News Article: Jets sign Logan Shaw to one-year, two-way contract

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Is he a feasible 4th liner for the big club? Roslovic hasn't even played 10 minutes in his two November games combined. Rather him keep developing his game with and without the puck, on special teams too with the Moose so he's ready and conditioned when we really need him to work into the top 9/top 6 than the role he's playing now. IMO this crap will limit his ceiling.
Remember when Ehlers spent time on the fourth line with Thorburn? Young guys will get shuffled around the lineup, including spending stretches on the fourth line. How Roslovic starts the year has almost no bearing on where he'll end the year, nevermind how he'll develop years from now as a player. They must think he benefits more from playing and practicing in the NHL these days.

Reactions: libertarian

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't think I read a single thing about Logan Shaw in this thread.

Well done.

Saw him a bit with the Habs last year. Good skater, pretty decent PKer at the NHL level. Not much offense or finish though. If there is a hole in the Moose lineup, it's Lipon playing the 2nd line, D'Aoust the 3rd, and Ryan White the 4th at RW. Since White is on a PTO, I think he is the guy who gets moved out.

Shaw may play a few games with the Jets, he may not.

If the Jets are looking for more defensive depth, with Kulikov out, might be a move ahead of a move.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Must be for the Moose...

I'm not sure I see the point of this. The Moose already have comparable vets like him in White, Everberg and McGinn. By my count the Moose have 12-14 players who could be playing in the top 9 in the AHL. This scarcity of ice time isn't exactly good for the young Jets prospects.

All that said Shaw is a good player at the AHL level and when you have Girard, Everberg, and McGinn only brining a combined 6 points in 35 games then maybe a shake up with the vets is needed.

I tend to agree with this but maybe the Jets thought they needed more veteran players to help the Moose succeed. If our young good players are in the mix for a Calder trophy will only help them be good Jets players in the future when the Jets are going for the Stanley Cup.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Is he a feasible 4th liner for the big club? Roslovic hasn't even played 10 minutes in his two November games combined. Rather him keep developing his game with and without the puck, on special teams too with the Moose so he's ready and conditioned when we really need him to work into the top 9/top 6 than the role he's playing now. IMO this crap will limit his ceiling.

Disagree with this. Roslo have done his time in the AHL and was really good. Roslso needs to play against the best players in the world to move his game to another level. He need to play against NHL calibre players to move on and be the player he can be. His ice time will increase as the season moves on. Maurice want a 4th line that can give 10+ minutes that he can trust defensively and will produce over time.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Maybe I'm reading too much into this signing but it seems to express little confidence by the Jets that any of the current Moose forwards are suited for the NHL at this time.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Maybe I'm reading too much into this signing but it seems to express little confidence by the Jets that any of the current Moose forwards are suited for the NHL at this time.

I think they want to ensure that they get some bigger minutes with the Moose instead of coming up and down and not playing that much. You know what Shaw will bring and he can come up and sit in the press box from time to time.

I think it shows more confidence in this group of 12 that are up than anything else. Shaw isn't going to steal a job with the Jets.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think they like his size and experience.

If we lose a guy like Tanev, he is a pretty natural replacement. He has NHL experience killing penalties, something that Suess and Appleton don't. That said I think we have Connor who is getting his feet wet, and Roslovic as options on the big club first.

Reactions: jetsforever

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Ducks fan here chiming in ...

Shaw was a whipping boy in Anaheim, but I'd say it was undeserved for the most part. For a guy making league minimum, he did what you could expect (basically skating a regular shift without being a liability). Imo, Shaw's career suffers because of the narrative that keeps pushing speed and skill in the NHL. I think GM's just look at his size and point production and assume he's some slow, hulking energy winger.

But he's more of a defensive forward than a grinder, as he's not overly physical or aggressive. He does have decent wheels however. Not Blake Wheeler type of wheels, but still good wheels and overall skating ability for a big guy. While he's not overly skilled, he's alright defensively and has the strenght to win puck battles. So while NHL teams puts a premium on skill currently, Shaw is a better/more useful NHL player than the likes of Marko Dano who we are seeing fill out team's rosters today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad