• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah. Lots of fresh new car smell.

He's coming off a .920 in the USHL.
Comrie is coming off a .916 in the AHL.

By my estimation, Comrie is unlikely to lose the starting gig.
Of course they don't hand him a starters job but I see something like 42 games for Comrie, 32-34 for Berdin.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I’ve never thought of Comrie as a great prospect and couldn’t see what management saw in him. But I’m certainly no expert on goalies.
Truth is, he hasn’t done anything to change my mind yet so I’m going with Bredin because he still has time to prove himself and I love his confidence.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I’ve never thought of Comrie as a great prospect and couldn’t see what management saw in him. But I’m certainly no expert on goalies.
Truth is, he hasn’t done anything to change my mind yet so I’m going with Bredin because he still has time to prove himself and I love his confidence.
Correct. And I'm not proclaiming Berdin makes the NHL either, but I see him getting to Comrie level at the very least in the next few years, but with potential for more.

Reactions: Mud Turtle

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah. Lots of fresh new car smell.

He's coming off a .920 in the USHL.
Comrie is coming off a .916 in the AHL.

By my estimation, Comrie is unlikely to lose the starting gig.

:laugh: We're talking apples and oranges. You are talking about how they are perceived by TNSE. I'm talking about rating them on HFBoards.

IMO Berdin should spend this year in the ECHL, never mind taking the starting job from Comrie in the AHL. Apparently TNSE expects him to play for the Moose but that is another story. That is entirely different from rating him as a prospect.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
:laugh: We're talking apples and oranges. You are talking about how they are perceived by TNSE. I'm talking about rating them on HFBoards.

IMO Berdin should spend this year in the ECHL, never mind taking the starting job from Comrie in the AHL. Apparently TNSE expects him to play for the Moose but that is another story. That is entirely different from rating him as a prospect.

I only send him to the ECHL if he proves overmatched for the AHL. He doesn't strike me as a player whose self-confidence will be shattered if he does poorly. :laugh:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Ya when he's on he looks good. He's just wildly inconsistent. His mental part of the game needs improvement. He's not a write off but needs consistency. He still plays too deep in his net.,
I've been saying it since his junior years. Best athlete among Jets goalies, but he relies too much on reflexes - which won't work at his size.

It's funny to me, because a people said I was out to lunch. Industry people lauded him as a tactician.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I only send him to the ECHL if he proves overmatched for the AHL. He doesn't strike me as a player whose self-confidence will be shattered if he does poorly. :laugh:

That has nothing to do with my reason for sending him there. That way Comrie can get the lions share of the Moose games and Berdin can start in the ECHL. It is about getting them both as much development as possible.

For Berdin it is a clear step above the opposition he is used to. So it accomplishes the purpose of pushing him to develop and gives him lots of work.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
That has nothing to do with my reason for sending him there. That way Comrie can get the lions share of the Moose games and Berdin can start in the ECHL. It is about getting them both as much development as possible.

For Berdin it is a clear step above the opposition he is used to. So it accomplishes the purpose of pushing him to develop and gives him lots of work.

Perhaps premature, but I've given up on Comrie. I wouldn't gift him the lion's share. I want to see these two fighting for the starter's job on the Moose. That might actually make both of them better.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Perhaps premature, but I've given up on Comrie. I wouldn't gift him the lion's share. I want to see these two fighting for the starter's job on the Moose. That might actually make both of them better.

I think it is premature to give up on Comrie. I never was as high on him as some here but I don't think you give up on players that quickly. He actually had a pretty good season with the Moose. He looked really bad in 3 games with the Jets. I'm not going to judge him solely on a 3 game sample. And all that goes double for goalies.

I'm pretty hopeful about Berdin but I would be surprised if he is ready to give Comrie a run for his money in the A. Comrie has 3 full years pro experience. That is a big advantage.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I think it is premature to give up on Comrie. I never was as high on him as some here but I don't think you give up on players that quickly. He actually had a pretty good season with the Moose. He looked really bad in 3 games with the Jets. I'm not going to judge him solely on a 3 game sample. And all that goes double for goalies.

I'm pretty hopeful about Berdin but I would be surprised if he is ready to give Comrie a run for his money in the A. Comrie has 3 full years pro experience. That is a big advantage.

I'm not judging him on his 3 NHL games. I'm judging him on how often he has a crappy game with the Moose. If he's progressing, it's at glacial speed. The Jets have wasted enough time on this guy. Let's see what we've got in Berdin.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not judging him on his 3 NHL games. I'm judging him on how often he has a crappy game with the Moose. If he's progressing, it's at glacial speed. The Jets have wasted enough time on this guy. Let's see what we've got in Berdin.

He progressed from .906 with the Moose in '17 to .916 with the Moose in '18. That is not glacial speed. In fact it is a very large improvement. The question is, will he match ir exceed that in '19 or will he backslide?

He's only just turned 23 a few days ago so he is on a decent pace for his age - for a goalie. He has demonstrated that he can be a good starter in the AHL. Now we need to see if he can translate that to the NHL, as either starter or backup. He needs to have a big season this year.

Meanwhile, what we have in Berdin is a young guy just out of jr who has shown promise - like Comrie did in jr. He has yet to play a single pro game. Even if he transitions smoothly and successfully to pro hockey he is a long way away from the NHL.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
He progressed from .906 with the Moose in '17 to .916 with the Moose in '18. That is not glacial speed. In fact it is a very large improvement. The question is, will he match ir exceed that in '19 or will he backslide?

He's only just turned 23 a few days ago so he is on a decent pace for his age - for a goalie. He has demonstrated that he can be a good starter in the AHL. Now we need to see if he can translate that to the NHL, as either starter or backup. He needs to have a big season this year.

Meanwhile, what we have in Berdin is a young guy just out of jr who has shown promise - like Comrie did in jr. He has yet to play a single pro game. Even if he transitions smoothly and successfully to pro hockey he is a long way away from the NHL.

OK, he went up a few points in sv%. Maybe that's improved play from the team in front of him, maybe just better puck luck. His sv% still paled in comparison to Hutch's. And I have to think there's a demoralizing effect on the rest of the team every time he let's in a weak goal, even though they tend to get lost when discussing averages like GAA and sv%. I can't see how a team would feel confident with Comrie in net.

Yeah, Berdin is a long way from the NHL and Comrie is further along in his development. But if I'm running a full marathon, and there's a guy with one leg running a half marathon, I still like my chances of getting over the finish line before him. ;)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
OK, he went up a few points in sv%. Maybe that's improved play from the team in front of him, maybe just better puck luck. His sv% still paled in comparison to Hutch's. And I have to think there's a demoralizing effect on the rest of the team every time he let's in a weak goal, even though they tend to get lost when discussing averages like GAA and sv%. I can't see how a team would feel confident with Comrie in net.

Yeah, Berdin is a long way from the NHL and Comrie is further along in his development. But if I'm running a full marathon, and there's a guy with one leg running a half marathon, I still like my chances of getting over the finish line before him. ;)

Hutch was really outstanding last year. But we aren't talking about Hutch. Comrie was good relative to the rest of the AHL. The improvement in his sv% was substantial. I never discuss GAA in relation to goalies. :laugh: It is a team stat and only reflects on goalies in that they are part of the team.

Right now I rate Berdin as the better prospect, by a small margin. But stages of development say that Comrie starts in the AHL, Berdin starts in the ECHL, like plenty of other goalies have done.

If he can actually take the starting job away from Comrie, that's a different story. But he hasn't done that yet.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Hutch was really outstanding last year. But we aren't talking about Hutch. Comrie was good relative to the rest of the AHL. The improvement in his sv% was substantial. I never discuss GAA in relation to goalies. :laugh: It is a team stat and only reflects on goalies in that they are part of the team.

Right now I rate Berdin as the better prospect, by a small margin. But stages of development say that Comrie starts in the AHL, Berdin starts in the ECHL, like plenty of other goalies have done.

If he can actually take the starting job away from Comrie, that's a different story. But he hasn't done that yet.

Well, I think we've both presented our arguments, and it's time to let the arbitrator make a decision. :)

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Berdin looked as poor as I’ve ever seen in the young stars games. He’s like an antithesis to Helle’s and Brossoit’s calm positional play - he was constantly completely out of position and flopping around. He couldn’t catch any deflections because he was never where he should have been. Sure it was only two games but if his positioning is that off I don’t have any hopes whatsoever for him. Comrie (and pretty much anyone else) is a better prospect.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Berdin looked as poor as I’ve ever seen in the young stars games. He’s like an antithesis to Helle’s and Brossoit’s calm positional play - he was constantly completely out of position and flopping around. He couldn’t catch any deflections because he was never where he should have been. Sure it was only two games but if his positioning is that off I don’t have any hopes whatsoever for him. Comrie (and pretty much anyone else) is a better prospect.

You should try listening to a Mo interview.

He specifically mentions part of the reason he's not at penticton is because he doesn't want to take anything away from it.

Maybe you should do the same?

Or keep up with the hot takes of 2 years in the USHL is dwarfed by two prospect camp games.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
You should try listening to a Mo interview.

He specifically mentions part of the reason he's not at penticton is because he doesn't want to take anything away from it.

Maybe you should do the same?

Or keep up with the hot takes of 2 years in the USHL is dwarfed by two prospect camp games.

It’s not about the goals he let it. It’s about his style, he’s ill positioned and flops around.

What do you mean he’s not at Pentincton because someone doesn’t want to take what away from him? Edit: Oh you were talking about PoMo, not Berdin.

Last edited:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It’s not about the goals he let it. It’s about his style, he’s ill positioned and flops around.

What do you mean he’s not at Pentincton because someone doesn’t want to take what away from him?

Many goalies are mobile. Many goalies are successful with a mobile style. Many are not. Proclaiming one isn't after two pre-pre-season games? :rolleyes:.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Many goalies are mobile. Many goalies are successful with a mobile style. Many are not. Proclaiming one isn't after two pre-pre-season games? :rolleyes:.
I get the issue about judging after a couple of exhibition games, but he was totally chaotic. Are we supposed to think that normally he plays a stable style with better posture and discipline, and he just went squirrelly for two games? I hope that's the case, but I'm concerned that he played his style, and it was exposed by better talent than he faced in the USHL.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I get the issue about judging after a couple of exhibition games, but he was totally chaotic. Are we supposed to think that normally he plays a stable style with better posture and discipline, and he just went squirrelly for two games? I hope that's the case, but I'm concerned that he played his style, and it was exposed by better talent than he faced in the USHL.

Flaherty got to him in the off season. It's the only plausible explanation. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad