Rumor: Jets-Sabres trade?

pcanuck

Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/buf130204.html

Buffalo needs offence and defence. They are looking for a splash and their GM and owner are known for making one.

Winnipeg has depth at centre and now defence with our younger players coming into their own. Once Bogo comes back which should be very soon, someone will need to go down OR

I'd love to imagine a scenario like trading:
C Wellwood UFA
D Byfuglien's 5.2M salary

Buffalo sends us their first round pick this year (no guarantees as there is a lottery) -

Imagine two first round picks!! That would certainly help us in the long run and we shed salary! And we would have a more solid D.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Byfuglien alone is worth WAY WAY WAY more than a 1st round pick.

I really doubt they are looking to trade him, but if they were the Sabers would have to pony up with a lot more.

Grigerenko and a 1st could start a conversation, but I think they would still be adding.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
No thanks. I wouldn't do Buff for their first, unless something else significant was coming back this way in addition to the first.

Edit: truck beat me to it. Share his sentiment 100%

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Let's face it Winnipeg (and friends).
The Jets are not really in the market for trades (for the most part), because playoffs are a chance so far - we're a bubble team so far with missing 2/3 of our top 3 D - (so no rentals) and we have no legit areas really of strength that we can trade to cover an area of weakness.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Trade our best OFD for a draft pick that has the POTENTIAL to become good?

I'll stick with the proven guy, thanks.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Second best offensive D in the league for a pick that historically produces an NHL player 50% of the time? Someone is massively overrating picks.

I think Buff has shown improvement both last season and even more this year. We hang on to him unless we get an offer that's impossible to resist.

P.S. that article says shutdown D. Maybe we can sell high on Stuart? I'd be all for trading Hainsey for the right return.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Well wood and Buff for a first?

That is by far the worst proposition I've ever seen and I spent quite a bit of time on the Luongo thread.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
When did Hainsey become a defensive defenseman? Stuart might be more to Buffalo's interest, but they need another forward who can check even moreso than a defenseman.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
When did Hainsey become a defensive defenseman? Stuart might be more to Buffalo's interest, but they need another forward who can check even moreso than a defenseman.

A player like? IE: what comparable on some other team? Hainsey evolved his game - not much need for his previous offensive skills with Buff and Enstrom in the line-up.

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada

Season of 2010-11 when Craig Ramsay took over he was asked to change his role to defensive d-man.

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
It seems like the Jets are linked to quite a few trade rumors. I think where there is smoke, there is fire.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Big Buff is good but Buffalo would never trade Grigorenko for him, let alone add a 1st. Grigorenko is untouchable.

I'll offer Kane, Bogosian and 2 first round picks for Grigorenko,

No one is untouchable, That word should be blacked out here, whats the point of proposing trades if there are "**************"

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Big Buff is good but Buffalo would never trade Grigorenko for him, let alone add a 1st. Grigorenko is untouchable.

Byfuglien is second ONLY to Karlsson as far as offense from the backend is concerned. He's one of the most unique players in the league, one of the biggest and a fan favorite.

But yeah, your rookie is the one that is untouchable :sarcasm:

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The term untouchable in sports basically means anyone with a brain wouldn't offer enough to acquire that player.

No one would offer Bogosian/Kane/2 1st rounders for Grigorenko

Winnipeg isn't going to deal Byfuglien unless some team blows him away with an offer. I suppose if Buffalo was to offer a 1st rounder and Grigorenko for Byfuglien, Chevy may consider it, but then the question is, how good is Grigorenko. he dropped to #12 for a reason.

A more likely scenario is Hainsey being dealt for draft picks.
Stuart being dealt for draft picks.
Both in a sell high scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad