Prospect Info: Jets Prospects

Whileee

May 29, 2010
For what it's worth, the Elite Prospects group have a new mock draft, with the Jets taking USNTDP LHD Will Skahan with their pick in the 2nd round.

Seems like a big D that is a bit of a project. Another Samberg?

Reactions: hn777

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
For what it's worth, the Elite Prospects group have a new mock draft, with the Jets taking USNTDP LHD Will Skahan with their pick in the 2nd round.

Seems like a big D that is a bit of a project. Another Samberg?

I can hear the collective groan of the stats community if the Jets were to pick this guy. He is a shutdown type plays the game with an edge. Not much offensive upside. But a safe bet to be a pro some day.

Wouldn't mind someone dropping to us like a Lucas Pettersson. Some really skilled guy the Jets could work with like they did with Lambert

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com

Jets prospect McGroarty aiming to win NCAA title before deciding NHL future​

--
Ideally, the 20-year-old forward won’t be making the call on whether to sign an entry-level contract with the Winnipeg Jets or return to the University of Michigan for his junior year until after the NCAA Division I men’s championship game Saturday, a game he hopes the Wolverines will be playing in.

“Hopefully, selfishly for this team, hopefully we can delay the decision as long as possible,” McGroarty said following team practice at Xcel Energy Center on Wednesday. Michigan faces Boston College in the second national semifinal at 8:30 p.m. ET on Thursday. Boston University plays the University of Denver at 5 p.m. ET.
--

Just reading the tea leaves, it sounds like the "decision" is that he is signing after the tournament, regardless of whether they win it or not. I don't see him playing another NCAA season.

ello

Jun 12, 2018

Jets prospect McGroarty aiming to win NCAA title before deciding NHL future​

--
Ideally, the 20-year-old forward won’t be making the call on whether to sign an entry-level contract with the Winnipeg Jets or return to the University of Michigan for his junior year until after the NCAA Division I men’s championship game Saturday, a game he hopes the Wolverines will be playing in.

“Hopefully, selfishly for this team, hopefully we can delay the decision as long as possible,” McGroarty said following team practice at Xcel Energy Center on Wednesday. Michigan faces Boston College in the second national semifinal at 8:30 p.m. ET on Thursday. Boston University plays the University of Denver at 5 p.m. ET.
--

Just reading the tea leaves, it sounds like the "decision" is that he is signing after the tournament, regardless of whether they win it or not. I don't see him playing another NCAA season.
Oh i thought the bold was an except and got excited

I dont see anything in that articles that hints at anything at all. Very neutral media trained responses

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Oh i thought the bold was an except and got excited

I dont see anything in that articles that hints at anything at all. Very neutral media trained responses

No disrespect to McGroarty but this isn't exactly Lebron James deciding between Cleveland and Miami.

You're right though, I am just trying to read through the lines. My personal belief is that the decision has already been made. If he was even leaning towards returning to college hockey, he could just announce that good news to his coaches, teammates and fans now and ride that wave into the Frozen Four. On the other hand, if he has decided to leave and goto the Jets, it would be a pretty big bummer to everyone on the eve of the tournament.

Regardless of the outcome at the Frozen Four, he will have nothing to prove in college hockey - having made the finals of the Big Ten and then defeating the Big 10 winner in the NCAA tourney and making it to the finals. The chances of even getting back to the FF next year are quite low.

So with that said, if he chooses to stay in college for another year after this tournament - I would be very worried about his prospects of signing with the Jets at all. But I don't believe that will happen, because the "decision" has already been made and he's coming to Winnipeg.

Last edited:

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I dont Michigan projects to be very good next year and frankly were a flawed team that probably overperformed in the playoffs. Would be surprised to see him go back and chase a ship on that team tbh

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Really good breakdown of how/when prospects can play in the AHL:

The CHL: This represents most of Junior Hockey in Canada and encompasses the WHL (Western Hockey League), the OHL (Ontario Hockey League) and the QMJHL (Quebec Major Junior Hockey League). It is basically the reason I wrote this guide – because a lot of fans get confused about why the likes of Olen Zelwegger could play for the Gulls in a few games at the end of the season but cannot join them for the start of the next season (more on that later). So when can that promised NHL prospect play in AHL? The CHL NHL Transfer Agreement requires all draft picks under the age of 20 to be loaned back to their major junior club unless they are on the NHL roster or have completed four full junior hockey seasons.

Note: The specifics of this rule state that the player must be 20 before January 1st (or midnight December 31st) or to have played four seasons in the CHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad