Jets Lounge 2: Dark Helmet is Lone Starr's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

I'm an AI researcher, does that make me a technocrat?:D

I'm gonna go ahead and say that the issue in China lies more with the authoritarian government than with facial recognition. I wish it were possible to use facial recognition to make everyday life much easier, but I don't really have faith in governments (or big companies for that matter) to treat that power responsibly.

But if people could just NOT oppress people for five goddamned minutes, we could get so much work done!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I'm gonna go ahead and say that the issue in China lies more with the authoritarian government than with facial recognition. I wish it were possible to use facial recognition to make everyday life much easier, but I don't really have faith in governments (or big companies for that matter) to treat that power responsibly.

But if people could just NOT oppress people for five goddamned minutes, we could get so much work done!

AI is an amazingly powerful beast. People don’t realize what a monster (I mean that in a good way) it really is.

AIaas and Saas will both transform the dynamics of business within this decade. You are hanging out on boardwalk my friend. My day job is taking up allot of my time but when I am not weeded I am trying to hack case studies and best practices on how to leverage efficiencies of developing and evolving AI tools on existing businesses. It is the game right now to be in no matter what your space.

Reactions: Romang67

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
AI is an amazingly powerful beast. People don’t realize what a monster (I mean that in a good way) it really is.

AIaas and Saas will both transform the dynamics of business within this decade. You are hanging out on boardwalk my friend. My day job is taking up allot of my time but when I am not weeded I am trying to hack case studies and best practices on how to leverage efficiencies of developing and evolving AI tools on existing businesses. It is the game right now to be in no matter what your space.
I definitely lucked out in terms of my path leading me to working in this field, and especially now with all the opportunities that are presenting themselves!

Reactions: ps241

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
I definitely lucked out in terms of my path leading me to working in this field, and especially now with all the opportunities that are presenting themselves!
I'm curious, what do opportunities in the field look like for those from a language/linguistics background, rather than a computing/engineering/technology background?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I'm curious, what do opportunities in the field look like for those from a language/linguistics background, rather than a computing/engineering/technology background?
Massive. Much of the work in our lab includes at least some degree of language understanding/generation, and the field has exploded in recent years. For reference, one person in my lab got his undergrad in journalism, before switching to (mainly) automated storytelling/translation from data to text.

There are essentially two different fields of view for language in AI: statistical natural language processing and semantics based natural language understanding. The statistical methods are much more focused on building models that use massive datasets to learn latent components in language. The semantic methods focus much more on rules, created with previous domain knowledge.

Many actual projects will use both of these techniques.

As far as I'm aware, the field was born from linguists discussing the rules of language and wanting to see if it could be automated. This evolved into things like QA systems, task-oriented conversational interfaces and chatbots, language generation systems, automated translation systems, etc. Interfaces like Alexa and Siri are both hybrids, using both big data and more nuanced techniques for things like their QA component.

In short, I'd put out feelers, but I'm 100% certain that there are many labs out there who would improve with the expert opinion of a linguist. Same things with many companies. It would likely be a good idea to dabble with some programming to have an easier time getting your foot in the door though.

You can PM me if you have any questions.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Massive. Much of the work in our lab includes at least some degree of language understanding/generation, and the field has exploded in recent years. For reference, one person in my lab got his undergrad in journalism, before switching to (mainly) automated storytelling/translation from data to text.

There are essentially two different fields of view for language in AI: statistical natural language processing and semantics based natural language understanding. The statistical methods are much more focused on building models that use massive datasets to learn latent components in language. The semantic methods focus much more on rules, created with previous domain knowledge.

Many actual projects will use both of these techniques.

As far as I'm aware, the field was born from linguists discussing the rules of language and wanting to see if it could be automated. This evolved into things like QA systems, task-oriented conversational interfaces and chatbots, language generation systems, automated translation systems, etc. Interfaces like Alexa and Siri are both hybrids, using both big data and more nuanced techniques for things like their QA component.

In short, I'd put out feelers, but I'm 100% certain that there are many labs out there who would improve with the expert opinion of a linguist. Same things with many companies. It would likely be a good idea to dabble with some programming to have an easier time getting your foot in the door though.

You can PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks for the detailed reply mate, I might flick you a message down the line.

I only have undergrad linguistics (double major with English lit), I went down the English teaching path after graduating because I needed a break from the academics. So far it's been great in France but if I go back home or get sick of it I'll definitely be looking into shifting into something more tech-based and upskilling from there.

Reactions: Romang67

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

I see myself as quitting my current job and becoming an authoritarian ruler so this topic is of interest to me. :)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Joe Rogan signed a $100 million dollar deal to move from YouTube to Spotify. We are living in a very new content creation and distribution era but it shows there are still massive opportunities for the top players.

I never knew who Joe Rogan was until I turned off my radio and turned on podcasts in 2018. I am obsessed with then now and although Tim Ferriss is my go too I have listened to Rogan allot and he is a stud. He gets great guests and he has honed the craft of the long form modern interview.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Joe Rogan signed a $100 million dollar deal to move from YouTube to Spotify. We are living in a very new content creation and distribution era but it shows there are still massive opportunities for the top players.

I never knew who Joe Rogan was until I turned off my radio and turned on podcasts in 2018. I am obsessed with then now and although Tim Ferriss is my go too I have listened to Rogan allot and he is a stud. He gets great guests and he has honed the craft of the long form modern interview.
Rogan is a good interviewer who gets good guests but it is annoying how many people turn to his words for advice. This isn't necessarily his fault though. He has also had some questionable guests on and because of his style of interviewing where he mostly lets the guest talk, he doesn't question or fact check a lot of what they say. This can lead to misinformation being spread and when you're the biggest podcast in the world, that's unfortunate.

It is what it is , still enjoy listening when he has guests that I am interested in.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
OK... this is something we never would have seen without covid-19..

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/south-korea-soccer-sex-dolls-1.5577460

South Korea's K League said on Wednesday its disciplinary committee decided to impose a 100 million won ($113,173) fine on FC Seoul for using sex dolls instead of mannequins to fill empty seats in their stadium.

Fans watching the match on television took to social media to raise doubts about the inflatable spectators.

Find it interesting / disturbing that fans watching on TV were able to identify these as sex dolls. "Hey... I recognize that doll" :eek:

Reactions: Jets 31

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Who else is watching the Falcon 9 launch stream?

You Canadians might be tickled by the fact that the astronauts' names are apparently Bob and Doug.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets 31

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Nice to be back here and seeing that the ads are even more intrusive on mobile :rolleyes:

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Mr Wrestling #2 passed away on Tuesday
He was 85
Remembered him from Georgia Championship Wrestling
Hope you give a few people up there those famous knee lifts .....

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Checking in, how is everyone doing? I've been busy with yard work and attempting some house renos the past few weeks. Needed a break from nonstop world and Covid19 news. Amazing when you don't watch the news all night what you can get done lol

Will finish my Renos in the next couple of weeks

I’m thinking that will be it this year .......

Reactions: Afterburner

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Checking in, how is everyone doing? I've been busy with yard work and attempting some house renos the past few weeks. Needed a break from nonstop world and Covid19 news. Amazing when you don't watch the news all night what you can get done lol
I have a lot of plans for my gardens and flower beds this summer. Total revamp. Things were designed by the previous owners to be pretty low maintenance in a few places, but it has all kind of gotten out of hand. There's a lot of weeding, digging, planting/plant relocating, mulching, and probably swearing in my near future.

At night, I've been trying to build a new computer out of my son's cast-off mobo, CPU and GPU (which are all major upgrades on my 10 year old Dell Vostro)...anyway, it's been a bit of a project. Apparently things have changed a bit since I last built a computer (20 years ago)! I tried to use an old ATX case, but it didn't pan out. That old case had an 80 GB HDD and 512 MB of RAM - we all lol'd about that. It's all put together but Windows 10 doesn't seem to want to install (gets partway through then just black screen forever)...graphics driver issues maybe? I dunno...

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
I have a lot of plans for my gardens and flower beds this summer. Total revamp. Things were designed by the previous owners to be pretty low maintenance in a few places, but it has all kind of gotten out of hand. There's a lot of weeding, digging, planting/plant relocating, mulching, and probably swearing in my near future.

At night, I've been trying to build a new computer out of my son's cast-off mobo, CPU and GPU (which are all major upgrades on my 10 year old Dell Vostro)...anyway, it's been a bit of a project. Apparently things have changed a bit since I last built a computer (20 years ago)! I tried to use an old ATX case, but it didn't pan out. That old case had an 80 GB HDD and 512 MB of RAM - we all lol'd about that. It's all put together but Windows 10 doesn't seem to want to install (gets partway through then just black screen forever)...graphics driver issues maybe? I dunno...

Awesome! I'm putting together a PC too at the moment. There's a nice little community over in the PC building thread, check it out it you haven't.

PC Building Guide and Discussion #13

Reactions: Gm0ney

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Awesome! I'm putting together a PC too at the moment. There's a nice little community over in the PC building thread, check it out it you haven't.

PC Building Guide and Discussion #13
I had to dig back a few pages to find your System Builder link. Looks very nice...that's a funky modernist case.

I took my son's hand-me-downs and added the cheapest parts I could locate locally. It screams "done on the cheap!" - a true Winnipegger build. :laugh: System Builder

Edit: the power supply didn't cost $300 lol...more like $70.

Last edited:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Kind of an odd question, but don't know where else to put it.

I own a seat from the old Winnipeg Arena (blue, I never sat in the reds so why bother?) but haven't done anything with it at all. It just kind of sits around collecting dust. But I'd like to have it at least be useful in some way, fully noting they were never comfortable to begin with. Has anyone done anything to provide legs/support for theirs and could you post a picture if you have please? I'd like to have mine be off to the side in the rec room but useable if someone wanted. So it needs to not look like crap but neither does it need old clawfoot bathtub feet either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad