Pre-Game Talk: Jets in Helsinki

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
Am I right is assuming Laine is a bigger star in Finland than Barkov? Why is that I think Ales might be the better player currently although Pate is awesome and has the swagger?
You are right. No doubt Barkov is the better player and more important player as an 1C, but Laine scores the goals and is generally more media friendly while Barkov stays out of the spotlight. Sometimes every single thing Laine does either in or out of the rink seems to be a headline.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Here is some stuff you might find useful:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/helsinki-tips-for-visiting-finland-capital/index.html
48 Hours in Helsinki: Where to go and what to see
My Handful of Tips for Visiting Helsinki - Hippie In Heels
10 things that surprised me in Helsinki - Young Adventuress
Helsinki travel tips. Dos and don'ts for visiting Finland's capital.

My Helsinki (this link has guides for public transport etc. Helsinki was voted as having the second best public transportation system in Europe a while back and it is pretty great and easy to use.)

https://www.reittiopas.fi/ (insert source and destination address and it will tell you how to get there via public transport)

HSL app (if you have internet-on-the-go, you can purchase tickets with your phone with this app)

As mentioned, November is a bit of an awkward month to visit since it's not all christmasy yet, but it is dark (and probably wet). But just dress properly and have a drink and you will be fine.

Reactions: GJF

Jaska

Oct 1, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Internet-on-the-go is pretty cheap in Finland. R-kioskis are all over the place and they are offering plenty of prepaid options. For example 1 Giga for €5,90 prepaid.

I also prefer public transport, as it is often the fastest way to go. It's also cost effective €9 for a day and €18 for three days (inside Helsinki). Going to/from Hartwall Arena train is the best and fastest option in my opinion. Reittiopas and HSL app are recommended! Also, Google maps shows public options (stops, lines, times).

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Gray Matter

Sep 10, 2018
Winnipeg
We have a group of 5 going to Helsinki from Winnipeg. It would be awesome to get a group of traveling fans together to meet-up before the games, although I'm sure the Finns will be great to hang out with as well. We are in Helsinki from Oct 29th until Nov 3.

Any Finns on this page to recommend a venue near the arena or good place to meet?

FinJetster

Mar 1, 2015
Kerava, Finland
We have a group of 5 going to Helsinki from Winnipeg. It would be awesome to get a group of traveling fans together to meet-up before the games, although I'm sure the Finns will be great to hang out with as well. We are in Helsinki from Oct 29th until Nov 3.

Any Finns on this page to recommend a venue near the arena or good place to meet?
Me and my friends used to gather around before the games at the bar that used to be on the Pasila railway station. Now the old station is demolished and the new one is just being build so AFAIK there's no place to hang out in there.

One idea could be to meet up somewhere around the Central railway station, before taking the train to Pasila. As it's in the heart of the city there's plenty of places to choose from. Presuming we stay on the bar theme, there's bunch of them at the station itself, but also everywhere around it. And if you add the theme of the occasion for the bar, you'll get for example Sports Academy Grill and Bar that at least used to be the largest sports bar in Finland. It's probably still the best known, at least in Helsinki. It is located just across the street to the Central railway station. At this time of the year they also show hockey every single day, NHL, KHL, Liiga and CHL (Champions Hockey League).

sashalaine

Apr 2, 2016
Helsinki
One idea could be to meet up somewhere around the Central railway station, before taking the train to Pasila. As it's in the heart of the city there's plenty of places to choose from.
Yeah, there's really no bars or restaurants near the arena, but there's plenty around the Central railway station. From there it's a 5 min train ride and a 10 min walk to the arena. In addition to Sports Academy there are a few other sports bars as well: at least Elmo Sport Bistro and O'Leary's.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
There’s a decent chance to still get fairly good weather in Helsinki at this time of the year. You might get comfortable +10 with dry air and a number of hours of sunshine.

I didn’t take out my winter jacket from storage last winter - a warm hoodie and a light wind-blocking jacket was enough.

There are a number of restaurants with UV lamps in Helsinki center. If you like fresh air (or like to filter the air you breath), those are good options. I’m not sure if it will already be glogg / gluhwein season, but it’s quite pleasant in my experience.

I kinda wish I would be in Helsinki for the games but after 16 months of waiting my US work visa finally came through.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
There’s a decent chance to still get fairly good weather in Helsinki at this time of the year. You might get comfortable +10 with dry air and a number of hours of sunshine.

I didn’t take out my winter jacket from storage last winter - a warm hoodie and a light wind-blocking jacket was enough.

There are a number of restaurants with UV lamps in Helsinki center. If you like fresh air (or like to filter the air you breath), those are good options. I’m not sure if it will already be glogg / gluhwein season, but it’s quite pleasant in my experience.

I kinda wish I would be in Helsinki for the games but after 16 months of waiting my US work visa finally came through.

Congrats on the visa!! I know how stressful that process is :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Sounds like a few people I know are making the trek from Winnipeg. They will absolutely find fun if there is any to be found.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad