OT: Jets Lounge: The Dog Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
0 celcius and she probably won't want to leave the house lol.. To be fair 30 celcius and I don't want to either

so you're pretty much waiting for San Diego to become part of Canada and you'll move there.

to be fair, my wife becomes a huge baby once the winter comes. won't do much outside.
i love the summer, but i've learned to appreciate the winter. i'll go biking if the weather hovers a bit below zero (the norm lately in Toronto). i'll go and look for owls at a Toronto park (we get long eared, snowy, saw-whet and great horned owls every winter). the snow can be quite beautiful.

of course, i would rather it be summer all the time. i'm a sun baby. and, fashion-wise, toronto gets quite, um, revealing in the summer, so it's a treat to have the nice weather.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
so you're pretty much waiting for San Diego to become part of Canada and you'll move there.

to be fair, my wife becomes a huge baby once the winter comes. won't do much outside.
i love the summer, but i've learned to appreciate the winter. i'll go biking if the weather hovers a bit below zero (the norm lately in Toronto). i'll go and look for owls at a Toronto park (we get long eared, snowy, saw-whet and great horned owls every winter). the snow can be quite beautiful.

of course, i would rather it be summer all the time. i'm a sun baby. and, fashion-wise, toronto gets quite, um, revealing in the summer, so it's a treat to have the nice weather.

or save tons of money and move to vancouver, but you gotta like rain.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
or save tons of money and move to vancouver, but you gotta like rain.

think Vancouver had a very hot summer this year. so those 30 C days? they were in Vancity. also noticed that most people and restaurants don't have AC. so you get a few stifling weeks there.

this year was the most that i think we used our AC. it was a bloody hot summer in Toronto. teased my sister because, this week, Calgary is 15 C cooler (day and night) than Toronto. i don't think i'd trade Toronto weather for any other city's weather. i hate the drizzle/rain when it's 10 C. feels so cold and looks so grey. in Toronto, i'm sometimes blinded wintertime because of the snow and it being too bright.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
think Vancouver had a very hot summer this year. so those 30 C days? they were in Vancity. also noticed that most people and restaurants don't have AC. so you get a few stifling weeks there.

this year was the most that i think we used our AC. it was a bloody hot summer in Toronto. teased my sister because, this week, Calgary is 15 C cooler (day and night) than Toronto. i don't think i'd trade Toronto weather for any other city's weather. i hate the drizzle/rain when it's 10 C. feels so cold and looks so grey. in Toronto, i'm sometimes blinded wintertime because of the snow and it being too bright.

I don't like any extremes, and particularly enjoy cool, crisp dry weather. October-November and April-May are my comfort zones. And to our friend in Kansas, I'll take needing a block heater instead of a storm cellar any day. ;)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Have friends that have moved to both Dallas and Houston and their winters and spring is great but the summers are close to unliveable. Love the one you're with when it comes to cities and weather IMO.

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
Have friends that have moved to both Dallas and Houston and their winters and spring is great but the summers are close to unliveable. Love the one you're with when it comes to cities and weather IMO.

I hear that. I'm in Nanaimo and I couldn't be happier. 1 winter back out here and I'm turning into an islander again. Weather is so mild and I can brave the rain for a bit. With humidex it got pretty hot in peg this summer?

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I hear that. I'm in Nanaimo and I couldn't be happier. 1 winter back out here and I'm turning into an islander again. Weather is so mild and I can brave the rain for a bit. With humidex it got pretty hot in peg this summer?

The wife wants to retire to Nanaimo. I've been tempted to say, good idea, be sure to write often. :D

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
The wife wants to retire to Nanaimo. I've been tempted to say, good idea, be sure to write often. :D

Haha. It's not for everyone. I love it. Doing day trips to the gulf islands with kayak/ canoe sold me. Also it's around 100, 000 ppl so it's small town feel with enough people that you don't see that same jerk all the time. Also it's 2 hrs away from Victoria and Vancouver for the weekend

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
Also if the ocean isn't your cup of tea, between the lakes and rivers in town you can swim ( I'm 2 minute walk away from long lake) you're set. I could go on. Maybe I just want jet fans out here. It sucks! Don't come. We don't take kindly to your type around here

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
Also! Last also. Prices very comparable to peg. I bought a much nicer condo out here. 50 thousand cheaper. 250 sq ft bigger... Top floor. Last also. Gotta make breakfast for the gf.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
I did enjoy the dryness of the Manitoba winter. We don't really get below zero here in Auckland but it's so damp you stay cold all day if you get wet.

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
I did enjoy the dryness of the Manitoba winter. We don't really get below zero here in Auckland but it's so damp you stay cold all day if you get wet.

Kind of like the island. I was amazed that I was working outside Xmas Eve with shorts and a tee shirt couple years back. Call my grandmother when done to say merry Xmas and she says it's colder than Mars! I guess she saw it on CBC. Thing is my socks would get wet sometimes and I was shivering to the bone. Good thing I had a wood stove atm. Just as long as you're dry you're fine.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Gotta admit, I kinda miss the fact the seasons. However, when I inevitable move away from here and start complaining about the cold, I would appreciate if no one quotes this post.:p:

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Kind of like the island. I was amazed that I was working outside Xmas Eve with shorts and a tee shirt couple years back. Call my grandmother when done to say merry Xmas and she says it's colder than Mars! I guess she saw it on CBC. Thing is my socks would get wet sometimes and I was shivering to the bone. Good thing I had a wood stove atm. Just as long as you're dry you're fine.

This winter has been ridiculously mild and pleasingly dry. Most tshirt days I've had to date. It's spring now and some friends and I are heading to Hot Water Beach. Ocean might not be warm enough yet but if you dig a hole either side of low tide you get your own little hot spring.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I'm sure Nanaimo is very nice, although if I had to live on the island, I would pick Victoria for the drier climate. I'm just a lifelong Winnipegger that doesn't want to start over someplace else at this stage of my life. I'm sure most people would consider my approach to life extremely boring, but I take comfort in the familiar.

And I have loge seats now. As Charlton Heston would say, they'll pry my loge seats from my cold, dead hands! :nod:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
This winter has been ridiculously mild and pleasingly dry. Most tshirt days I've had to date. It's spring now and some friends and I are heading to Hot Water Beach. Ocean might not be warm enough yet but if you dig a hole either side of low tide you get your own little hot spring.

I really don't think we need to hear from you for the next 8 months. ;)

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island

Wet suit is always good

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
I'm sure Nanaimo is very nice, although if I had to live on the island, I would pick Victoria for the drier climate. I'm just a lifelong Winnipegger that doesn't want to start over someplace else at this stage of my life. I'm sure most people would consider my approach to life extremely boring, but I take comfort in the familiar.

And I have loge seats now. As Charlton Heston would say, they'll pry my loge seats from my cold, dead hands! :nod:

I hear that. Loge seats would make me reconsider. But really man you're significant other is right. Takes me a while to get into island time. Super chill. Definitely retirement country

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

I honestly hated living on the island with its 8 months of rain..lived there for four years.

I like Calgary but it's not to hit and not to cold. It still gets pretty warm in the summer and stuff, but the winter is far from extreme.

I did a summer in Kingston while I was in the army and the humidity was just unbearable.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Great Charelton Heston reference but you might want to sub in a55 for hands! I want to try the Loge seats this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad