Confirmed with Link: Jets sign Dylan Samberg to a two-year, $1.4M AAV contract

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
A bit surprised at this one -- given the season and then tournament DS had I thought the Jets it might have pushed for a longer deal to wrap up some UFA years before the price goes a whole lot higher.
It’s a saw off. For many players who believe in themselves they aren’t going to give away their career earnings just because fans want a long term deal.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Probably means we are not trading a defence man... would have been nice to have him wrapped up for 5-6 years

Reactions: Ginger Papa

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Good deal for the Jets, for a young guy that has a lot of upside, and looked very solid last season.:nod:

Reactions: Ginger Papa

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
A favorite of mine since he's been drafted and always ranked him high in the annual prospect thingy.
He is an UFA in 2026 according to puckpedia.
I would have liked longer but not going to bitch about samberg at 1.4m for two years.
Keep it up Chevy.
Vilardi at 2 x 3.25m?
Puckepedia lists 2026 as his UFA year except he will need a new contract for the start of the 2025-26 season so he is still an RFA at that time. Not a fan of puckepedia compared to cap friendly.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
3u04h5.jpg

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Heard he didn’t want to play in Winnipeg beyond that.:sarcasm:

RELAX I’m kidding
No man, I was in Toronto last week and I heard he wants out. Going to play for the Leafs once this deal is done. He's just slow walking himself to UFA.

Also kidding.

Cheap deal for us, but as someone said defensive defensemen don't get paid, plus a general lack of icetime built up yet. I'd say this is a good bet for Samberg and expect his next deal to be much better for him.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I've been really liking his development and was an initial member of the Samberg club I think. Would have been nice to get a long term deal, but it's not bad either as his current cap hit can help us improve the roster now, and he'll still be a RFA in 2 years. I don't expect him to provide much offense, but be a steady defensive option, and possibly with a little more physicality as he goes forward. I've already liked his skating, and he makes good decisions and can move the puck well.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I first saw him live again Montreal last season and I remember thinking he looked pretty calm and under control then shortly after he had a rough 4-5 game stretch. He seemed to be steadily improving as he went along after the rough patch.
Good signing for us.

Reactions: Buffdog

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Puckepedia lists 2026 as his UFA year except he will need a new contract for the start of the 2025-26 season so he is still an RFA at that time. Not a fan of puckepedia compared to cap friendly.

He will be 26 YO, so not UFA by age.
He will have played in 4 NHL seasons, so not UFA by seasons played.
Pretty straightforward. He will be 1 year away from UFA.

?

Morrissey
Samberg
Dillon
Stanley
Capobianco
Chisholm
Heinola

on the left

Probably means that Snerg is not the Dman to be traded. Not that he ever was.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He will be 26 YO, so not UFA by age.
He will have played in 4 NHL seasons, so not UFA by seasons played.
Pretty straightforward. He will be 1 year away from UFA.

Probably means that Snerg is not the Dman to be traded. Not that he ever was.
Agreed to the bolded, I was just trying to clarify a post by someone else who said he would be a UFA at the end of the contract.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Cheaper than anticipated, and sets the player up for extension when we finally get rid of Pionk and Schmidt's deals in 2025. Not bad.

Concern is that he will be 1 year from UFA with arbitration rights when this contract expires so the Jets will have less leverage when negotiating his next hopefully long term deal and he can write his ticket to UFA if he wants.

I have seen enough from him that I was comfortable offering a long-term deal at a significantly higher caphit. Yes, he was sheltered at times and his numbers could be a product of that but my eyetest combined with his numbers is enough to convince me that he is the real deal.

That said Samberg isn't a high maintainence guy and is similar to Buff in that way so he could be happy signing long term with the Jets even with the UFA option close if he likes his role and pay here. But he'd be a lot more expensive. Wish we could have signed him for atleast 6 seasons and bet on him eventually outproducing his contract. This is the type of guy you sign a Scott Mayfield style contract for 6-7 seasons at 3.3 million and reap benefits when he outproduces his contract 2 years from now esp with the cap going up.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Concern is that he will be 1 year from UFA with arbitration rights when this contract expires so the Jets will have less leverage when negotiating his next hopefully long term deal and he can write his ticket to UFA if he wants.

I have seen enough from him that I was comfortable offering a long-term deal at a significantly higher caphit. Yes, he was sheltered at times and his numbers could be a product of that but my eyetest combined with his numbers is enough to convince me that he is the real deal.

That said Samberg isn't a high maintainence guy and is similar to Buff in that way so he could be happy signing long term with the Jets even with the UFA option close if he likes his role and pay here. But he'd be a lot more expensive. Wish we could have signed him for atleast 6 seasons and bet on him eventually outproducing his contract. This is the type of guy you sign a Scott Mayfield style contract for 6-7 seasons at 3.3 million and reap benefits when he outproduces his contract 2 years from now esp with the cap going up.

he basically got the sandin & liljegren bridge contract.

i didn't think he'd want to sign long-term w/o prior to getting a top-4D opportunity. 1) he gets closer to UFA which his next deal will be more UFA years bought 2) top-4D gets you more minutes alongside a higher caliber fwd mix. putting up 30+ pts while maintaining good defensive play at 20+ mins/night would be similar to Slavin or younger Vlasic.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

What if he didn’t want to sign long term at somewhere in the $3.3 M range? Some guys prefer to bet on themselves. In 2 years he knows he will be in a much better position to demand a long term deal at a much higher AAV. I can’t blame the guy for that.

Reactions: Teppo Numenor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad