OT: Jets Lounge: post-Jedi edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
So one of my jackets is a men’s size.

I just stuffed three paperbacks in one pocket.

This is why you guys don’t have to use a handbag.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
So my Baba (grandmother in English to the non-Ukes out there) got diagnosed with cancer (lymphoma), she's 87 so the outlook isn't great. She just went into the hospital yesterday. I'm trying to be rational about it 'She's lived a long life' etc, but she was way more my mother growing up than my actual mom and I'm having a tough time dealing and I just feel angry and sad. I'm the quintessential Baba's boy haha. Also unfortunately she is 4 hour drive away so I can't be there at the moment. Factor in that our dog is sick with something plus work stress the last and the last month has been tough, haven't slept well . I am about one gas station trip from buying a pack of cigarettes and going full bore back on smoking. Any words of advice from ex-smokers on how to not cave when the inevitable life stress happens? Feeling very weak the past week and that I'll cave.

But at least the Jets are winning that helps a lot. A good distraction

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
So my Baba (grandmother in English to the non-Ukes out there) got diagnosed with cancer (lymphoma), she's 87 so the outlook isn't great. She just went into the hospital yesterday. I'm trying to be rational about it 'She's lived a long life' etc, but she was way more my mother growing up than my actual mom and I'm having a tough time dealing and I just feel angry and sad. I'm the quintessential Baba's boy haha. Also unfortunately she is 4 hour drive away so I can't be there at the moment. Factor in that our dog is sick with something plus work stress the last and the last month has been tough, haven't slept well . I am about one gas station trip from buying a pack of cigarettes and going full bore back on smoking. Any words of advice from ex-smokers on how to not cave when the inevitable life stress happens? Feeling very weak the past week and that I'll cave.

Sorry to hear about your Baba and all the other stress in your life.

As far as smoking, the nicotine is now completely out of your system - it's a psychological, not a physical addiction now...and you just have to summon the willpower to say no to a cigarette - no drags, no 'just one', you aren't allowed. Don't let that little voice talk you into it. You're in charge here.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I am not an X smoker but we all have our struggles. The one piece of advice I would give is if you can push through this and not smoke it would be a small positive you could hang your hat on during this current shit storm. Make it the enemy of your current state and beat its ugly ass to the ground.

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Very sorry to hear. :(

As an ex-smoker, the only advice I can give is - hang in there. Concentrate on anything positive. Remember too: if you do cave, it's just a blip in the road. As an ex-smoker, you'll always be quitting - it just gets easier every time you do it, and relapsing doesn't mean you've failed.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Very sorry to hear. :(

As an ex-smoker, the only advice I can give is - hang in there. Concentrate on anything positive. Remember too: if you do cave, it's just a blip in the road. As an ex-smoker, you'll always be quitting - it just gets easier every time you do it, and relapsing doesn't mean you've failed.

"You'll always be quitting" is about the best advice I've ever heard for anyone trying to remove a habit like that from their life. All I can say is that the things you are hoping to lean on by using again, they won't be "fixed" in any ways; the things that are stressing you out will still be there to stress you out.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Happening right now .. good weather.. I mean great weather

2a9vfyc.jpg

Reactions: GNP and YWGinYYZ

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian

Very sorry to hear about your Baba. With what you have told us, I humbly suggest that perhaps you might do the proactive thing. Take a bit of time to go see her -> it will mean a lot to her and possibly more to you than you might realize. The drive is totally worth it. There is a high likelihood that your urge to smoke and fret will go away with the deed executed. Having dealt with a series of very similar circumstances recently, I can recommend that this approach will help. This step will also equip you to cope with peripheral issues moving forward.

All the very best to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: YWGinYYZ

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Stephen Hawking has passed away: Physicist Stephen Hawking dies aged 76

RIP

Thanks for this news JetsFan. A great mind, and to use the common vernacular, a generational physicist with significant contributions to our understanding of the behaviour of some deep space objects, the origins of the current universe, and all manner of extensions of general relativity. He helped confirm the truth of relativity by simply exploring the boundaries of gravitational influence. I have owned his book A brief history of Time for many years. He was not gifted at explanation, and perhaps deGrasse Tyson may be better, but his contributions clearly put him as a powerhouse to take his place among the greats of the last century.

A brief history of Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time

Reactions: YWGinYYZ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad