take a pill people and remember this isn't even rookie TC never mind the regular TC.
More people on these teams will never play an NHL game than will.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Gotta say, Penticton has me feeling kinda :scared: too.

Agree with Mort, the game results don't matter. But it's definitely a concern how poorly we've played. Any excuses we can use apply equally to the other teams. Sure, it's just 2 games. But it was definitely well below my expectation (barring a few individual exceptions).

Lots of time for these guys to up their game for TC. Hope they do.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Nice to see so many are shaking off the summer rust and are working "on the sky is falling" and everyone is **** commentary. It is a long season with lots of ups and downs and you will need to have your game in peak form for the season. How will we be able to keep the likes of Stuart and Thorburn locked in the doghouse if we go into the season unprepared :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad