Proposal: Jet's trade 14th and 28th and a 2nd to the Flyers for 6th

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Don't hate it, also don't mind taking a center who falls at 14 and two RHD with the later picks. More often than not it seems teams hit on the later picks for Dmen

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I definitely think trading up is an option but doubt we get as high as 6. I think moving both our firsts gets us to 9.

Reactions: SCP Guy

None

Feb 22, 2012
5YqMFV5.png

From Dom Luszczyszyn's 2020 article for the Athletic. The value's there for Philly to do it but I don't think they want to go scorched earth rebuild prioritizing draft capital.

Edit: Article also references this article by @garret9 if anyone wants some light reading.

rymr66

Jun 6, 2011
winnipeg
Usually teams only trade up in the draft when there is a player still on the draft board that they absolutely have to have. In this case, I would hold onto our picks.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I would prefer to keep both and try and get Pickering with 28.....Schiefle could be used to dangle in front of Philly of New jersey.

Feeling like going heavy on picks and prospects.

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
What on earth is the deal with jets fans consistently hoping that the jets have the least amount of picks in every draft? The jets have five picks in '19, four in '20, and 4 in '21 and now they're finally up to a standard 7 picks and multiple people on these boards are hoping to package multiple picks for a five-ten pick and a player still a few years away....:rolleyes: How about it's probably time to restock the cupboard and keep some picks....

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'm interested in Ryan Chesley with the 2nd first round pick. Mc Kenzie has him at 18, Button doesn't even have him in the 1st round. He's all over the place, but another Minnesota guy, RHD, who has played at the USHL level with Lucius, seems like a good fit.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Ehhh I'd probably draft for quantity. The righties might be 2 years away from being top 4, and by then we're retooling anyways and could use 3 good prospects.

14 alone could get us a better player with how seemingly all over the place some guys are ranked.

Jets need to have a few drafts where we draft a good amount of prospects.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Teams rarely trade out of the top 10 these days. I am going to guess this is a no from the other side.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Be careful what you wish for- last time the Jets had 2 first round picks and made a trade with the Flyers to move up in the 1st round it was in 2016 when they traded up with Flyers to draft Stanley.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Trade up for 2 with New Jersey and take Slafkovsky.

Our two firsts + Stanley?
I'd prefer they draft in bulk as the cupboard is a little bare at the moment. Not sure if NJ trades that pick away for more picks but intriguing none the less.

I can't recall the last time a number two was traded other than when the Islanders traded their second. That was in the Yashin deal.

At the time Yashin was a top five scorer and the deal was #2 (Spezza), Chara and Bill Muckalt. At the time Chara was a solid top four guy. So in this case the ask might be Scheifele. But I would toss Stanley in just to move him out for Samberg/Heinola.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I enjoy hoarding depth so they can play up to five minutes a night on the fourth line. Quantity over quality every time
We don't HAVE depth. We had ONE player who didn't play in the top 6 consistently last season who managed to get over 20 points, and that was Lowry with a staggering 21 points in 79 games. Harkins was our highest pacing bottom 6 forward in P/60, and he was 341th in the league among forwards with more than 500 minutes played.

The last time we had depth in our cupboards was pre 2018.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Usually teams only trade up in the draft when there is a player still on the draft board that they absolutely have to have. In this case, I would hold onto our picks.

For me we absolutely have to have a RHD with top pair potential for the next core. So if we could move up to grab Jiricek/Nemec I would do that. If we can't get him or Nemec than I agree, hold onto our picks because there are lots of guys to like late in the 1st.

For example we could grab Geekie at 14 then at 29-32 I'd really want a RHD there and then again with St. Louis' pick in the 2nd round but if they want to go for for the Russian if he's still sliding in Miroshnichenko I'd be on board with the 2nd first. Or if they really like Jagger Firkus or David Goyette or Gleb Trikozov I'd be ecstatic with those picks too. Maybe we decide to grab Jordan Dumais in the late first.

But ending up with a pair of Rinzel, Luneau, Salomonsson, Chesley at 29-32 and 56 would really set up the back end for the next core really well.

I think we have lots of options and standing pat should net us 3 really good players. I wouldn't defer the pick until next year, I'd take it now.

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
We don't HAVE depth. We had ONE player who didn't play in the top 6 consistently last season who managed to get over 20 points, and that was Lowry with a staggering 21 points in 79 games. Harkins was our highest pacing bottom 6 forward in P/60, and he was 341th in the league among forwards with more than 500 minutes played.

The last time we had depth in our cupboards was pre 2018.
We don't have depth. Agreed.

I've started to see the light on the Chevy criticism more in the last couple weeks. It was easy to give him a pass in 2019 when the exodus of D men occurred because of Buff leaving the org without notice. But that's too simplistic. Regardless of Buff's departure, how did we have so little in the system to replace the outgoing d-men? It's similar with the forwards as you noted above. Our depth has dwindled considerably since 2018 through a series of missteps.

Lots of the Jets' drafting flaws have been glossed over because we can point to their high-end hit rate on first round picks (which, to give credit, has given the org tremendous value) and some solid mid-round picks. But compared to teams like Tampa and Toronto, we really have not been a top tier drafting team. Tampa and Toronto take lots of chances on talented players and stockpile picks even while being active at trade deadlines and in the middle of deeply competitive windows. Part of this may be due to higher scouting budgets, but some of it is stuff we could easily be doing.

I say keep the picks, and use them wisely. Or if you must trade them, trade down for more picks. The Jets need both quantity and quality at this stage if they want to have the sustained success they so often talk about. There is lots of room for improvement with this management team, even if they have done relatively well in a tough market.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
We don't have depth. Agreed.

I've started to see the light on the Chevy criticism more in the last couple weeks. It was easy to give him a pass in 2019 when the exodus of D men occurred because of Buff leaving the org without notice. But that's too simplistic. Regardless of Buff's departure, how did we have so little in the system to replace the outgoing d-men? It's similar with the forwards as you noted above. Our depth has dwindled considerably since 2018 through a series of missteps.

Lots of the Jets' drafting flaws have been glossed over because we can point to their high-end hit rate on first round picks (which, to give credit, has given the org tremendous value) and some solid mid-round picks. But compared to teams like Tampa and Toronto, we really have not been a top tier drafting team. Tampa and Toronto take lots of chances on talented players and stockpile picks even while being active at trade deadlines and in the middle of deeply competitive windows. Part of this may be due to higher scouting budgets, but some of it is stuff we could easily be doing.

I say keep the picks, and use them wisely. Or if you must trade them, trade down for more picks. The Jets need both quantity and quality at this stage if they want to have the sustained success they so often talk about. There is lots of room for improvement with this management team, even if they have done relatively well in a tough market.
the only thing chevy should get a pass in 2019 is buff. chiarot, myers were UFA, there was a high chance they wouldn't be retained. none of these are surprises, it's on him to either find adequate replacements either via trade/ufa or prospects. trouba everyone knew he would not be here after a trade request, a contract impasse where he sat 1/4 of a year, and then going through arb. our drafting of dmen has been really poor. and yes our drafting is usually good in the 1st thanks to this teams history of high 1st rd picks, the 2nd their abysmal and after that they range from below average to average. IMO id try dangling a 2nd, or a 3rd rd pick(s) for some help on the roster today as we still have Helle under contract for 2 years. a player that can score 15-20 goals/roughly 40 pts in a NHL bottom-6 role for the short term would be more useful than like a 10-15% chance of getting a strong NHL Contributor like 4-5 years from now.

id consider trading back with 14th OA. all depends on who is left on the board of course. the prospect tiers tend to flatten in the mid 1st (and even more later on), i dont know if much seperates the players ranked from lets say 12-18, but i have not done a lot research or watching of this year's draft so might not have a qualified opinion. there always tends to be a faller of a high ranked player, so perhaps we stay put and draft that guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trade value chart says 14 + 30 is pretty darn close to value of 6 overall. Adding the 2nd rounder is a mild overpay, IMO.

Plus, Jets need more prospects in their prospect pool. Not less.

I say keep the picks.

The reason to need more picks is to throw more darts at the dartboard. Jets don't need a LOT of players. They need a very few really good players. The biggest roster weakness is 1RD.

Of course, you could argue that by the time that drafted 1RD is ready to be a difference maker, the needs will have changed.

Reactions: Andy6 and ps241

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad