Confirmed with Link: Jets Sign Juho Olkinuora

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yes 50 contract spots, but you basically need 4 of those for goalies correct? Dekanich has a two-way. So does Carozzi. It's also nice to have one or two in the college system, so you don't have to give them a contract right away.

So? So does Pasquale. I'd be surprised if Dekanich or Carozzi are back in Winnipeg system next year.

You also don't have to sign WHL/OHL/QMJHL goalies right away...

Ideally, IMO, you have 5 goalies in your system. Many top NHL goalies started in ECHL...

NHL Starter
NHL Backup
AHL Starter (Veteran/Top Prospect)
AHL Backup (Prospect 2nd/3rd year pro)
ECHL Starter (1st/2nd year pro down in ECHL for lots of minutes)

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Hopefully they can add one more.

Need goalie prospects with upside. Carozzi is done and Dex is and AHLer, I'd rather see the goalie roster spots filled by prospects than career AHLers. I wonder how much more time they will give Pasquale in the A before they give him a shot as a backup in tue bigs?

HalbertGil*

Apparently he has potential to be a decent backup, an ECHL/AHL goalie, and one day taking over for Pavalec.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Why don't some of you think the Jets will retain Montoya? He's been a pretty decent backup compared to Mason last year.

Would rather see Pav's / Montoya with Pasquale / *Someone* in the rock. Pasquale isn't consistent enough for the big times.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Why don't some of you think the Jets will retain Montoya? He's been a pretty decent backup compared to Mason last year.

Would rather see Pav's / Montoya with Pasquale / *Someone* in the rock. Pasquale isn't consistent enough for the big times.

Don't think anyone is suggesting Pasquale in Winnipeg.

I want the Jets to go out and sign somebody who can push Pavelec, potentially even take away his starting role if he continue to be mediocre like he has the past two years. Pavelec needs to get better, and right now he is not doing that with career backups. There's two very intriguing goalies that are UFA's this year in Boston's Anton Khudobin and San Jose's Tomas Greiss. Both have been great backup netminders that deserve a chance at taking a #1 spot. I'd try to sign one of them. Montoya is a below average backup, Jets need a 1B goalie that can push for 1A.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
For fantasy league purposes, I started watching occasional DU games to follow Florida Panthers' prospect Sam Brittain. During the summer of 2011, Brittain got hurt at Canada's WJC evaluation camp and missed six months. Olkinuora made the team initially as a warm body backup but quickly took over as the #1. When Brittain came back, he eventually regained the #1 spot. This year though, Olkinuora was much more effective.

I really liked Brittain as well. I forget which WCHA coach said it, but his comment was something along the lines of "Sam Brittain might be the best goalie in the country and Olkinuora's relegating him to the bench."

Olkinuora has decent size and is pretty economical in his movement. Tough to tell with goalies though. I liked Pat Nagle who was an undrafted free agent that signed with Tampa a couple years ago. But he's been mostly an ECHL goalie since.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
dojussime Now that it's official; Thank you Denver fans, staff, coaches & especially all of my teammates! Very excited to join the Jets organization!

cool

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad