OT: Jets Lounge: Calling football "soccer" is bad form, even if it's Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I signed up when the Jets came back and posted in the introduce yourself thread, but I don't think I posted again for a few years after that, only lurked. I didn't feel knowledgeable enough, honestly Garrett taught me so much about hockey over the years through his posts lol. I used to think Pavs was a good goalie :huh::laugh:

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thanks. I know I'm being pissy right now and shouldn't be. Sorry for any offense my comments have caused. None was intended. I'll leave it at that. Cheers.

No offense taken at all. Trust me, if anyone understands grief and mourning it's me. Things will get better.

November 12 marked the 38th anniversary of my brother Rob’s death. Memories still bring a smile to my face and a tear to my eye. My 87 year old dad and I conversed and one of our old family friends wrote a beautiful memory of my brother. I really enjoyed reading it because I hadn’t heard it before.

Sorry for both of your loses.

Reactions: Laine Fan

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
It's some kind of curse that I get the shopping cart with the wonky wheel, literally everytime!

Shopping hates me as much as I hate shopping!

Reactions: GNP

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Wow, for years I’ve been wearing out my thumb by madly scrolling up to get to the top of the thread.
Now I just noticed that there’s a handy arrow you just press and it takes you there. :help:
Someone please tell me that that’s new! :laugh:

Reactions: GNP

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
I'm tired of the Canada Post strikes. Just give them what they want and get the ****ing mail moving already
Like... I've lost track of how many times these people go on strike. The timing of this latest action was also dirty pool by them. The folks they are hurting the most is small business. I think they already have their share of nonsense to deal with.

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
Like... I've lost track of how many times these people go on strike. The timing of this latest action was also dirty pool by them. The folks they are hurting the most is small business. I think they already have their share of nonsense to deal with.

Yeah, small town small biz here and it's killing me during the holiday season. Waiting for UPS to get it's crap together and have a depot here (hooray for the North). I read somewhere there's been 22 work stoppages since the 1970's. Just frustrating.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm tired of the Canada Post strikes. Just give them what they want and get the ****ing mail moving already
Give them what they want? Are you aware of their current salaries and benefits? And for what? To be mostly overpaid flyer deliverers? And their prices have become borderline criminal. When was the last time you mailed a small parcel through them? When was the last time you tried to mail a letter to the US and have it trackable? They are labour actioning themselves out of their own jobs, and I'm okay with it.

Sorry for ranting, I used to enjoy buying and selling on eBay before CUPW essentially destroyed it...

Reactions: Laine Fan

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
Give them what they want? Are you aware of their current salaries and benefits? And for what? To be mostly overpaid flyer deliverers? And their prices have become borderline criminal. When was the last time you mailed a small parcel through them? When was the last time you tried to mail a letter to the US and have it trackable? They are labour actioning themselves out of their own jobs, and I'm okay with it.

Sorry for ranting, I used to enjoy buying and selling on eBay before CUPW essentially destroyed it...

I ship hundreds of parcels a month through them for my business, so yes I am aware of their shipping prices. The only option I have to ship for my small biz right now is CP, so it's crippling my biz. So yeah, I don't care give them what they want. I just need them to move.

Reactions: jefferoni

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
I ship hundreds of parcels a month through them for my business, so yes I am aware of their shipping prices. The only option I have to ship for my small biz right now is CP, so it's crippling my biz. So yeah, I don't care give them what they want. I just need them to move.
Understood.

Because of CP's exorbitant prices I've ended up doing most of my online purchases in the US and having them shipped to a border parcel service in Pembina, ND. A small package that costs a little over $3 for USPS to ship from Florida to North Dakota would cost around $14 for CP to ship from Toronto to Winnipeg. Absolutely ridiculous!

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
Understood.

Because of CP's exorbitant prices I've ended up doing most of my online purchases in the US and having them shipped to a border parcel service in Pembina, ND. A small package that costs a little over $3 for USPS to ship from Florida to North Dakota would cost around $14 for CP to ship from Ontario to Manitoba. Absolutely ridiculous!

Oh I agree, it's insane. Makes absolutely no sense for those kind of prices. We're supposed to be getting a UPS depot here in place in the next few weeks, as long as it's not insane price wise I'll be switching for my business. Plus they offer pick up, which CP doesn't offer here. I can't handle the stress of CP anymore and I'm tired of the effect it has on my clients. It seems like every few months there's something. I mean I understand the nature of their job is changing (more packages, less mail) so that will change things, but it's too much stress already.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If anything has killed the small online business/ebay/etc in Canada it is Amazon Prime combined with Canada Post increasing the shipping costs to stay afloat (I believe part of that may have to do with the increased amount of parcels and they did not think ahead to see the changing retail landscape). My wife had to end her Etsy business this year because she just couldn't compete with free shipping and next day delivery plus the cost of Canada Post small packets to the US was getting too high plus the Etsy fees started becoming to high plus China makes stuff for next to nothing etc etc etc. We could have possibly printed USPS labels and drove to Pembina weekly to mail stuff, but at that point she decided it was just easier to get a job lol. At one point she was making $30k per year but it just cratered the last couple years.

I still sell some stuff on Ebay, but it's getting to be $15-20 to ship even a small box within Canada. I usually knock 3 or 4 bucks off the shipping charge and take it out of my selling price just to get people to buy stuff. Ebay is offering no relief either, they basically made it impossible to get their fee discount unless you sell a lot of stuff per month. I lost my discount earlier in the year. Also once they disallowed you to list in USD that killed it with a lot of American buyers for me

The small online seller is being quickly squeezed out by the big companies. Just like it happened with the "mom and pop" shops in traditional retail.

Anyways, Canada Post needs to restructure and get with the times already.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The most Canadian of sports stories...

‘EXTREMELY DRUNK’: Canadian curling team banned from tour event for breaking brooms, fighting

The incident was discussed a this World Curling Tour live stream of the event: “Yesterday, they got here about 11 o’clock,” the commentator said. “They were sitting over there drinking, about 30, 40 empty bottles of beer and they were doing shots. They went out there completely drunk and played, kicking rocks, throwing brooms, they got disqualified. Other teams were saying, ‘We do not want to even play here anymore if they’re allowed, so they said, ‘Team Koe, disqualified,’ and they’re never allowed to play here again.”

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The most Canadian of sports stories...

‘EXTREMELY DRUNK’: Canadian curling team banned from tour event for breaking brooms, fighting

The incident was discussed a this World Curling Tour live stream of the event: “Yesterday, they got here about 11 o’clock,” the commentator said. “They were sitting over there drinking, about 30, 40 empty bottles of beer and they were doing shots. They went out there completely drunk and played, kicking rocks, throwing brooms, they got disqualified. Other teams were saying, ‘We do not want to even play here anymore if they’re allowed, so they said, ‘Team Koe, disqualified,’ and they’re never allowed to play here again.”
Funny, you'd think this would be a more regular occurrence :laugh:.

I'm sure the organizers didn't mind the liquor tab at the beer garden. Who's the doofus who kept serving them might be a question they'd want to ask. Behaviour like this is pretty ridiculous for adults and athletes competing in an event, but curling kind of embraces the whole drinking thing pretty strongly. They shouldn't be too judgmental all things considered.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Funny, you'd think this would be a more regular occurrence :laugh:.

I'm sure the organizers didn't mind the liquor tab at the beer garden. Who's the doofus who kept serving them might be a question they'd want to ask. Behaviour like this is pretty ridiculous for adults and athletes competing in an event, but curling kind of embraces the whole drinking thing pretty strongly. They shouldn't be too judgmental all things considered.

Just speculating... but the game was probably invented by a bunch of guys sitting around drinking and one said " why don't we play something while we are drinking "... kind of how golf came about as well I would guess. Those Scots....:DD

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB
Give them what they want? Are you aware of their current salaries and benefits?

Two demands the negotiators could have met and had mail moving again were reducing the number of temporary contracts and balancing the urban/rural salary divide - these are two issues that have been at the core of the labour disruptions at Canada Post for the past decade or more... reduce the number of temp contracts and balance the urban/rural salaries (without additional raises beyond COLA) and you'd have at least a 4 year deal right there.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Anyone keeps up with Q?

Don't kill the messenger...

I'm just asking that's all...

Curiosity kills...

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Well I just signed so I have a new job with the same employer...

Now I am a mechanic...

No more constant travel...

I lose my company truck plus $7.00 dollars an hour.

I gain a lot of my personal life back.

Were based out of Milton ON...or maybe Edmonton AB

Anyone interested in making over 100k +++ per year after four or five years well we have two entry positions open, must handle high stress and be mechanically inclined including being book smart and follow major procedures step by step to keep you and the public out of trouble.

Job: Drilling into live running pipelines and more..

Territory: All of Canada and if you accept all of the world that pays even more for I stayed just in Canada...

You apply no references from me...

You either get in or not...

If interested...

Let me know...

I will point you in the right direction...

HF Jets fans come first...

Go :jets Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad