OT: Jets Lounge: "Winnipeg Fire Department Rocks!" - rguy56

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerts

Mar 5, 2015
Winnipeg
Preparing for the offseason - workout thread

It's time to look past the tank and towards the offseason.

Post your best workout videos here!

Last edited by a moderator:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Hey! You shush now and weep before the flames of my sick burns and vicious ribbings!

Your just mad that Alberta can only stand you for three weeks at a time.

The Winnipeg Fire Department rocks too much for the flames to get too high and anyone burned. ;)

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Anyone have experiences with both MTS and Rogers for cell phones? I've been on MTS since I got my first cell phone but I'm honestly thinking about switching. I'm still on a "student data deal" from when I was in university and I've been comparing plans between MTS and Rogers and Rogers looks like they give you way more for the same price of plan. You can still keep your # if you switch, I assume?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Anyone have experiences with both MTS and Rogers for cell phones? I've been on MTS since I got my first cell phone but I'm honestly thinking about switching. I'm still on a "student data deal" from when I was in university and I've been comparing plans between MTS and Rogers and Rogers looks like they give you way more for the same price of plan. You can still keep your # if you switch, I assume?

I've been on Rogers my entire cellular life...I really have few complaints all things considered. Coverage is good (well, in Manitoba it's exactly the same as the MTS 4G network)...across the country and everywhere I've been in the US, Mexico and the Caribbean. And the "Roam like Home" thing is a pretty reasonable deal - $5/day in the US and you basically have whatever your plan is for data, text and voice.

Just go with whoever gives you the best deal for a plan that suits your needs. Isn't the student data deal pretty good on MTS? Or do you have to get off that once you're out of university?

Edit: I'm not sure if you can transfer your cell number across companies. You'd have to ask. One of my accounts has had the same number for 15 years but it's always been with Rogers.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I've been on Rogers my entire cellular life...I really have few complaints all things considered. Coverage is good (well, in Manitoba it's exactly the same as the MTS 4G network)...across the country and everywhere I've been in the US, Mexico and the Caribbean. And the "Roam like Home" thing is a pretty reasonable deal - $5/day in the US and you basically have whatever your plan is for data, text and voice.

Just go with whoever gives you the best deal for a plan that suits your needs. Isn't the student data deal pretty good on MTS? Or do you have to get off that once you're out of university?

Edit: I'm not sure if you can transfer your cell number across companies. You'd have to ask. One of my accounts has had the same number for 15 years but it's always been with Rogers.

Well the student data deal is kind of defunct now. I think all they offer is $5 off a plan with some card thing now. And yeah, I've graduated now so I won't be able to get it anymore anyways but since my plan expired and I'm just still going off that, I still "have it." Shoot. I don't want to have to get a new number. But yeah, I've been doing some plan comparison and MTS looks like crap compared to Rogers for what you get. In 2016, you have to pay extra for call display and voicemail :laugh: which I'm pretty sure iPhones already do anyways... and if they somehow lock that feature, isn't that illegal?

I was able to keep my number when I moved from Rogers to MTS but that was way back in 2009.

Okay hm. I'll do some research it. Maybe I'll contact Rogers.

Thanks guys!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Well, I picked up the new ride tonight. Got a good (but not great) deal on a 2012 Nissan Versa with only 1,831 kilometres. That's correct; a 4 year old car with less than 2K on the odo! It's actually less than 3 years old as it was only put into service April 30 2013, but Nissan sold the 2012 model year for more than two years waiting for the debut of the next gen Versa Note. It was originally purchased in Hull, transfered into Ontario, and then little less than a year ago put into auction as an estate sale. I guess some old person bought it, then passed on before using it much.

It was sold as a new car, because it has less than 2,000 kilometres on it. Original and power train warranty are still in effect, and as it's been sold as new, I have the option of extending the powertrain warranty until April 30 2023, and can extend the bumper-to-bumper for another three years!

It's a Versa SL hatchback with a manual transmission, and power everything else. The only option it doesn't have that I wanted is Bluetooth, which I miss more than I thought I would.

It's a beautiful shade of metallic blue (Daytona Blue, according to the VIN code) and I'll post a pic tomorrow.

What I've noticed so far is how quiet it is, and how compliant the ride is, and how awful electric power steering compares to the hydraulic version. It's like steering any of my cars from the 50's and 60's that had power steering that required only your index finger to turn.

Hmmmm I'm heading to Orlando today. Might take a Versa as my rental if there is one available. Nice snag

On a side note, I drove a 2016 Yaris last time I was down. Besides having to use a key to unlock and start, quite liked it. (I was surprised, hate Toyota's and it's a minicar)

Darth -- You should invest in a new headunit for the Versa -- something with GPS and Bluetooth and all the bells and whistles. Will really upgrade the ride :yo:

Thanks - I'll have to look into this.

I know electric steering isn't always bad (Mrs Monty's Bimmer for example) but Nissan's is bad apparently, throughout the line-up. Yet I under stand that Infiniti's steering is good. Go figure.

PS One of the reasons I chose the 15 STi over the WRX (besides the GIANT WING) was the hydraulic steering on my STi. Not great reviews of the electric on the WRX.

Also the shift linkage is cables on the WRX vs rods, the seats, the interior, the headunit, the suspension, the wheels...

The WRX is a nice car though.

Too bad about the weaksauce power plant. Grandma's Camry is smoking that thing.

Yeah, I looked at the BRZ for about 10 seconds. Really beautifully styled. Super cheap interior and totally gutless.

They were planning on doing a BRZ STi but scrapped it.

Rogers is great -- especially if you travel. Roam like home in the US for 5$ a day (max 50/mo) and 10$ day in Europe (max 100/mo). It's like you are in Canada, calling, texting, data.

Really stable network and Game Centre Live free, along with either Shomi or Spotify.

Last edited by a moderator:

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Yeah I don't really care about Shomi or Spotify but damn GCL would be wicked! :) I don't travel a lot but $5 looks awesome.

Game Centre Live is a pretty nice free perk to Rogers subscription.

The Roam like Home is awesome. $5/day in the US (and I believe it is capped at 10 days, so if you are out of town longer you don't pay more than $50). It is also $10/day international. I was down in Ecuador a while ago and it was fantastic having my full 30GB data plan while there as well as unlimited local calls and unlimited calls to Canada. It was really handy having a phone with me, for example when I got locked out of my hotel at night, I was able to phone the front desk to let me in.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Thanks Holden for combining my posts. I never know how many things I am going to respond to.

Plus, I like having a wall o Jet on the page :laugh:

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba

I was on MTS until a year or two ago. I ended up switching to Rogers due to lack of phone selection at MTS. From a cell service stand point I haven't been disappointed. I was always happy with MTS' service, haven't really noticed much change at all at Rogers. Best thing about me switching to Rogers is that I've gotten Rogers GameCenter Live for free the last couple of years. I was also able to transfer my number from MTS to Rogers.

I'd just look at cost of plan/data usage and see what works best for you. From a service stand point they seem to be quite comparable IMO.

Roam like home is a nice perk too.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Game Centre Live is a pretty nice free perk to Rogers subscription.

The Roam like Home is awesome. $5/day in the US (and I believe it is capped at 10 days, so if you are out of town longer you don't pay more than $50). It is also $10/day international. I was down in Ecuador a while ago and it was fantastic having my full 30GB data plan while there as well as unlimited local calls and unlimited calls to Canada. It was really handy having a phone with me, for example when I got locked out of my hotel at night, I was able to phone the front desk to let me in.

How much does a plan like that set you back? I've always been jealous of NA for their better data deals.

For $30/mo here I only get 1gb and 500 mins and unlimited texts to Oz. The minutes and data does roll over to the next month if you don't use it up. But even the $100 plans don't give you that much.

I do love my provider's customer service and standard rates though. Free voice mail, 9c local and international texts and 44c/m local and international calls. No charges to receive calls and texts either, and they're really flexible with changing plans etc.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
How much does a plan like that set you back? I've always been jealous of NA for their better data deals.

For $30/mo here I only get 1gb and 500 mins and unlimited texts to Oz. The minutes and data does roll over to the next month if you don't use it up. But even the $100 plans don't give you that much.

I do love my provider's customer service and standard rates though. Free voice mail, 9c local and international texts and 44c/m local and international calls. No charges to receive calls and texts either, and they're really flexible with changing plans etc.

I think the 1GB plan at Rogers is $50/month. That comes with unlimited calling across Canada, unlimited texting, voice mail, call display, call waiting, NHL GameCentre Live, Roam like Home, etc.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I don't have any qualms with Rogers, though the biggest reason for me staying with them now is the free NHL.TV subscription that they give people who are part of the qualified 'Share Everything' plan (mine costs $73.45/mo).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad