Post-Game Talk: Jets lose 5-3 to the NHL darlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Yes, the boys played a decent game, outshooting Vegas rather handily, while suffering from their continuing problems with finishing. And yes, the outcome could have been different if a few glaring mistakes were eliminated , and, if the refs had not been wearing their pro-Vegas bias so openly. But damn, it is very unlikely that we will play that team again when they so obviously had difficulty getting up emotionally for the game. They really didn`t play with the physical passion that is the kryptonite for our guys..We will have to be MUCH better in a number of areas if we think we can beat that team when there is much on the line.
IMO, when you look at things from this angle, you'll have a tough time enjoying what was a pretty good game for the Jets.
Vegas are the cup champs and we probably should have won that game - end of story.

Could we be better in some areas - of course, but you can always be better (or worse).
I think you also need to consider the talent when we bring up how much better we need to be - it's more like, how much better can we be?
Our best might not be enough when compared to the top teams in the league - we are what we are.
If I were to look at opportunities, I'd list goaltending as the major low hanging fruit - we have the potential to be much better in net.
But at the opposite end of that discussion, out D is not good and I'm not sure there is a lot of room for improvement based on the skill set we deploy.

If you want to look at it from a positive angle, we played well in most areas, and probably up to our standard - with the exception of goaltending (IMO).
I agree we might need to be much better in a number of areas, to beat that team when they are playing their best - nothing shocking in that take - they are a much better team than the Jets.

Last nights game was a positive for the Jets - they were able to outplay a better team. Too bad about the score board - but aside from that, you can't ask for much more than what we got (other than goaltending which is under performing the Jet standard).

HellebuyckOurSaviour

Apr 8, 2014
Winnipeg
We definitely need to work on our PK, it is horrible. Can't run at 70%. Some of those giveaways definitely cost us last night. The first goal I have no idea why DeMelo was like 8ft away from Stone screening Brossoit. 2nd goal was a bad giveaway in our own end which was a tap in for them.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
IMO, when you look at things from this angle, you'll have a tough time enjoying what was a pretty good game for the Jets.
Vegas are the cup champs and we probably should have won that game - end of story.

Could we be better in some areas - of course, but you can always be better (or worse).
I think you also need to consider the talent when we bring up how much better we need to be - it's more like, how much better can we be?
Our best might not be enough when compared to the top teams in the league - we are what we are.
If I were to look at opportunities, I'd list goaltending as the major low hanging fruit - we have the potential to be much better in net.
But at the opposite end of that discussion, out D is not good and I'm not sure there is a lot of room for improvement based on the skill set we deploy.

If you want to look at it from a positive angle, we played well in most areas, and probably up to our standard - with the exception of goaltending (IMO).
I agree we might need to be much better in a number of areas, to beat that team when they are playing their best - nothing shocking in that take - they are a much better team than the Jets.

Last nights game was a positive for the Jets - they were able to outplay a better team. Too bad about the score board - but aside from that, you can't ask for much more than what we got (other than goaltending which is under performing the Jet standard).
Oh, I enjoyed the game as much or more than you might expect. And I`m not looking at everything from a negative perspective either - but a dose of reality is sometimes needed.;)
The balancing perspective you`ve laid out is more than fair - agree with much of it.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I hope the Jets can keep up their play - they've been pretty solid for most of their 4 games so far.

Goaltending has been terrible. PK is not great...lots of trouble clearing.

Appleton should not be on the top line.

Dillon and Stanley >>>> Dillon and Schmidt (f*** they're terrible together...just, no)

Anyway, I hope goaltending comes around.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Ok well this is late but line thoughts.

Beossoit was not good enough which has been the story of our goaltending this year.

JoMo was fantastic again. DeMelo with a rare dud of a game in his end.

Pionk and Dillion were both solid tonight

Stanley was ok but he is limited. Snerg bounced back with a solid night.

Top line: Appelton doesn't belong and never should have been out with the empty net. Mark and Kyle generated a lot of great looks but the line gave up way too many looks as well. Vilardi is missed.

Second line: Perfetti was excellent both ways. Ehlers looked more like himself. Namestnikov at times looked like he belonged in the top 6 but at other times showed why he's a bottom 6 guy that has bounced around. Anyhow I thought at times tonight Cole took the center responsibilities on that line so hopefully the plan is still to move him there. If it's a gradual increase in responsibilities fine but they really need what he brought tonight, but from down the middle if they want to contend this year and beyond.

Third line: it was much more dangerous with Nino there. Iafallo is an excellent all around player. We need more like him. Lowry was solid.

Fourth line: Thought they played well. Kupari continues to flash better then fourth line skill. Gus with a good two-way effort. Barron wasn't as noticeable.

Coaching: it seems Bones is a lot like Mo. He's going to live and die with his guys. The top line got way too many minutes when the second and third lines were playing real good hockey and needed more ice time. Having Appelton out with an empty net was just dumb. The PK also needs to be addressed.

Anyhow yet another game where they played well enough to win.

Agree with all of this, except to say I thought Connor had an especially bad game (he's definitely been frustrating me this and last season...).

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Oh, I enjoyed the game as much or more than you might expect. And I`m not looking at everything from a negative perspective either - but a dose of reality is sometimes needed.;)
The balancing perspective you`ve laid out is more than fair - agree with much of it.
I like your comment on reality - sometimes we get lost in analyzing this team on what they could do better without enough consideration for what should really be realistic expectations.
I don't consider the Jets a top talent team - but I really enjoy watching them compete when they play hard and to their potential.
Most teams, on any given night, may or may not be at their best - IMO, the Jets need to be their best most nights to compete.
IMO, that's what separates the best mid level teams from the herd.

When I see them play as well as they did last night, I'm all in.
I might have used your post to illustrate that point - wasn't meant to be anything more than that.

Reactions: Stumbledore

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agree with all of this, except to say I thought Connor had an especially bad game (he's definitely been frustrating me this and last season...).

He's limited. He's good at finding holes and linking up in the ozone. He was doing that well again tonight. But he's poor in his end and not great through the nz. I guess I'm just at peace with what he is as a player.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I haven't been enamored with our dmen or overall defensive play so far this year. Playing offense has been our best defense. Bad PK and bad goaltending is how you start 1-3.

Reactions: GNP and Hobble

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Since you weren't at the game, shut the f*** up about attendance. U have no right to bitch from your couch
Freedom of speech is no longer a right?

john-stewart-huh.gif

I'm OK with last nights game.... way better than the previous game.

3-3 late in the 3rd until a penalty... much better effort.
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. :nod:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I haven't been enamored with our dmen or overall defensive play so far this year. Playing offense has been our best defense. Bad PK and bad goaltending is how you start 1-3.

We are even better this year controlling the puck. But still not great at shutting down great players around the league.

I have faith PK and Helly will turn around. Defense is still mostly the same so it's hard to expect much improvement.

Reactions: Atoyot

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
If we can't get a top RD, the lines should look like this for a while.

Mo - Pionk
Dillon - Chisolm
Sam - Demelo

Bauer 7th.

As a fan of both wings and jets (long story) I wouldn't mind trading for someone like Määtta. Since we need help now and he wouldn't be too expensive.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
He's limited. He's good at finding holes and linking up in the ozone. He was doing that well again tonight. But he's poor in his end and not great through the nz. I guess I'm just at peace with what he is as a player.
Sadly all our top 6 fwds are limited. Schief by effort levels, kc can’t play d or drive nz. Ehlers and pertan can’t stay healthy. Nino by goal output.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
before this thread closes.....

this clip from Mike Kelly is mostly from Vegas' POV in their game against us. but cites board battles, Vegas' transition game as main strengths vs us this game.

1697905327573.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad