Jets Lounge 2: Dark Helmet is Lone Starr's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Do they even have low profile winter tires? Low profile kind of sucks to actually drive on - I guess they're a bit better at cornering (in dry conditions when you can push it), but the ride is so harsh. My wife's car has low profiles in the summer and it's a better ride on the more standard profile winters.
Low profile really doesn't make any sense in Manitoba does it?

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
So I've liked this song for a long time; whether you share my taste in synth-pop or not is irrelevant, the issue is: I remember when "240p" was like, WHOAH, what an AMAZING resolution to stream a music video in! And now if it doesn't stream 4k, it's "lol so yesterday"

But the song is also awesome :)

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Okay, sorry for topping my own playbill here, but here's a possibly recognizable Christmas parody for any of us who have ever played World of Warcraft.. and I mean, nothing says "WATCH IN HIGH QUALITY" like a 360p(!) viewing option. Almost, but 5 years away, from internet streaming catching up to SD TV quality.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
AND FINALLY (yes, that's all tonight :P) a parody for those "of a certain age", for whom either the name "Howard Cosell" or "Don Vogel" has any value ;)

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I’ve been enjoying the tire, wheel and TPMS talk. With no NHL ST to pay for I was finally able to get myself a new used vehicle. A nice upgrade on my 2000 Dodge Neon which I still have just in case. Only 125K on it.

Of course my wife has been enjoying heated seats and steering wheel the whole time.

I am just glad to have command start and automatic doors and windows.

I bought some after market TPMS for half the price the dealership wanted and my local garage thinks they can install them on my new winter rims and tires so I am hoping for the best. Nothing like trying to save $120.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets 31

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I’ve been enjoying the tire, wheel and TPMS talk. With no NHL ST to pay for I was finally able to get myself a new used vehicle. A nice upgrade on my 2000 Dodge Neon which I still have just in case. Only 125K on it.

Of course my wife has been enjoying heated seats and steering wheel the whole time.

I bought some after market TPMS for half the price the dealership wanted and my local garage thinks they can install them on my new winter rims and tires so I am hoping for the best. Nothing like trying to save $120.

Impressive!!

One thing I learned today is that Winter tires are actually cold weather tires can be driven once the weather gets below 8 degrees. The newer compounds over the years have changed them and they are no longer snow tires they are cold weather tires. Just a heads up when you are booking when to switch on and off.

Reactions: blues10 and Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Do they even have low profile winter tires? Low profile kind of sucks to actually drive on - I guess they're a bit better at cornering (in dry conditions when you can push it), but the ride is so harsh. My wife's car has low profiles in the summer and it's a better ride on the more standard profile winters.
I looked into low profile winter tires for the Escalade just for shits and giggles , 350 bucks a tire............. :biglaugh:Ya i'm running out to get some right now , think i'll buy 5 that way i have a spare. :biglaugh:

Reactions: Gm0ney

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Some of those upgrades are fantastic, heated seats and not just for the bum , the back of the seat too are great. Heated steering wheel, great but a sensor for your wipers is just stupid. I thought something was wrong with the wipers because they went at different speeds without me touching anything :laugh: . Come on, i can't move a switch myself ? am i that useless ? :help: :laugh: I'm forgetting the cooling seats for summer, i thought they wouldn't do anything really but i tried them this summer and they actually do make a difference especially with black leather seats.

Last edited:
Reactions: blues10

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Some of those upgrades are fantastic, heated seats and not just for the bum , the back of the seat too are great. Heated steering wheel, great but a sensor for your wipers is just stupid. I thought something was wrong with the wipers because they went at different speeds without me touching anything :laugh: . Come on, i can't move a switch myself ? am i that useless ? :help: :laugh: I'm forgetting the cooling seats for summer, i thought they wouldn't do anything really but i tried them this summer and they actually do make a difference especially with black leather seats.
Yeah I regret not going up a model for the cooled seats and other associated features. Next time I suppose.

Thankfully I don't have those wipers. I'll declare myself officially old here by saying I'm not really liking all of the safety features that are being installed into vehicles. Warning systems, sure, good idea as more information is better. But auto this or that, notably auto parallel parking to me is just confirming that you're not a very good driver. We shouldn't be encouraging a lack of skill in driving abilities by having the car compensate for them.

The ads for the cross traffic or auto-braking systems drive me nuts. Sure, quality safety features, but each of the ads shows an individual failing to pay proper attention (backing out of the driveway without bothering to look; speeding through a hockey arena parking lot). The message they send is hey, don't worry about paying attention, we have your back.

I also sort of question the need for these big screens and things like Android Auto or Apple's car thingy. Your job in the car is to drive the car and pay attention to the road, not interact with your social media platforms. Sure, Spotify or the like are relatively harmless but I've been in cars with people that spend more time looking at the screen than the road. Back up cameras are ok, until the glare from the sun obliterates the screen. Mirrors and turning your head are far more effective than relying on the tech. The backup camera is great for getting closer to an obstacle or hitching a trailer though. It's a very useful tool, but one that encourages overreliance.

Where's the grumpy old man screaming at the clouds emoji? :wally

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yeah I regret not going up a model for the cooled seats and other associated features. Next time I suppose.

Thankfully I don't have those wipers. I'll declare myself officially old here by saying I'm not really liking all of the safety features that are being installed into vehicles. Warning systems, sure, good idea as more information is better. But auto this or that, notably auto parallel parking to me is just confirming that you're not a very good driver. We shouldn't be encouraging a lack of skill in driving abilities by having the car compensate for them.

The ads for the cross traffic or auto-braking systems drive me nuts. Sure, quality safety features, but each of the ads shows an individual failing to pay proper attention (backing out of the driveway without bothering to look; speeding through a hockey arena parking lot). The message they send is hey, don't worry about paying attention, we have your back.

I also sort of question the need for these big screens and things like Android Auto or Apple's car thingy. Your job in the car is to drive the car and pay attention to the road, not interact with your social media platforms. Sure, Spotify or the like are relatively harmless but I've been in cars with people that spend more time looking at the screen than the road. Back up cameras are ok, until the glare from the sun obliterates the screen. Mirrors and turning your head are far more effective than relying on the tech. The backup camera is great for getting closer to an obstacle or hitching a trailer though. It's a very useful tool, but one that encourages overreliance.

Where's the grumpy old man screaming at the clouds emoji? :wally
Totally agree with everything you have said, we seriously can't turn our heads or look out a back window anymore? On a side note i am getting my windshield replaced, thank god for a 200 dollar deductible:laugh: , and just asked if your rear defrost isn't working and you've been told you have to replace the glass, is it covered through Autopac ? Nope. Guess that's because you don't need to look out your back window at all anymore. :help:

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I LOVE the 14 speaker Bose surround stereo in the Escalade though. :yo: Don't know about the people driving near me. :laugh:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't really talk much on these side of the boards, but I wanted to apologize for going overboard this year much too often, for the sake of argument. Online bullying is a real thing, and it's not something I endorse. You have to earn respect, by giving it as well, that's a hockey and life lesson. It's also one of the Sacred Teachings.

In other news any ice rinks starting yet? It will be good to have the Forks open this winter for skating.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Ya it's only a matter of time before alot of places are going to have to go back into lockdown . With Winnipeg's daily counts right now i think we will be very soon.
Yes, Winnipeg is in serious trouble. So is the rest of the province, because most of the medical system is concentrated here. We're a couple of weeks (or less) away from our hospitals being overwhelmed to the point where doctors are going to have to make some tough decisions. St. B's ICUs are already full.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yes, Winnipeg is in serious trouble. So is the rest of the province, because most of the medical system is concentrated here. We're a couple of weeks (or less) away from our hospitals being overwhelmed to the point where doctors are going to have to make some tough decisions. St. B's ICUs are already full.
Was just at Physio and asked if they thought they would close and the girl said they may stay open but only take essential service injuries and post op patients for a few weeks .

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If people don't like the lockdowns then do the things that are required so that the lockdowns don't occur. Pretty simple.

I suppose that France and the US are nations founded on Revolution, so lockdown is tough for them. It's a different world. We still buy manufactured good from China, where Covid is simply not discussed anymore, to make it relevant. I still can't believe how quickly the world changed, as protests were blocking pipelines and rail traffic, and now everyone is told to stay home, live in fear. Young people don't get to grow up normal, and elderly don't get the care they need in this environment.

With Canada, you ever learn about the Sanitoriums, which came under an epidemic, and you will be as afraid of lockdown as you are of freedom.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Nice weather tomorrow, plus 5 and sunny at 8am and then a small blizzard starting at 2pm with 80km winds .:eek:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
And then to 12-14C in the middle of next week; just in time for my appointment to have the winter tires put on.

I got four new snow tires for my car today installed, I was joking with my oldest daughter it was time to go 4x4 in the snow. Of course she just shook her head at me dad joke. Drives like a new car with new snow tires on it and not the old worn out all seasons

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I got four new snow tires for my car today installed, I was joking with my oldest daughter it was time to go 4x4 in the snow. Of course she just shook her head at me dad joke. Drives like a new car with new snow tires on it and not the old worn out all seasons
You will get to test those babies today apparently.

Reactions: Hunter368
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad