OT: Jets Lounge: Winds of Winter (no Star Wars spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
that's just pure stupidity. sorry, but it is.
i bike and drive. so i see it from both sides.
i think bikers are much, much worse than drivers. more guilty in being unpredictable and breaking most biking/traffic rules.
as a driver, you don't want the unpredictability of making a right-hand turn, looking for pedestrians, and then having a bike come out quickly from a sidewalk. even 10-15 km/hr on a sidewalk is unpredictable, and cities like toronto, where there are bus shelters, garbage bins, etc, the bike can come from out of nowhere.

when i bike on the street, i'm hugging the curb. maybe 1 ft from the curb so i'm taking up maybe 2 to 2.5 ft of the street. i laugh as cars slow down or can't figure out how to go around me. um, the lane fits me and you. just move towards that dotted line and you're fine.

i've been in 2 bike accidents. both were on toronto paved trails. one involved me flipping over my handlebars because an idiot biker got off her bike in front of me and blocked the entire trail. broke my clavicle. fun. the other involved a pedestrian walking on the bike lane (hey, those bikers that walk on the pedestrian's sidewalk: this is how it feels for someone to be in YOUR lane), me going around him, and him deciding to put his shoulder in me for no ****ing reason and knocking me off my bike. fun.

bikers should just follow the rules. no sidewalk. no weaving. no riding through crosswalks. stop at red lights. signal. don't use a crosswalk to make a left turn. if that happened, then lots of problems would be solved.

on saturday, i got into a fight with a driver. dude ran a stop sign and almost hit me. i had the right of way (i was on a thorough street and he wasn't looking at oncoming traffic). as i pedaled by, he rolled down his window. thought he was apologizing. no. he was telling me that he had the right of way. we got into a heated discussion and he ended up literally driving behind me, flooring his truck, trying to knock me off my bike. i was hoping on the sidewalk, cutting down alleys, etc, trying to shake him. finally lost him. i don't know if he wanted to kill me or just scare me, but that's a pure lunatic move. road rage.

Nah not stupidity at all my friend, it's called mitigating risk. I don't trust drivers in my car and I sure as hell don't trust them if I'm on my bike. As long as you are not in a rush you can bike on the sidewalk perfectly safely.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
All I ask of bikers is that they acknowledge the fact that they are very highly likely to come out on the losing end of any incident involving their bodies and my car and that they act accordingly based on that reality. In other words, don't ride your frikkin bike as though I have to (or even can) make way for you under any and all circumstances. I really don't care what the law says about your "right of way" and what not. You can lie there in your coffin with a smug grin on your face about the fact that you had the right of way if you want to. If you are parked at a red light right smack in my blind spot don't just assume I see you before I make my right turn. If it's blizzarding out, stay the frik off the roads - I don't care how fat your awesome new mountain bike tires are. Oh, and I know it looks really wicked cool when you ride hands-free but when I'm trying to squeeze past you while avoiding gaping potholes and on-coming traffic how bout you just not worry about lookin cool for a few seconds!

As a cyclist I have absolutely zero problem with your comment. As I say, I try to behave as a cyclist that wouldn't irritate me as a driver because I hate how most cyclists ride their bikes. There is no hand of God protecting me on my bike. I assume all motorists hate me and ride accordingly.

It’s a diamond lane (Bikes, busses and cars making a rt hand turn at the next intersection) and there is a wide shoulder on the bridge most cyclists prefer to use.

The problem is that the lane itself turns right at stradbrook, so if you are going straight you need to either cut across the traffic in that lane or move to the left side of the lane or the right side of the next lane over. It’s legal, safe there is even room for traffic to get by as needed, but every once in a while you get some idiot road raging because it doesn’t occur to them that it isn’t safe for cyclists trying to go straight to be on the right hand side of traffic turning right.

I think the sidewalk across the bridge is designated multi-use as it connects the bike path along the railroad tracts to the bike lanes downtown and going North there is some bike specific signage.

Yeah, there's a diamond lane there for sure and I could take the diamond lane all the way from where I work near Portage and Main all the way to the river trail. But I find it just too treacherous with people turning right at St. Mary, Broadway and Stradbrook. Your description is totally accurate of how it could work, but I just opt to avoid it by going through the Forks then coming over the bridge on the sidewalk which as you point out is allowed. I still don't like being there and if the damn river walk wasn't flooded 80% of this year I'd be going down there instead.

Thankfully I haven't been in any situations like hannuJ with people chasing me. I've yelled at a few drivers but I really try not to because I just won't win in that situation even if a guy gets out to take a swing at me because I'm probably straddling my bike and have lousy balance with no good way to fight back at that point. That's a best case scenario, never mind being chased by a guy literally trying to rub you out. Yikes.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Listen...you guys all need to stop biking to work. The recession that we are experiencing (especially me) is all your fault. Get back into a car and drive.

Screw the environment. Alberta needs your oil money.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
In other news, I saw John Wick the other day, and damn there were some awesome moments in that movie.

One of my favorite movies with zero plot. Great soundtrack too.

Spoiler Alert!!!!

Guy's dog dies
Guy kills a bunch of other guys
Guy gets new dog

:laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Have an exterminator coming on Monday to get rid of the wasps nest I have in my foundation by my back porch. Joys of being a homeowner

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Nah not stupidity at all my friend, it's called mitigating risk. I don't trust drivers in my car and I sure as hell don't trust them if I'm on my bike. As long as you are not in a rush you can bike on the sidewalk perfectly safely.

motorcycles have over 30x greater risk of death while riding vs cars. should they also be allowed on the sidewalk?
here's the thing about commuting: whether you're driving a car, walking, riding a bike, on a bus, it's not about you. it's about general flow.
so you ride on the sidewalk, it's selfish. same as me saying "i can speed while driving. i'm a good driver. don't worry."

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
motorcycles have over 30x greater risk of death while riding vs cars. should they also be allowed on the sidewalk?
here's the thing about commuting: whether you're driving a car, walking, riding a bike, on a bus, it's not about you. it's about general flow.
so you ride on the sidewalk, it's selfish. same as me saying "i can speed while driving. i'm a good driver. don't worry."

Motorcycles can keep up with the traffic flow. Bikes can't. It makes them super dangerous on roads where fatalities happen easily. On sidewalks fatalities don't happen between bikes and people. It's really that simple. Doesn't matter what the law says, bikes on sidewalks is what is safest and best for everyone.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Doesn't matter what the law says, bikes on sidewalks is what is safest and best for everyone.

cool.
gonna apply that to the rest of the laws because clearly we, as individuals, know best.

still not sure what keeping up with traffic has to do with anything. that's not necessarily the part that puts bikers at risk.
again, i city bike. just did it yesterday for 15 km. rode on major streets that didn't have a bike lane. been doing it for 16 years in toronto and 3 years in Winnipeg. i've had the odd scare, but i can say the same about driving.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Have an exterminator coming on Monday to get rid of the wasps nest I have in my foundation by my back porch. Joys of being a homeowner

Which company are you using? Let me know if it solves the problem, because the place I chose came out 2 times and I still have wasps.

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
After all those beers...you should triple check that it's level.

Just as long as I don't drunk dial Tsn I'm laughing. Kind of mad at myself for not going to atmosphere. I listened to him quite a bit when I was younger. I think I've been on the rock (island not the drug) too long

Last edited:

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

Sure, if they rode at the speed I ride my bike lol, I can run as fast as I usually bike. It's not as if I'm riding as fast as I can to get somewhere.

When it comes to my life, I will be selfish. But I honestly ride a bike like 5 times a summer so it's not a big issue haha.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Just as long as I don't drunk dial Tsn I'm laughing. Kind of mad at myself for not going to atmosphere. I listened to him quite a bit when I was younger. I think I've been on the rock (island not the drug) too long

Any period of time over two weeks is too long to spend on the island

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad