Jets Left Wing Depth & Future

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I was just thinking today about the possible implication's of Ladd signing here long term and the Left Wingers were currently have, as well as those coming up the system.

Right now we have Ladd, Perreault, Burmi and Petan as our main Left Wingers.

Ladd: Ladd still seems to be in the prime years of his career and hasn't slowed down yet. He should be coming off this season with an extension, though Chevy and Co. may choose to trade him at the deadline if the team fails to remain in the playoff race, it's unlikely they do, but it's a possibility. If we resign him I'm guessing it's at least a 5 year contract, probably more. So that is 5+ years of a $6+million Ladd. It's unpredictable where he will drop off but I'm guessing he remains a top 9 player until at least 35 years old.

Perreault: Perry is still young at 27 and looks to be hitting his prime as an injury prone but still productive 40+ point winger. He's also versatile enough to play any position up front and for his size is a very physical guy. Someone the Jets surely love. After this season he has 1 year left on his contract @ $3mill.

Burmistrov: It's unclear yet whether 24 year old Burmi will ever become the player he was drafted to be but that is looking less and less likely. He will still have spot in the NHL as a capable bottom 6 checking winger and Penalty killer. He has one year left after this year and about $1.5 mill. He could prove to be a valuable trade deadline piece as he remains a RFA. Though the Jets may choose to keep him, though his role will continue to be a bottom 6 checking winger.

Petan: Petaning is a thing. Nic looks like he isn't far away from being a capable middle 6 NHL player. By next year he could easily be slotting into that role. This leaves many question to be answered at that point. Such as who goes down to the 4th line and where dos Petan fit best? My opinion is that the Jets are grooming Petan to replace Perreault. He may already be a better puck mover and will be just as much of a force on the PP. He needs to work on his physical game to match that of Perreault's but Petan sure can set up a play.

What will really dictate the Jets decisions is the kids coming up, some that could make an impact as early as next year.

Connor: Many around HFJets think that the Jets will develop Connor as a Left winger. If that is the case I believe he will be groomed as Ladd's replacement on the 1st line. The talent is certainly there. He plays a strong two-way game already at a young age, something the Jets place a heavy emphasis on for Ladd. He already has a killer shot, is a great playmaker and has blazing fast speed. So much speed that he is already probably top 3 in the Jets organization. If his play in the NCAA continues I think the Jets will try to sign him into the organization next summer. If he signs, there is a chance that he could blow the doors down at camp just like Ehlers did this year. Though it's likely the Jets will have him play with the Moose for a season first.

Lemieux: Brenden has already demonstrated that he can play "his" game at the NHL level and was one of the last cuts at this years camp. His blend of tenacious checking, defensive play, net front agitation and offensive upside are perfect for a bottom 6 role on any team and next year he will not be getting sent down without a fight.

Foley: I have not seen anything from Foley yet but from his scouting reports he looks to be another agitating winger with scoring upside. His chances of getting a contract soon are probably on hold until he can prove to the Jets org that he deserves one. So I wouldn't pencil him in until we see what he can accomplish at the NCAA level.

Blomqvist: I have seen a very large amount of Blomqvist and may have soured on him a bit during that time. He has huge size and is a good skater considering. He is much like a Tyler Myers on forward though not as agile and though he has good hands for a big guy they are not anywhere near Myers level. I don't think Blomer will be a threat to force our hand on the LW for a few years though if it all.

So with all that being said we have;
1 Player (Ladd) whose contract expires this year.
2 Players (Perreault, Burmi) whose contracts expire next year
1 Player (Petan) looking to move into the top 9.
1 Player (Lemieux) looking to crack the lineup.
1 Outside player (Connor) who could easily force our hands like Ehlers
2 Players (Foley, Blomqvist) that we really don't have to worry about.

In my opinion we are most likely going to have to make a move on one of (Perreault or Burmi) next year and if Connor forces our hands possibly both.

Remember this is all speculation at this point but who do we move or re-sign or send down to make room for the talent coming in?
Down the road if Connor does indeed crack the lineup and live up to expectations. What happens with Ladd? Does signing him end up handicapping us down the road as he moves further down the lineup while Petan and Connor move up? Or are we okay with paying a player outside the top 6, $6+ mil for a smaller but still important role?

Last edited:

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I really hope Perreault fits into the long term plan for the Jets. He's an exciting player to watch. And he seems to have formed a lot of chemistry with Scheifs. He also adds some much needed creativity to our PP.

There's no doubt that the Perreault/Petan comparisons are inevitable. Maybe they will be competing for the same spot downline. I really like Petan, too. But as of right now, I'd prefer to lose either Burmi or Petan than Perreault (even considering Perreault's greater cap hit).

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Connor has been playing RW at Michigan

He's also a more than capable LW and C. Though most here have him labelled for LW.

Edit: There is without a doubt more competition for C/RW spots in the Jets than LW so I think the Jets will groom him for LW as well at this point.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
He's also a more than capable LW and C. Though most here have him labelled for LW.

Edit: There is without a doubt more competition for C/RW spots in the Jets than LW so I think the Jets will groom him for LW as well at this point.

I was just pointing out where he's playing now so he may not ever be a LW. Also center is probably very unlikely at this point IMO I think he's destined to be a winger.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Wingers swap sides far more often than defenders do and many of the Jets RW have played LW (Kosmachuk, Lipon, etc.).

Also, many of our centres have experience on the wing as well (De Leo, Spacek, etc).

Causes depth to be a bit more fluid.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I was just pointing out where he's playing now so he may not ever be a LW. Also center is probably very unlikely at this point IMO I think he's destined to be a winger.

I think he will be a winger at this point too. But the right side is so jammed with prospects and with Ehlers there I think it's more likely the Jets put him on the left. In time we may see a Connor-Scheif-Ehlers first line. Connor and Ehlers can easily be swapped on either wing. They are both versatile. The two of them playing together just seems like destiny to me.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Wingers swap sides far more often than defenders do and many of the Jets RW have played LW (Kosmachuk, Lipon, etc.).

Also, many of our centres have experience on the wing as well (De Leo, Spacek, etc).

Which makes it even harder to predict who will stay and go.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
To me it really is this simple:

If Ladd is willing to sign a deal that works for both himself and the team's future flexibility, they will bring him back.

If he wants a certain term, number and movement clause that doesn't work for us, he leaves and we replace him from within or a better fit from FA.

If he leaves, resigning Perreault will be a higher priority. If he signs, Perreault's unlikely to sign another deal.

It would sting to lose a guy as good as Ladd, but a bad contract is even worse imo.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Would you rather keep Ladd or Perreault?

To me that is actually a really tough question. Ladd will be really useful in playoff situations even as he ages. He can easily fit into a checking role when he gets older and is a clear cut leader. But he will more than likely command a lot of money+term and that can't be overlooked.

Perreault has been great the past two years for the Jets and has a tenacious style of play for a little guy but ultimately he is really injury prone and I don't think will ever be much more than a 40-45 point guy. He may fall off a cliff completely at some point north of 30 years old too. I think Ladd has more staying power in that regard as a guy that could still play a solid bottom 6 role as he ages.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
In my opinion we are most likely going to have to make a move on one of (Perreault or Burmi) next year and if Connor forces our hands possibly both.

Welcome to having an NHL team with depth! I don't think we need to move anyone. But the timing of the Burmi and Perreault contracts coming up is interesting, even though Burmi is an RFA. Also we may transition to a more talented 4th line at some point. In the world of problems, this is a good one to have!

Also top 9s are more fluid than they've ever been. No issue with having Ladd on the "third" line in a few years. He is a 3rd liner after all!

Last edited:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Very tough decision looming with Ladd. If his demands are too high then what? Trading him at the deadline would crush team morale and playoff expectations.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Agree with this. See it more as winger depth. Virtually all wingers will play both sides under certain circumstances. Some preform better on one side or the other, for some it makes little or no difference. Also until a player makes the team, they are still just a prospect some will pan out some won't. You can't plan your future on every player developing to their draft day potential. Connor is the only one that seems certain to be able to take the next step.

That being said, out of the current LWs I think they keep Ladd and at least try to keep MP. Burmi is a bigger question mark. Petan could play all 3 positions.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Very tough decision looming with Ladd. If his demands are too high then what? Trading him at the deadline would crush team morale and playoff expectations.

Thinking about trade possibilities should it come to that. I wonder if Ladd could be traded to a contender for a good young roster player instead of a pick as the centerpiece. JT Miller? That would help keep playoff hopes alive for this year and leave options open for the future.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I think in the future, we'll have as our LW'ers:

1st line 'scoring' winger - Connor
2nd line '2-way/power' winger - Ladd (or 'Ladd' replacement- 6'2+ 210+ lb who plays solid, physical game and can chip in offensively)
3rd line 'aggressive/defensive' winger - Lowry (with Harkins as 3rd line C)
4th line 'agitating' winger - Lemiuex

RW'ers would include guys like Wheeler, Ehlers, Roslovic, Lipon and maybe Armia.

I know some may disagree, but I would love to have a guy like Lawson Crouse fill that 2nd line spot. Florida wouldn't give him up, but he's a guy I'd want.

Connor-Little-Wheeler
Crouse-Scheifele-Ehlers
Lowry-Harkins-Roslovic
Lemiuex-Copp-Lipon

Without Crouse, Ladd is in the top 6. I don't see Chevy wanting a L side that has Connor, Perreault, Burmi and Petan. Connor, yes, but not a collection of 'smaller' wingers. Especially against teams like St Louis, LA, or Anaheim, IMO.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Off topic, but:
I never disliked Crouse. I always thought Crouse will likely turn out something like Pouliot, who is a player I like.
The issue is you don't draft a player with Pouliot upside over a player with the upside that Marner and Strome have, yet many placed Crouse above those two.

Now, to comment directly on your post, I care more about player performance than player type. If Connor, Perreault, Burmi, and Petan is a more effective mix, I don't care if they are smaller.

I like to say: A player as good as Perreault and 6'2 is no better than Perreault. The reason why he's equally as good is in part because he is tall/big since size and strength are only part of the equation. Now, a player equally skilled as Perreault and >6'2 would be better, but you could just equally say the player is just better (and that his name is Getzlaf).

Last edited:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Would you rather keep Ladd or Perreault?

Ladd easily as a player but it depends almost entirely on how much we'd be looking at signing him for.

There's definitely some wiggle room as far as paying him a bit above what he's worth because of his captaincy, what he means to the team and how hard he will be to replace next season.

But man, watching heart and soul guys like Richards and Brown, who are a year older, and how bad they are now? A six year deal where we aren't paying him under market value at the beginning makes zero sense.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think given the team makeup Burmi will be the first to go and could actually fetch a decent return given he's an RFA. He could probably net us a 3rd-6th pick I think.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Off topic, but:
I never disliked Crouse. I always thought Crouse will likely turn out something like Pouliot, who is a player I like.
The issue is you don't draft a player with Pouliot upside over a player with the upside that Marner and Strome have, yet many placed Crouse above those two.

Now, to comment directly on your post, I care more about player performance than player type. If Connor, Perreault, Burmi, and Petan is a more effective mix, I don't care if they are smaller.

I like to say: A player as good as Perreault and 6'2 is no better than Perreault. The reason why he's equally as good is in part because he is tall/big since size and strength are only part of the equation. Now, a player equally skilled as Perreault and >6'2 would be better, but you could just equally say the player is just better (and that his name is Getzlaf).

I get that, garret. And I agree to some extent.

What concerns me with a smaller player is their susceptibility to injury especially facing larger more physical players often. We know Perreault's injury history. Now you can argue a more physical player puts themselves in harms way more often too, but many seem to be able to withstand that punishment better. Or can play through it. Shoulders are my biggest concern with smaller players.

TNSE's signing of Peluso and inserting him into the lineup against larger teams seems to say they value size and strength over a smaller skilled player, against certain teams. That's why I can't see them icing a predominantly smaller lineup.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Is size really a significant factor with injury occurrence?
I mean Bogosian is big. We all know how his health tends to be.
I actually don't know the answer to the question.

I mean, we do know bottom six players tend to get injured more often than top six (despite less icetime), and defenders more than forwards.
To me, I think play style and the individual themselves are the primary factors... but I'm just guessing.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Kane is definitely a big player and has run into injury troubles especially in the last year, two injured knees and a major shoulder surgery. I think style of play has a lot to do with it and Perreault definitely doesn't shy away from physical play for a small guy which I think makes him even more injury prone than most. I feel like he could very easily drop off a cliff in his early 30's as well both physically and production wise.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Is size really a significant factor with injury occurrence?
I mean Bogosian is big. We all know how his health tends to be.
I actually don't know the answer to the question.

I mean, we do know bottom six players tend to get injured more often than top six (despite less icetime), and defenders more than forwards.
To me, I think play style and the individual themselves are the primary factors... but I'm just guessing.

It depends on the style of play. If you don't pressure the puck carrier and play a perimeter game, a smaller player isn't likely to be hurt, IMO. Bogo is likely just injure prone.

Jets play a very aggressive physical style, and seem to prefer a player with size and strength to execute this. They are transitioning to a more skilled team, but I don't think they want to go too far over to a small skilled team. Not in the West.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad