Pre-Game Talk: Jets in Helsinki

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I hope I'm not the only one here but I would like to get a thread going for the Helsinki games in which we can talk about good spots in Helsinki, things to do before the game or maybe around the arena area or even get a meet-up going.

I'm going to be in Helsinki with my girlfriend vom 30th of October to the 3rd of November. I've got one ticket (yeah she'll find something to do meanwhile) for the first game for section 304, row 9, seat 107. Where are you going to sit?

cut.jpg

So looking forward to see Armia play <3

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
That's awesome! Happy that you'll get to finally see a game!

As for Helsinki, I've only been once briefly en route to Tampere, but what I saw was beautiful!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Oh and yes you heard right: After following this franchise closely for around ten years I FINALLY ACTUALLY GET TO SEE A ****ING GAME!!! AND IT FEELS SO GOOOD!!!

Ok this is pretty pretty cool!!!!!

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
This trip has the potential of derailing our season. I recall Anaheim played games overseas a few years ago, and they had a terrible season. After the season some players said the trip overseas really messed them up, with their routine etc.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
This trip has the potential of derailing our season. I recall Anaheim played games overseas a few years ago, and they had a terrible season. After the season some players said the trip overseas really messed them up, with their routine etc.

As long as they won't succumb too deep to an immersion of Finnish Sauna culture and limit their beer drinking to bare minimum when making those necessary excursions to the core cultural aspects of the nation, I don't think there are much to worry about. I admit though that there may be much higher level and slightly different kind media and PR pressure upon them than what is maybe considered normal during a season, but sure they can handle with it: full scale media coverage is ensured. Games are played in Helsinki, not at some distant backward village in a woods (relatively speaking). Occasion is also very important to whole Finnish hockey community, so I expect that everything will go as smoothly as possible.

But streets of Winnipeg maybe silent and more desolate than normally during the trip of the team. :naughty:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
But streets of Winnipeg maybe silent and more desolate than normally during the trip of the team. :naughty:

Indeed. Locals will have to take solace in their parks and wifi.

I'm supposed to be in Copenhagen the week before and may try to extend my trip and wangle tickets to this one. Or stand outside the arena and watch it on my phone.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Well, November in Helsinki, what can one say... Come in June and it's a paradise where the sun barely sets, but November, or the Death Month as we call it in Finnish (well, marraskuu in old Finnish really does mean death, but no-one really makes the connection naturally) is something completely more bleak. In North America Helsinki would be situated slightly north of Anchorage or in the middle of the Hudson Bay.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Yep @Ilwyd If it's raining (like almost surely does), rain will be either water or very wet snow. And that darkness Ha!

However, november weather in Helsinki is surely more confortable than it is in average december! Welcome!

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I think anyone that can survive Winnipeg in January will be ok in Helsinki in November.

Sure. In Winnipeg there still exist something that can be called 'winter'. In Helsinki, or generally around southern parts of Finland it isn't that sure anymore do we get even real snowy winter every year. And when snow comes, it may not last long. It's very dark without any snow near edge of Polar night, you know.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
I think anyone that can survive Winnipeg in January will be ok in Helsinki in November.

I guess it would certainly be way colder (and drier and less windy) but with several hours more sunlight. Well, if I ever win the lottery it would be Madeira for me from September to early May and just the summers in Finland...

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
Sure. In Winnipeg there still exist something that can be called 'winter'. In Helsinki, or generally around southern parts of Finland it isn't that sure anymore do we get even real snowy winter every year. And when snow comes, it may not last long. It's very dark without any snow near edge of Polar night, you know.

I'm aware it gets dark and stays dark for many hours. -30 to -40 is more harsh, imo.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well, November in Helsinki, what can one say... Come in June and it's a paradise where the sun barely sets, but November, or the Death Month as we call it in Finnish (well, marraskuu in old Finnish really does mean death, but no-one really makes the connection naturally) is something completely more bleak. In North America Helsinki would be situated slightly north of Anchorage or in the middle of the Hudson Bay.

As long as they are travelling from Manitoba my guess is Helsinki will seem pretty kick ass.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I'm aware it gets dark and stays dark for many hours. -30 to -40 is more harsh, imo.
The dark actually f***s up your brain for half a year. I'd trade it to some -30 to -40 with pleasure. I know you won't believe it before you experience it, but It's crazy what it does to your mood.

Not saying that a weather that cold is nice either. It's just easier to get away from.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I really wish my kids were a bit older and I hadn't just traveled to Spain for 10 days because this would be a really really fun trip. I would love to be a part of the vibe for these games in Helsinki.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka

Yes, sure more harsh if it's -30 or more and combined with darkness. No disagreements. My point was that without snow cover it is really dark, also during day time if there are any cloud cover. (Northern parts of the country/Lapland is then whole other topic.)

The dark actually ****s up your brain for half a year. I'd trade it to some -30 to -40 with pleasure. I know you won't believe it before you experience it, but It's crazy what it does to your mood.

Not saying that a weather that cold is nice either. It's just easier to get away from.

Haha. Natural selection over innumerable generations has cleaned worst melatone metabolic suicidal candidates out from our gene pool, leaving only assortment of genes causing (usually) non-fatal but variably deep depressed mind-sets to inhabitate our population.

Symptoms about that phenom are occasionally visible on these threads too. :laugh: But anyhow, I'm pretty sure these things are rather familiar issues also for casual Winnipeggers.

Reactions: Past Considerations

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
You Finns are making out the darkness as something terrible. I used to live in Whitehorse, Yukon (I come by my user name honestly) which is slightly further north than Helsinki. The amount of Daylight in early November isn't going to be that bad. It'll still be 8 hours or so, which is something a Winnipegger would be used to in winter.

It's not like the Jets are going around Christmas time - which is when the lark of light really does get freaky.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
The dark actually ****s up your brain for half a year. I'd trade it to some -30 to -40 with pleasure. I know you won't believe it before you experience it, but It's crazy what it does to your mood.

I'm from Orkney. We know a thing or two about dark winters (and sun lamps). I'd take cold and sun any day now.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
You Finns are making out the darkness as something terrible. I used to live in Whitehorse, Yukon (I come by my user name honestly) which is slightly further north than Helsinki. The amount of Daylight in early November isn't going to be that bad. It'll still be 8 hours or so, which is something a Winnipegger would be used to in winter.

It's not like the Jets are going around Christmas time - which is when the lark of light really does get freaky.
True, early November isn't that dark, but it's very depressing since the weather is pretty much rainy and cloudy. That's probably what people are getting at. My earlier remark about rather having cold weather than really short days was just about winter months in general.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad