Proposal: Jets-Oilers Draft Day Trade

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Jack Roslovic and Tyler Myers

for

10th Overall Pick and Andrej Sekera

Jets will get a great young player at 10th overall and a LHD to play behind Morissey and even out the cap. Ty Smith is a prospect who should be available at 10 and would be a great add.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017

for

Jets will get a great young player at 10th overall and a LHD to play behind Morissey and even out the cap. Ty Smith is a prospect who should be available at 10 and would be a great add.
No.

Myers is good, and Winnipeg needs the depth on D (which is their weakest position). The only reason they would trade him is to clear cap space (he is overpaid by about a million). Losing Roslovic... is more manageable from a depth standpoint, but still, he too has substantial value. Sekera is even more overpaid, so there is no reason for the Jets to do this: They are contenders, not a target for a Cap Dump in exchange for futures.

Reactions: Peter Tagli Eddie

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

for

No chance. Jack is going no where.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Too unbalanced of a trade favouring the Oilers. Cant seeing the Jets wanting to do this unless the Oilers retain on Sekera and add their 2019 2nd to go to Winnipeg

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
I have been watching Jets lately and I say no thanks. I don't like Myers at all and Roslovic is invisible. No.

No no.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015

for

Jets are doing great with their lineup. Why make any major changes?

Reactions: Snowman

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Oilers say no as the other team is not NYI or NJD and the trade is too fair for both sides.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Myers if traded is to free up salary cap as another noted. We have Sami Niku in the pipeline behind Morrissey on the left side, with guys like Chiarot and Kulikov signed through next season at least and Enstrom+Morrow+Poolman re-nenotiating contracts or being let go. Roslovic is our best forward not regularly in the lineup right now, and if he pans out as a Center becomes quite valuable to us as Bryan Little ages.

Jets pass because this trade offers nothing of immediate need while they're looking to contend. It doesn't free up cap space, and it doesn't make us a better team today. If we deal Myers it's so we can try and work Stastny under the cap, which in this case picks would make sense, but Sekera doesn't.

Reactions: aqsw

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
You really think so? Roslovic only played 32 games in the league, you dont know what they 10th OA can do.

He was leading the AHL in scoring if I recall (PPG+), won gold with the US U20 team, almost 0.5ppg in his rookie season in the NHL at 20/21, and has developed at a very nice pace since we drafted him. That's a solid start to a hockey career, and he's trending upwards. He's trending up like Kyle Connor did - slowly, but the offensive flash is there. Give him real usage as he develops. You hope that a 10th OA can do that, but it's by no means guaranteed. Take the known commodity.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017

for

so toy guys get Ty Smith and Sekera and the Oilers get Roslovic and Myers? hmmmm....

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
You really think so? Roslovic only played 32 games in the league, you dont know what they 10th OA can do.
Roslovic lead his NCAA team in scoring his draft+1 year. He lead his AHL team in scoring his draft+2 year. He was leading the AHL in scoring his draft+3 year before getting called up. Sure the 10th overall might be better. But the odds are they won’t develop as nicely as Roslovic has, or meet the Jets needs as closely as he does. I’ll take the safe bet over the magic beans

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
In real $s Myers is paid 3 million next year while Sekera hits his base of 5.5.
Myers > Sekera on ice right now also.
If the Jets need cap space Myers is UFA in 1 year (but I could see him signing @ a lower cap hit to stay) while Sekera carries that 5.5 for 3 more.

The Jet have a full pipeline of prospects which is why they could trade this year's 1st & Foley to rent Stastny. They've spent time & effort on Roslovic who is being eased into a pretty full lineup so the last thing they need is that draft pick just to start over.

So this offer is great for the Oilers but does absolutely nothing to help the Jets.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Jets will trade Myers for cap space so take out Sekera.
Now what is the value of Myers with one year remaining on his contract and EDMs 10 is way over payment.
So what has to be added to Myers to make the deal fair for 10th pick.

Sekera was injured last year and is playing in the Worlds. He is playing well so if he comes back to his norm he will be a legit top 4 dman. I would like to see Edm keep Sekera and move Russel.
Nurse, Larsson
Sekera, Myers
Klefbom. Benning
I would call that a good dmen group with a lot of puck moving ability

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
In real $s Myers is paid 3 million next year while Sekera hits his base of 5.5.
Myers > Sekera on ice right now also.
If the Jets need cap space Myers is UFA in 1 year (but I could see him signing @ a lower cap hit to stay) while Sekera carries that 5.5 for 3 more.

The Jet have a full pipeline of prospects which is why they could trade this year's 1st & Foley to rent Stastny. They've spent time & effort on Roslovic who is being eased into a pretty full lineup so the last thing they need is that draft pick just to start over.

So this offer is great for the Oilers but does absolutely nothing to help the Jets.
Jets are in a really good Position
What players will have to pass through waivers if sent down next season and the following season.
Those are players that can be added to Myets for the 10th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad