OT: Jets Lounge: The Dog Days of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I am physically healthy....have a membership at Niakwa.....and have yet to swing a club their this summer. Drives me crazy to waist that money the only upside is I didn't have to golf.

Still have never played Niakwa. Used to drink under the bridge there as a teenager though (insert troll joke here).

Love golf and before my daughter was born I used to play around 35 rounds of 18 a year. Used to be pretty good at it too. Now I'm over the moon if I get in ten rounds and it's looking like this year's total will be seven rounds. :(

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Well that was fun while it lasted. But ends in disappointment, as it usually does for our MNT. :laugh:

Benito Floro is a joke of a manager.

Canada's problems go beyond the manager. Development in this country is poor. Same problems with every manager.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Canada's problems go beyond the manager. Development in this country is poor. Same problems with every manager.

They've never had a manager as bad as Floro, at least as far as understanding players. His squad selection makes no sense and his substitutions are often just baffling. Trailing 2-1 and absolutely need a point? Hey, let's sub out one of our only true scoring threats (Larin) for a defender! :facepalm:

Our development issues really aren't any different from those in the United States. Lots of interested kids, not enough adults that can teach the game and develop skills at an elite level.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
They've never had a manager as bad as Floro, at least as far as understanding players. His squad selection makes no sense and his substitutions are often just baffling. Trailing 2-1 and absolutely need a point? Hey, let's sub out one of our only true scoring threats (Larin) for a defender! :facepalm:

Our development issues really aren't any different from those in the United States. Lots of interested kids, not enough adults that can teach the game and develop skills at an elite level.

I don't think the success of the US compared to Canada is strictly down to the manager and a larger pool of players. The US is far ahead of Canada in that regard.

I don't think Floro is a good manager but he's not any worse than the last couple of guys in charge. Can only do so much with what's given.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Don't hold this against me, took my lady to Thermea for a day of relaxation. That place really is stellar and you need to check it out. The Finnish folks really know how to relax. What a great place to have in Winnipeg.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Don't hold this against me, took my lady to Thermea for a day of relaxation. That place really is stellar and you need to check it out. The Finnish folks really know how to relax. What a great place to have in Winnipeg.

i'm confused.
why start with the "don't hold this against me.."?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Speaking of perogies, is everyone aware that Alycia's re-opened this summer in Gimli?

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/06/18/north-end-institution-alycias-restauarant-goes-north-to-gimli

Now, those are perogies! :nod:

Wow, my mom LOVED Alicia's. If she was still alive I'd definitely see her road tripping to get them. So good!

Two herniations in lumbar with sciatica. No surgery. Lots of lower back and core exercises, stretching, inversion table, shock wave, acupuncture, roller, massage. It's just such a slow painful process. And trying to do aerobic exercise hurts a lot which is frustrating

Sorry to hear that, stoppa. I tweaked my back at hockey a couple weeks ago and was in big pain. I've tweaked it a couple times before and been so lucky that it's bounced right back. Turned out that it wasn't my back at all, it was my SI joint.

The problem with TENS is that is only alleviates pain while it is active. In my opinion, many of the modalities used by therapists are not based on strong scientific evidence, and rely on placebo effect. If that ends up helping someone, all the power to you. But rest, stretching and strengthening should accomplish a positive end-result.

In puck stoppa's case, if there are continuing nerve issues even after multiple therapy treatments, it may be continual pressure from the herniated disc, and may warrant surgery. Definitely worth seeing a doctor over if you haven't already.

I didn't get any of the mumbo jumbo that the AT's/ PT's use in my session. I had a real pro, she diagnosed my injury and did a couple of manipulations, then sent me home with some stretches. I was sorer a few hours after the treatment, but started much better as the evening wore on. I was back on the ice in a week. She recommended dry needling but I took a hard pass.

Most people say Pan Am is the end all and be all of AT but I've gone to Prairie Trail Physio the last 2 times I've gotten hurt and they've been excellent.

I like Grilli, Benoit, Osuna, Feldman, Cecil :dunno:

I hate seeing Brett Cecil trot out of the bullpen. Biggest choke artist out there.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Why is the women's team so good then?

Whats weirder is that hockey enrollment is suffering because more and more kids are playing soccer but it seems like very few of those kids are ever making it farther than their youth teams. There is over 2 million registered youth soccer players in Canada (including boys and girls) according to hockey Canada the registration rate for hockey is just over 570,000 yet it seems that you are far more likely to make a career out of playing hockey than you are at playing soccer. Heck even sub-par hockey players can play well into their 20's on Junior teams across the country. It seems so odd that the success rates are so lob-sided.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
So I know we've got a big Vikings contingent here: thoughts on the Bradford trade?

I know things are desperate now that Bridgewater's out for the season, but that's an outrageous price to pay for a very mediocre QB. First rounder plus? I would've just waited to see the available QBs after cut down day.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So I know we've got a big Vikings contingent here: thoughts on the Bradford trade?

I know things are desperate now that Bridgewater's out for the season, but that's an outrageous price to pay for a very mediocre QB. First rounder plus? I would've just waited to see the available QBs after cut down day.

Should have went after kaepernick, 49ers might give him away soon. Gotta capitalize on that.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

Not a vikings fan, but absolutely terrible trade. Bradford is not a good QB. I guess they just really wanted to have a good team because of the new stadium? The trade really doesn't make much sense value wise. I'm not even sure how much better they are with Bradford over Shaun Hill.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Whats weirder is that hockey enrollment is suffering because more and more kids are playing soccer but it seems like very few of those kids are ever making it farther than their youth teams. There is over 2 million registered youth soccer players in Canada (including boys and girls) according to hockey Canada the registration rate for hockey is just over 570,000 yet it seems that you are far more likely to make a career out of playing hockey than you are at playing soccer. Heck even sub-par hockey players can play well into their 20's on Junior teams across the country. It seems so odd that the success rates are so lob-sided.

Easier for parents to buy some shin pads and shoes than a full set of hockey equipment. Let's just say I won't be entirely heartbroken if my future children decide to do something other than hockey. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad