Jets Left Wing Depth & Future

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think given the team makeup Burmi will be the first to go and could actually fetch a decent return given he's an RFA. He could probably net us a 3rd-6th pick I think.

It's not worth trading him for a 3rd or later pick...that's not a decent return. Lowry's our only 3rd round hit since 2011. Far more likely to get a Kosmachuk or Glover type player - and not that they're bad, but they're likely going to be years away from a bottom-6 role in the NHL if they ever do pan out.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Thinking about trade possibilities should it come to that. I wonder if Ladd could be traded to a contender for a good young roster player instead of a pick as the centerpiece. JT Miller? That would help keep playoff hopes alive for this year and leave options open for the future.

Do it Chevy. A good young roster player & a high draft pick (or prospect) would be the least I'd expect back from trading Ladd but I hope it happens in the next couple months (wait until Jan & we'd have to fall off a cliff to consider trading Ladd/Buff at the TD)

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's not worth trading him for a 3rd or later pick...that's not a decent return. Lowry's our only 3rd round hit since 2011. Far more likely to get a Kosmachuk or Glover type player - and not that they're bad, but they're likely going to be years away from a bottom-6 role in the NHL if they ever do pan out.

That's not a bad return considering his production and age. He's got potential but every year he gets closer to 30 that potential gets further way we'd never get higher than a 3rd IMO.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
It depends on the style of play. If you don't pressure the puck carrier and play a perimeter game, a smaller player isn't likely to be hurt, IMO. Bogo is likely just injure prone.

Jets play a very aggressive physical style, and seem to prefer a player with size and strength to execute this. They are transitioning to a more skilled team, but I don't think they want to go too far over to a small skilled team. Not in the West.

over the last two seasons the jets have added:

Perrault,
Burmi,
Petan,
Ehlers

while also drafting/acquiring

de leo
morrisey
lipon
lemieux
Spacek

To be blunt, the Jets actions speak pretty loudly that they are far more concerned with skill and talent then they are with size. I would say trying to mind read how many smaller guys they want to have on the team is a just stabbing in the dark at this point.

Also keep in mind, Copp, who is often referenced as "big" isn't really that big at all.

I just think you can see what you want to see with the lineup if your looking for it. I see a trend towards skill over anything else, size and "toughness" be damned.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Also keep in mind, Copp, who is often referenced as "big" isn't really that big at all.

Unless my eyes deceived me at a previous practice, he seems a lot closer to size in Thorburn than someone like Little. Of course it can be hard to tell with all the equipment on, but it was obvious Copp is a big kid.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
That's not a bad return considering his production and age. He's got potential but every year he gets closer to 30 that potential gets further way we'd never get higher than a 3rd IMO.

he's historically been an exceptional defensive player and penalty killer. He's also cost controlled for another 2 years.

That's a brutal return.

if he hasn't changed at all and was 28-29 with an expiring contract, i would maybe then accept a third, but that's a long ways away.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Unless my eyes deceived me at a previous practice, he seems a lot closer to size in Thorburn than someone like Little. Of course it can be hard to tell with all the equipment on, but it was obvious Copp is a big kid.

granted I have not been to a practice or a game in person yet but copp is listed as 6'1" 200lbs.

pretty sure that's average at best height, though he's definitely heavy.

my point was mainly that there seems to be no trend towards acquiring lots of/more big players recently, and assuming that there would be one seems like stabbing in the dark.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
over the last two seasons the jets have added:

Perrault,
Burmi,
Petan,
Ehlers

while also drafting/acquiring

de leo
morrisey
lipon
lemieux
Spacek

To be blunt, the Jets actions speak pretty loudly that they are far more concerned with skill and talent then they are with size. I would say trying to mind read how many smaller guys they want to have on the team is a just stabbing in the dark at this point.

I just think you can see what you want to see with the lineup if your looking for it. I see a trend towards skill over anything else, size and "toughness" be damned.

Lemieux is thick too. He's not small.

They have also added Scheifele, Trouba and Lowry. Chiarot, Stafford, Myers and Copp. And as others have mentioned, Copp is thick.

Have they drafted smaller players with skill? Sure. Have those players made the line up? Ehlers and Petan have. Will the others? Unlikely, IMO. Other than Connor and Morissey.

I can't see them adding 2 or 3 more smallish players to the lineup, IMO, I don't think they do. And i'm not looking solely at height, it's more so weight. 200+ lbs.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Our future LWers with linemates...
Connor Sheifele Ehlers
Petan Little Wheeler
Harkins Lowry Roslovic
Lemieux Copp Olsen

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
granted I have not been to a practice or a game in person yet but copp is listed as 6'1" 200lbs.

pretty sure that's average at best height, though he's definitely heavy.

my point was mainly that there seems to be no trend towards acquiring lots of/more big players recently, and assuming that there would be one seems like stabbing in the dark.

6'1", 206. Height doesn't matter as much as mass. He doesn't stand out as big in a league full of 6'4", 220 lb guys but he is closer to big than to small.

The Jets seem to draft for overall ability with no particular reference to size but I am sure Chevy likes to find a high skill, high hockey IQ player who also has a big body to work with.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
If I had to bet on it I'd say Olsen won't.

I agree.

The only one I think will (not a guarantee, but should) is Lemieux. He may be the least talented (excluding Olsen) but Maurice seems to like his game and will give him a very good shot at playing a bottom 6 role as early as next year, IMO. He adds an element the Jets seem to want in their lineup.

Roslovic and Harkins could, but they may not. I'm hopeful they both progress into a solid mid-6 player. Time will tell.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think Harkins and Roslovic will need some time in the AHL before they have a chance at cracking the lineup. Roslovic is a great offensive talent but needs work on his defence. We'll get to see what he's really all about at the WJC I think.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Won't be surprised if 2 of Harkins, Roslovic, Lemieux, and Olsen do not make 200 NHL games.

That's not a huge stretch because at least two of those may struggle to make the NHL at all & <100 games would be expected for them (Olsen, Lemieux). Who knows how Harkins & Roslovic will develop - sound like better than 50/50 to make it now, but 200 games is another story.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That's not a huge stretch because at least two of those may struggle to make the NHL at all & <100 games would be expected for them (Olsen, Lemieux). Who knows how Harkins & Roslovic will develop - sound like better than 50/50 to make it now, but 200 games is another story.

200 games is not a mark of excellence. Halischuk has 250, Keaton Ellerby has 212.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad