Proposal: Jets-Leafs

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Leave it at Corrado for Armia.

**** pavalec, sign Enroth. Michalek is still an NHL player, Pavalec on the other hand looks like an average to below average backup.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
the leafs just traded a 4m backup. can't see them being interested in another. michalek as a 3rd liner is more useful han one of the worst tenders in the league as an overpaid backup

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Getting Armia makes no sense. We reasonably have 19 guys who could crack our forward lineup already. Maybe 8 or 9 D.

The cap swap makes a little sense. Better to spend 3.9 million on a backup than 4 million on a forward we don't need and 2 more on a backup.

Still think I'd pass however.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

**** pavalec, sign Enroth. Michalek is still an NHL player, Pavalec on the other hand looks like an average to below average backup.

I'd say Armia for Corrado slants the value towards the Leafs. The Pavelec side slants towards the Jets. That's why everything is combined.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I'd say Armia for Corrado slants the value towards the Leafs. The Pavelec side slants towards the Jets. That's why everything is combined.

Armia hasnt done anything in the AHL or NHL to justify slanting this trade. he was drafted higher yeah, but..... meh

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Armia hasnt done anything in the AHL or NHL to justify slanting this trade. he was drafted higher yeah, but..... meh

This isn't exactly a blockbuster trade of valuable pieces. Just a tweaking of current rosters to meet needs of both teams. The money is equal and I'd say the value of the players is as well. In fact I was combining two trades that were proposed in other threads that were decently received by both teams fans.

Hell both Armia and Corrado could end up on waivers this year anyways, and both are unlikely to be protected in the expansion draft.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
This isn't exactly a blockbuster trade of valuable pieces. Just a tweaking of current rosters to meet needs of both teams. The money is equal and I'd say the value of the players is as well. In fact I was combining two trades that were proposed in other threads that were decently received by both teams fans.

Hell both Armia and Corrado could end up on waivers this year anyways, and both are unlikely to be protected in the expansion draft.

yeah i just would prefer the leafs to sign a cheap guy or grab one of the waiver goalies. pavelec just isnt good

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa

You picked up Corrado on waivers. I doubt the Jets are going to give the guy up for a 7th defenseman.

I would give up a 3rd from the Oilers for Armia. 3rd and 4th.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Leafs don't want Pavelec. If they want an AHL backup they'd just call up Sparks and save over $3m. The Leafs taking him would be like when they got Laich. A salary dump with a prospect attached.

Michalek will probably be dealt at the deadline for a pick.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
We just traded a 4m backup for nothing....we aren't acquiring a worse 4m backup for something

You wanna trade Hutch? We'll talk

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Like the value isn't bad, but I don't think the justification is up to snuff.

I think we value Michalek, and really the only way we'd trade him is for futures or for someone that will bring back value to us. Pavelec does nothing for us.

Then Corrado for Armia solves our defensive log jam, but creates a bigger one at forward. Our forward log jam was bigger to start off with.

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016

Wait why is Corrado going on waivers? Unless we acquire another defenseman Corrado is our 6/7 guy.

Reilly - Hunwick
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Marincin - Polak
Corrado

He doesn't get sent to the minors unless 1 maybe 2 guys beat him for a NHL job THIS year. And even then we likely trade Polak or Hunwick for assets like we have been doing the last few years before waiving Corrado anyway.

As for Pavelec, if we wanted an expensive backup goalie we would have kept Bernier. Yes technically you can argue it was a cap thing and we could take on Pavelec if Winnipeg is willing to take on a Greening or Michalek but only if they also sent us a decent asset to do so (think like the Laich deal, selling us cap you won't use for a piece you will use, Winnik in this example).

Pavelec, Armia, 2018 2nd
For
Michalek, Corrado

Personally I would just remove Corrado for Armia as we won't waive Corrado baring another signing or trade and if you are waiving Armia then we have first dibs since we were 30th.

Obviously Winnipeg has no business doing this deal and giving up a 2nd for a rental cap dump but history shows this is the cost (Laich, Savard(surprisingly)).

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Michalek for Pavelec works fine.

In terms of the Leaf's depth chart, Connor Carrick is definitely above Frank Corrado.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Wait why is Corrado going on waivers? Unless we acquire another defenseman Corrado is our 6/7 guy.

Reilly - Hunwick
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Marincin - Polak
Corrado

He doesn't get sent to the minors unless 1 maybe 2 guys beat him for a NHL job THIS year. And even then we likely trade Polak or Hunwick for assets like we have been doing the last few years before waiving Corrado anyway.

As for Pavelec, if we wanted an expensive backup goalie we would have kept Bernier. Yes technically you can argue it was a cap thing and we could take on Pavelec if Winnipeg is willing to take on a Greening or Michalek but only if they also sent us a decent asset to do so (think like the Laich deal, selling us cap you won't use for a piece you will use, Winnik in this example).

Pavelec, Armia, 2018 2nd
For
Michalek, Corrado

Personally I would just remove Corrado for Armia as we won't waive Corrado baring another signing or trade and if you are waiving Armia then we have first dibs since we were 30th.

Obviously Winnipeg has no business doing this deal and giving up a 2nd for a rental cap dump but history shows this is the cost (Laich, Savard(surprisingly)).

Wheres carrick?

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
Wheres carrick?

Uh, 1st line RW? My bad, guess that makes Corrado more waiveable eh? Still, the rest of my argument is valid, unless we get another crazy Laich level heist we are not taking on a big contact backup goalie.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Uh, 1st line RW? My bad, guess that makes Corrado more waiveable eh? Still, the rest of my argument is valid, unless we get another crazy Laich level heist we are not taking on a big contact backup goalie.

I'm open to Michalek for Pavelec - both are 1 year, and we have a major logjam up front, this helps with that and for 1 year of Pavelec, I can deal with that.

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
I'm open to Michalek for Pavelec - both are 1 year, and we have a major logjam up front, this helps with that and for 1 year of Pavelec, I can deal with that.

As long as we get a good piece like a 2nd round pick then I'm ok with it. Thing is why give up a guy we could use to insulate our young wingers for a backup goalie we can get in FA without a benefit? It is either a 2nd round pick with Michalek like we got for Laich or pass.

On that note we could send Michalek for Niemi and a top piece like Honka or a 1st. With all the salary coming off the books this year we can easily afford a $4.5M cap hit next year for a top rated piece in return. Might be too pricey for Dallas but maybe we can add in someone we are not a big fan of in training camp to sweeten the deal. Say like:

Michalek, Holland, Corrado
For
Niemi, Honka, 2nd

Or something along the lines of that. Send some decent young guys but let's face it, bottom line players for a potential top 4D and a high pick all to take on a veteran goalie cap dump.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach

Connor Carrick. The defenseman that led the AHL in playoff scoring in spite of playing one less playoff series than his competition. That guy. His performance more or less inked him a spot on the Leafs lineup. If that's not the case, then he'll be a good replacement for a guy like Hunwick if and when there's trades/injuries.

Also, I don't think the Leafs can move a waiver wire pickup this quickly.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad