Confirmed with Link: Jets recall Jamie Phillips

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I believe they have to have 2 goalies on the roster at all times. Its just a paper transaction for phillips and Hutchinson can play one of the games this weekend. Maybe a team wants to watch him play

Reactions: Georgetown Al

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
- Hutch can only play in the AHL ASG if he's not on the NHL roster
- The team needs two active goalies per CBA. Hellebuyck is one. Mason is not one, he's on IR.
- They don't want to call up Comrie because they want him to start for the Moose tonight.
- that leaves Phillips as the only possible callup

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
So they send Hutch down to play in the AHL All Star Game - call up Phillips to the Jets. Moose call up Phinney - to back up Comrie? But where's Hutch going after the ASG?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I have no idea why they would do this. I'm guessing it's more or less a paper transaction.

Well with the Moose having two games to play and with both Hutch and Helle playing in All star games (potential injury risk), could it simply be to keep at least one goalie healthy? But why the need to recall Phillips. Couldn't they just choose not to dress him this weekend? Just weird. Maybe they want to give HF Jets something to talk about!

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I assumed Lemieux would go back because they expect Lowry to come of the IR after the all star break.

I heard on the radio that the plan was for Hutch to play a game for the Moose (I guess tonight or tomorrow), then participate in the AHL all star game and then potentially come back up to start against Tampa Bay. If that's the case maybe they need to do something with Phillips while Hutch is down?:dunno:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I'm thinking if they kept Hutch up too long he would have become waiver eligible. If its going to be a long stretch with few games for the backup, may as well be Phillips

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
- The team needs two active goalies per CBA. Hellebuyck is one. Mason is not one, he's on IR.
- They don't want to call up Comrie because they want him to start for the Moose tonight.

Didn't realize this was mandated in the CBA. Thought it only applied to games.so Phillips gets 5 days of NHL pay. I bet he wasn't counting on that. He also likely gets to practice on Monday with the big club. They would not be required to replace a goalie if one was injured on a non game day. However they can't make a loan to go under the 2 goalie requirement. It's probably a cap circumvention rule

CBA

16.4 (b) Clubs are not permitted to Loan Players where the result of such Loan(s) would reduce the Club's Active Roster below eighteen (18) skaters and two (2) goaltenders. However, Clubs will not be required to Recall Players to maintain the minimum eighteen (18) skaters and two (2) goaltenders on days which they do not play an NHL Game, provided that the deficiency below those thresholds is a result of an injury that has caused the removal of such disabled Player from the Active Roster.

Last edited:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

That answers my question, then. It's a paper transaction - nothing more.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
so Phillips gets 5 days of NHL pay. I bet he wasn't counting on that. He also likely gets to practice on Monday with the big club.

They could also loan him back and recall Comrie on Sunday after the Moose have played their two Laval games. They don't play again until Feb 2nd.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
They could also loan him back and recall Comrie on Sunday after the Moose have played their two Laval games. They don't play again until Feb 2nd.

Hutch is going to the Allstar game in Utica on Monday. If he's on the NHL roster he can't participate. I think the whole point of this is to allow Hutch to take part.

Edit: misunderstood. I see you meant return Phillips and recall Comrie. He's more likely to start a Jets game than Phillips that's for sure

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

MotionlessGravity

Apr 15, 2014
Winnipeg

This is what I figured, but why did the Moose call up Phinney, and have 3 tendys on the roster atm?

edit:

Maybe?

– Hutchinson doesn’t play this weekend in any games for the Moose;
– Eric Comrie plays both games vs Laval and Phinney backs him up;
– Hutchinson goes to the AHL All-Star game in Utica which takes place on Sunday/Monday.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud

thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad