Jets Top Prospects Poll: #10 Prospect

Who is the Jets #10 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
From your experience Puck is there something in Berdin that gives you confidence he keeps progressing?
It's something about his confidence and athletic ability, he really reminds me of a young Vasilevsky. I feel that the holes in his game can be improved with some coaches at the higher level, I think he has all the tools but needs to keep improving and at a young age and moving up a league I think he will. His skill set is quite impressive. Him and Comrie actually are similar in some parts of their game (minus the size) but I see more confidence in Berdin, even one simple thing like playing higher in the crease for example. They both move well so why does one play deeper in his crease when he's smaller and need to cut angles? That's confidence, and Comrie needs to do that as he's a smaller goalie but he doesn't like he should, Berdin does.
I feel that Comrie's development has plateaued, the areas I thought he would improve at I haven't seen from him. I think Berdin at a younger age has more potential and I like the abilities I see from him, he stops pucks. And with some coaching will only get more consistent.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It's something about his confidence and athletic ability, he really reminds me of a young Vasilevsky. I feel that the holes in his game can be improved with some coaches at the higher level, I think he has all the tools but needs to keep improving and at a young age and moving up a league I think he will. His skill set is quite impressive. Him and Comrie actually are similar in some parts of their game (minus the size) but I see more confidence in Berdin, even one simple thing like playing higher in the crease for example. They both move well so why does one play deeper in his crease when he's smaller and need to cut angles? That's confidence, and Comrie needs to do that as he's a smaller goalie but he doesn't like he should, Berdin does.
I feel that Comrie's development has plateaued, the areas I thought he would improve at I haven't seen from him. I think Berdin at a younger age has more potential and I like the abilities I see from him, he stops pucks. And with some coaching will only get more consistent.
Interesting point about Berdin playing further out with more confidence despite being the bigger goalie. It has always struck me how small Comrie looks in the net.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Interesting point about Berdin playing further out with more confidence despite being the bigger goalie. It has always struck me how small Comrie looks in the net.
Small goalies can succeed, see Aaron Dell, but they need to play on top of their crease. They will look big if they challenge. Comrie plays too deep for his size and there is no reason for that as he moves well enough to be aggressive. But his lack of confidence in his control when he moves forces him to sit back. He over commits far too often and thus recovery suffers.

Reactions: KingBogo

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Desperately want Berdin to succeed since I'm convinced Comrie will not ever become a NHL caliber goalie, but Berdin has only been in the USHL, and I have never seen any games he has played. Goalies are voodoo. I went with Kovacevic to be safe.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Small goalies can succeed, see Aaron Dell, but they need to play on top of their crease. They will look big if they challenge. Comrie plays too deep for his size and there is no reason for that as he moves well enough to be aggressive. But his lack of confidence in his control when he moves forces him to sit back. He over commits far too often and thus recovery suffers.
Thanks Puck. You should post more often in what you observe with our goalie prospects. I always find observations on goalies interesting as I don't have the same frame of reference on what to look for as I do with skaters.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Thanks Puck. You should post more often in what you observe with our goalie prospects. I always find observations on goalies interesting as I don't have the same frame of reference on what to look for as I do with skaters.
I'm not an expert. Ive been right, Ive been wrong. I can be biased. But I do enjoy trying to watch as much of our goalies as I can, life gets busy and my viewings get more limited but I always enjoy it!

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Desperately want Berdin to succeed since I'm convinced Comrie will not ever become a NHL caliber goalie, but Berdin has only been in the USHL, and I have never seen any games he has played. Goalies are voodoo. I went with Kovacevic to be safe.
Put it this way, Appleton was only a USHL forward with 40 points four years ago.
Its a good league.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
And your opinion is a guess. Comrie's numbers aren't glowing so not sure why you are so sure he's better.
You saying no real reason is a bold statement too. It's simply your opinion vs mine, neither is a certainty but you sound like you think it's a certainty, why is that so? Berdin has great numbers too, people discount USHL, its a good league. I'm watching both goalies and I see more potential in Berdin. His numbers don't say he'll go south, if anything he'll match what Comrie already is. He may not pan out but he sure is promising IMO.
I didn't claim anything with certainty, I just stated that Berdin passing Comrie is a maybe - which is true.

Both were high end before the AHL. Olkinuara was too as are a pile that flame out every year.

To be clear, I don't see Comrie as a likely NHL goalie. I downgraded him a couple years back, but they are all longshots until they do it in the AHL. Even then, they are a maybe.

There are very few exceptions.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Berdin's career stats:
upload_2018-7-19_21-20-9.png

Comrie's career stats as a comparison:
upload_2018-7-19_21-21-55.png

I've seen only a bit of Berdin, but he's definitely... adventurous. He can get some serious zip on his passes, and has demonstrated some decent vision:

I feel like I've seen what Comrie can give, and it doesn't excite me much. Maybe that's not a great or deep analysis, and he's had some good years, but he's also had some real stinkers.

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-19_21-2-42.png
    upload_2018-7-19_21-2-42.png
    100.1 KB · Views: 2

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I need some fans of Jonathan Kovacevic to convince me to vote for him. Isn't he a late bloomer? Aren't we supposed to dislike late bloomers?

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Comrie makes himself look so small in the net. He is like a cat coiled to pounce. Not a pretty site most nights. If he doesn't have great offseason he is toast. I can't vote for him based on that uncertainty.

Fishy

May 14, 2016
Winterpeg
I've seen only a bit of Berdin, but he's definitely... adventurous. He can get some serious zip on his passes, and has demonstrated some decent vision:

I voted for him, but I don't want to see him ever try that for the Jets...at least until he has a few years under his belt :naughty:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
As of this posting, Berdin has surged into a tie with Comrie. That in a nutshell is the problem with Comrie. He just can't hold on to a lead. :laugh:

Reactions: jetsforever

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I don't know Puck, I think Comrie when he is on is fantastic. He reads and tracks well and has great rebound control and positioning. Comrie's main issue is that he has a hard time getting out of ruts. If he can improve his mental game he could quickly take a step forward. He was well on his way last season but the NHL games derailed him.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Berdin's career stats:
View attachment 130959

Comrie's career stats as a comparison:
View attachment 130961

I feel like I've seen what Comrie can give, and it doesn't excite me much. Maybe that's not a great or deep analysis, and he's had some good years, but he's also had some real stinkers.

Those stats don't have a column for Berdin's goal :rant: :laugh:

As for Comrie, I still have hope but this is the last year I'm giving him to show he's good

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There is no real reason to expect Berdin to overtake Comrie. I suspect that such projection are more about hope.

I think that is what I said. Hope for Berdin is unblemished by disappointing performances in the AHL and NHL. That may change. I hope not, of course. But for now he is still shiny, like a new car.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I realize Comrie is nobody’s pet prospect any longer, but the fact that he’s a decent AHL goalie and still has a reasonable chance of becoming an NHL backup is nothing to scoff at.

Goalie outcomes are so hit and miss, and Comrie hasn’t missed (yet). I know everyone is hyped about Berdin, but we have no clue if he’s even a decent ECHL goalie at this point.

True. But he still might be a good NHL starter too. Berdin that is. We have nothing against him so far. We have already adjusted our projected ceiling for Comrie to hoping he becomes a decent backup.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I think that is what I said. Hope for Berdin is unblemished by disappointing performances in the AHL and NHL. That may change. I hope not, of course. But for now he is still shiny, like a new car.
Yeah. Lots of fresh new car smell.

He's coming off a .920 in the USHL.
Comrie is coming off a .916 in the AHL.

By my estimation, Comrie is unlikely to lose the starting gig.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't know Puck, I think Comrie when he is on is fantastic. He reads and tracks well and has great rebound control and positioning. Comrie's main issue is that he has a hard time getting out of ruts. If he can improve his mental game he could quickly take a step forward. He was well on his way last season but the NHL games derailed him.
Ya when he's on he looks good. He's just wildly inconsistent. His mental part of the game needs improvement. He's not a write off but needs consistency. He still plays too deep in his net.,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->