Proposal: Jets-Oilers Draft Day Trade

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
In real $s Myers is paid 3 million next year while Sekera hits his base of 5.5.
Myers > Sekera on ice right now also.
If the Jets need cap space Myers is UFA in 1 year (but I could see him signing @ a lower cap hit to stay) while Sekera carries that 5.5 for 3 more.

The Jet have a full pipeline of prospects which is why they could trade this year's 1st & Foley to rent Stastny. They've spent time & effort on Roslovic who is being eased into a pretty full lineup so the last thing they need is that draft pick just to start over.

So this offer is great for the Oilers but does absolutely nothing to help the Jets.
Lol real money doesn't matter, only caphit does (unless you're Ottawa). One of the dumbest things I've ever seen said in a trade forum.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Yuck. Not a chance. The Jets are giving up the two most valuable pieces by far.
Roslovic is playing now at the level you hope the 10th pick to get to in 2 or 3 years and Sekera was terrible this year.

Sekera also has a full NMC which would screw the Jets over if there is another expansion draft for Seattle

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Jets have 0 reason to trade Myers unless for cap purposes in which we obviously cant take salary back. Roslovic is to valuable as an ELC as well

Reactions: north49er

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Sekera also has a full NMC which would screw the Jets over if there is another expansion draft for Seattle

Don’t quote me on this but I’m fairly sure once it’s waived and the player is moved, the team acquiring him can choose to honour it or not.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Don’t quote me on this but I’m fairly sure once it’s waived and the player is moved, the team acquiring him can choose to honour it or not.

An acquiring club may agree to continue to be bound by the no-Trade or no-move clause, which agreement shall be evidenced in writing to the Player, Central Registry and the NHLPA... (11.8)

So basically the player can refuse the initial trade if the acquiring team doesn't agree to honor the NMC going forward, which is what most players choose to do. At almost 32 Sekera probably values the security of the NMC quite a bit. Doubt he decides to waive it this late in the game

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So basically the player can refuse the initial trade if the acquiring team doesn't agree to honor the NMC going forward, which is what most players choose to do. At almost 32 Sekera probably values the security of the NMC quite a bit. Doubt he decides to waive it this late in the game

Thanks for finding that. So basically it’s entirely situational and doesn’t help us figure this situation out at all :laugh:

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Lol real money doesn't matter, only caphit does (unless you're Ottawa). One of the dumbest things I've ever seen said in a trade forum.
I guess you missed the part about length of contract & the possibility of Myers re-signing for something closer to his $s than his cap hit.
It's always important to read the whole post for context rather than cherry pick a small part.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Jets don't move anybody next season.

Only one i see if Stastny don't sign,Jets will need a play making Center left handed shot :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad