Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Dylan Samberg to a two-year, $1.4M AAV contract

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think it's a combinatin of what everyone is saying about Samberg and Chevy making sure what he's got.
Let's not forget it wasn't that long ago that people on here were complaining about him not being able to stay away from injuries.

If Samberg didn't want to sign long term and I'm Chevy, I actually would have offered him more on a one year deal. 1 x 1.8m or something.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Concern is that he will be 1 year from UFA with arbitration rights when this contract expires so the Jets will have less leverage when negotiating his next hopefully long term deal and he can write his ticket to UFA if he wants.

I have seen enough from him that I was comfortable offering a long-term deal at a significantly higher caphit. Yes, he was sheltered at times and his numbers could be a product of that but my eyetest combined with his numbers is enough to convince me that he is the real deal.

That said Samberg isn't a high maintainence guy and is similar to Buff in that way so he could be happy signing long term with the Jets even with the UFA option close if he likes his role and pay here. But he'd be a lot more expensive. Wish we could have signed him for atleast 6 seasons and bet on him eventually outproducing his contract. This is the type of guy you sign a Scott Mayfield style contract for 6-7 seasons at 3.3 million and reap benefits when he outproduces his contract 2 years from now esp with the cap going up.

Agree - but I think it would have taken a little more than 3.3.

What if he didn’t want to sign long term at somewhere in the $3.3 M range? Some guys prefer to bet on themselves. In 2 years he knows he will be in a much better position to demand a long term deal at a much higher AAV. I can’t blame the guy for that.

I think that at 1.4 it would have been better for both to sign for just 1 year. Another season will establish his value. Then go long term.

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Agree - but I think it would have taken a little more 3.3.

I think that at 1.4 it would have been better for both to sign for just 1 year. Another season will establish his value. Then go long term.
Can't they extend him next summer?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agree - but I think it would have taken a little more than 3.3.

Chevy is negotiating with his agent who might have been pushing for 2 years to put his client in the best position possible to negotiate his next contract especially with an expected jump in the cap. Actual negotiations aren’t like HF Boards where all us pretend GMs say give him that or do this trade like Chevy can just dictate it because it helps us the most.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Chevy is negotiating with his agent who might have been pushing for 2 years to put his client in the best position possible to negotiate his next contract especially with an expected jump in the cap. Actual negotiations aren’t like HF Boards where all us pretend GMs say give him that or do this trade like Chevy can just dictate it because it helps us the most.

My thinking is that he is going to be underpaid for the 2 years though. Especially the 2nd year. Therefore there is a benefit to him to go only 1 year. Exactly how it balances out depends on how much his next contract is going to come in at. But getting money sooner always has a benefit, provided you don't blow it.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
My thinking is that he is going to be underpaid for the 2 years though. Especially the 2nd year. Therefore there is a benefit to him to go only 1 year. Exactly how it balances out depends on how much his next contract is going to come in at. But getting money sooner always has a benefit, provided you don't blow it.
Don’t know. No need to dig too deep in things we don’t know. Chevy and Samberg’s camp came to an agreement both seem to be happy with. Sometimes that is needed over grinding out what may be optimal for one side over the other. In 2 years we can hope the relationship is still strong and he signs long term on a fair deal.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
It ain't that serious

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Sammy likes hunting and fishing so he is playing in one of the best markets for those pastimes.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Sammy likes hunting and fishing so he is playing in one of the best markets for those pastimes.

With the number of players that don't stick around year round, do these kind of summer activities matter when he probably just goes 4 hours south to central Minnesota to do the same thing?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
While the players are here for hockey we have (within close proximity to Winnipeg) world class walleye and channel catfishing. When I say world class, I mean one of the best places on the planet.
We also have world class (again one of the best places around) waterfowl hunting and some really good upland game.
Also, tons of opportunities for big game hunting not that far from the city.

These are not summer activities.
Sammy will go home and fish and take his dad on fly-ins during the summer.
He isn't hanging around Winnipeg in the summer.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
While the players are here for hockey we have (within close proximity to Winnipeg) world class walleye and channel catfishing. When I say world class, I mean one of the best places on the planet.
We also have world class (again one of the best places around) waterfowl hunting and some really good upland game.

And when are they going to do all that?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Helle and Buff found time during the season and you can be sure Samberg does as well.

Reactions: Buffdog

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Yeah there is definitely opportunities to lock guys up long term where it makes sense from the team perspective. Basically you are flashing forever money in front of someone and hoping it blinds them from earning their max potential.

Samberg and Vilardi seem like those two this offseason. Doesn't mean the players and agents aren't wise to it sometimes and prepared to bet on themselves.

Reactions: KingBogo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad